Reprinted labels vs Keeping it O.G

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Did I mention when I cut out my own print labels by hand they looked a bit rough.
So yeah my skills cutting out shapes is not that great. Or maybe I just being my own worst critic.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Did I mention when I cut out my own print labels by hand they looked a bit rough.
So yeah my skills cutting out shapes is not that great. Or maybe I just being my own worst critic.

I feel the same way about mine when I cut them, but the next day I always think they look a lot better. Could always use a paper cutter to get nice clean lines.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Paper cutter and a corner rounding punch are of great help if you are trying to use big generic sticker sheets to make custom MVS labels.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Paper cutter and a corner rounding punch are of great help if you are trying to use big generic sticker sheets to make custom MVS labels.

I was using a big 8 x 11" sheets of self adhesive labels and printing to size on Photoshop.

U can even print the labels on old yellowed paper (from the 90s!!), then fix them with 3M 77 or 3M PhotoMount spray adhesive.
I've used wide transparent tape on top of the printed paper for a gloss protective finish, then cut the whole thing with x-acto. Looks great!.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Grizz9567 's Colorful Labels look nice , I could see me using them together with the Southtown MVS Inserts.Or even just the plain carts on a shelf.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Pro-tip: Use a paper slicer for straight edges.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'll take a severely damaged original label over a replacement every time.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Related question for you guys, I bought a Sengoku that apparently still has the seal on the side of the cart intact. How do you go about cleaning these since you cant open them? Do you just slice through the seal or do you try to clean with the cartridge intact?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It would take a seriously damaged label for me to consider replacing it. Sometimes I think the old battle wounds of the cart's arcade days are pretty cool...other days it makes me turn my head away in disgust, but its still better than a repro.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Related question for you guys, I bought a Sengoku that apparently still has the seal on the side of the cart intact. How do you go about cleaning these since you cant open them? Do you just slice through the seal or do you try to clean with the cartridge intact?
Cleaning the contacts shouldn't be a problem without opening it... Deoxit D5 and cotton swabs.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Cleaning the contacts shouldn't be a problem without opening it... Deoxit D5 and cotton swabs.

I have deoxit 100, but sometimes I still need the good old eraser, hopefully that cart will be clean enough.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

If isopropyl/contact cleaner and q-tips don't get the job done, slice dat seal and give it another go. Sometimes the corrosion is not accessible without removing the boards.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Definitely better a beaten up label than a replacement one. I mostly apply new labels when I bought carts that had cheaper looking replacement label. The Metal Slug I bought had a cheap one, but as I peeled it off, I noticed a pristine (apart from scratched SN) label. Don't know why the previous owner minded the scratched serial so much that he would apply a shitty label over it.

I usually wait until I have a few to get printed, then assemble them all on a 8.5x11 photoshop image that I get professionally printed. Then I use an x-acto knife with a ruler, and separate each label. Then very carefully, I do a round cut on each corners with scissors.

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
OG or nothing. I'm super picky about label condition on all games, not just MVS. If it has any damage to the label, I won't buy it.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
If isopropyl/contact cleaner and q-tips don't get the job done, slice dat seal and give it another go. Sometimes the corrosion is not accessible without removing the boards.

I had to in the past with some carts (not just neo geo carts) open the cart up, get my soldering iron and make some repairs.
Dead batteries are common in old NES carts that support game saves.

I had broken solder points in one of my MVS carts

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
All MVS carts are gamer's carts. If you're into nice labels you're in the wrong field and you're just driving up the prices of my want list! :very_ang: lol

That being said, I always enjoy ripping off a fake label to find an original if tattered one underneath. Battle scars give character. http://www.neocartman.com/ is awesome and I wish I had found that site back when I had carts with serials.

Last edited:

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
I plan on replacing a few. Some are just destroyed. Others with JP writing I'd prefer a US label. Scratched serials don't bother me.

To me the value is in having legit boards and game itself. The label is only paper. Might as well make it look nice after years of abuse.