Reprinted labels vs Keeping it O.G

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
How do you guys feel about reprinted labels for mvs carts?

There are a lot of loose carts out there that had their labels molested by operators back in the days; the serials were stretched off using keys, written over using heavy pens and god knows what else.

I don't want to "waste away" real labels that are damaged yet still show the serials, I feel it's part of history and it must be preserved.. But I've been thinking about getting replacements for the ones with un-salvageables serials. If it can't be fixed, well.. Maybe there's no harm in that.

It's kinda like why I don't buy kits even if its for a game that I really want, I feel that games still in their kits should be kept for people who want them. I'm happy with just a shockbox, and a clean, non-boot, working cart that plays without problems

Still, I would not want to potentially "hurt" the value of a cart by using a replacement label. There's also the whole authenticity factor obviously..

Soooo how do you guys feel about using replacement labels for mvs carts? :cool:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'd rather keep them original, but clean.

I have a few with replacement, but the originals were so damn bad
that they looked like skanky whores next to top models.

At least they now have "clean teeth" ;)

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I want everything original. Replacement labels are forbidden in my place

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I like Original labels but in some cases if the label is too damaged or unreadable it's nice to have a new label. I have never done it personally but have bought a few carts with replacement labels and it did not bother me.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
OGs always keep it real, son

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Original or nothing in my house. If the serials are scratched, then I'll pass on the cart. I'm a purist.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The only labels I've replaced are the shitty repro labels that coinopstore puts on his carts. I've left all my original labels, including one that is half missing, on for purity's sake.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
if it's a shitty label I'll replace, if it's nice I leave it. They're just MVS carts.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll replace it if the label is super fucked up.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I scratch all my serials and then make replacement labels. I don't look my games in the eyes when I rape them. I mean play them. Don't really care either way.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm trying to figure out how to put replacement labels on my roms.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I feel if a serial number is intact, the label should be left untouched. If its been tampered with, new color labels are preferred!

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
OG
If i cant read the label i just chuck a post it note on one side with the name of the game on it...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What about when there's no label on the cart at all? That's when I'd put on a replacement label. If you wanna get technical about it, a repro label is the same as no label, neither are the original.

Take me for instance, I have a loose copy of Garou MOTW for AES, with snap case. Or, I have a CIB with repro insert, manual and label. Neither are fully CIB original.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Heh I prefer to save money by buying carts with fucked up labels or no labels and just put nice replacement labels on them. Saved a ton of money doing that and that is really what collecting MVS is all about.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have mostly intact labels, but honestly I'm not picky about them. I plan on replacing a few really fucked up labels, like the serial is unreadable and the color is reminiscent of old oatmeal. As long as the game works, I'm happy with it.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
whats the deal with arcade operators writing the names of different games on the label, yet the pcb inside is the game of the original label.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I try to keep my labels original, and attempt to get nice labels. However, a few of my games are really beat up. I plan on getting replacement labels but haven't yet.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Original labels, even if they're scratched to hell or has gunk all over.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
OG Labels, I try to get good labels with intact serials where possible, but to be honest, the jacked up labels on some of my carts have a history and character all their own! Makes me want to Sherlock Holmes and somehow deduce the personal arcade history of the cart every time I see it.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I like to keep original labels when I can. Although I do come across a fair amount of titles that have unsightly labels. It almost breathes new life into the cart when replacing a heavily worn down label.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Wuuurrddd, I would keep it 100 unless the label is shot to shit. I prefer it show it's age and use, and if I'm buying I'd rather have a nasty OG label than someone's inkjet masterpiece. reference KennyBoy's creations.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Wuuurrddd, I would keep it 100 unless the label is shot to shit. I prefer it show it's age and use, and if I'm buying I'd rather have a nasty OG label than someone's inkjet masterpiece. reference KennyBoy's creations.

Hey man, my replacement labels are the bee's knees.