Record collecting

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Turbo Kid ST is up on Mondo but their checkout has been acting weird.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Just in case you missed it:

Dubmood has preorders open for his new record on vinyl (+extended edition cassette tape) and a Lost Floppies Vol. 2 vinyl pressing.

The available tracks of "Force De Frappe" are real cool, I immediately caught the 80s vibe and saw that "Richard" from the Hotline Miami 2 OST (which unfortunately did not make it on the vinyl release of that OST) is included. Did a little google searching and found out Dubmood wanted to expand on "Richard" and create his own (fictional) 80s OST (like some many "synthwavers" do?). He already had some unreleased demo tracks made for the Hotline Miami guys which he could work with - read further here.

Lost Floppies Vol. 2 has more of his classic chiptunes, some are reedited and extended. Good stuff on there, too.

Both were instabuys for me. You can also (thankfully) add insurance and tracking now.

In other Data Airlines news:
All 7 chipzel releases are available in digital format at a discount. And there are still some seven inches of "Only Human" available...

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Good call, I forgot to post the Dubmood news. Shame the Chipzel isn't for physical releases. There's a pre-order for a Super Hexagon record that was supposed to come out last month. Anybody know what the deal is? I'd love to have that.

xsq

I preordered it through iam8bit and received it last week... shipped out November 25 (got it in delicious red).

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Hm, still listed as pre-order status on the site so I was confused. Thanks for the heads up.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Grabbed the Five Years Bowie box set on Cyber Monday from Bullmoose for ~$180 shipped.
Sat and listened to the whole thing today. It was awesome :D
Spoiler:
hOnUyPl.jpg

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
My recent scores:

Faith No More The Real Thing 2 LP reissue:

CKY Volume 1 Urban Outfitters reissue on red and black swirl vinyl:

Transformers The Movie Record Store Day exclusive 2 LP set on Autobot red and Decepticon purple vinyl with "transformable" jacket:

Autobot LP:

Decepticon LP:

xsq

that Transformers OST is the shit... it's still pretty cheap on discogs... oh, the temptation...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I need a new turntable. My Dual 1218 is starting to bite it and I know I can get it repaired, but I'd like to just have something new. I'm still going to keep the Dual as a backup, perhaps service it if I get time.

I'm not a fan of belt driven tables, I know that's the preferred method by "audiophiles" but I'm a firm believer in the accurate speed of direct drive turntables. The Idler wheel has been great on the Dual, no weird pitch, speed, or sound changes.

I have my sights on a few tables:

Direct Drive (in order of pref):

Pioneer PLX 1000 (700 bucks, ignore the price gouging):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O8U3ZI2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Audio Technica LP1240 (400 USD, price gouging on Amazon again):

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-TECHNIC...8055&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=audio+technic+1240

Belt drives (in order of pref):

Teac TN 300:

http://www.amazon.com/TN-300-Analog...p/B00P9WK1BW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Rega RP1:

http://www.amazon.com/REGA-RP1-Tita...=UTF8&qid=1450367931&sr=1-3&keywords=rega+rp1

Pro-Ject Carbon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIMXATU/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i1

Anyone have any recommendations? Not looking for vintage.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
In terms of belt driven tables the RP1 and Pro-ject Carbon seem to be the go to for solid tables. I never really looked into that Teac TN 300, but it looks rather nice. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Not sure what you would like to spend, but the RP3 and RP6 from Rega are rather nice as well. I would consider crossing the RP1 off the list and going with RP3. This is of course dependent on your budget.

The Music Hall MMF 2.2 would be something else to add to your belt drive list as it seems to be of the same nature.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
whoa, forgot about the music hall. I should look into that.

The RP3 is unfortunately out of my budget. That 700 dollar Pioneer is stretching it as it is.

I used to have an automatic belt driven thorens and the belt stretched over time and it just bothers me to no end. I'm sure it takes a long time for them to stretch, but I still feel a direct drive is more accurate. I'm willing to give it another shot. I've played around with the Rega and Pro-Ject first hand.

I was a little turned off by the construction of the Pro-Ject Carbon. Now I know everyone's panties gets wet over the tonearm, but I'm not a fan of their belt mechanism and platter. Both seem cheapish. The Rega sounded nice, but I didn't get an up close look to it.

Look, if I have to spend upwards of 1000 for an RP3 for quality, I will. I think my main concerns are:

durability

speed accuracy

A return function would be nice, but those are either super cheap models or on overpriced new thorens tables.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
You could get a VPI Traveler for $1000 or less.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If you can find one the Technics 1300 has direct drive and auto return in that price range. It's also a fucking tank.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If you can find one the Technics 1300 has direct drive and auto return in that price range. It's also a fucking tank.

I used to have a 1200. It was beat to shit but sounded great. I was too concerned with aesthetics. But if I were going vintage my money would be on the denon dp62. Beautiful table but hard to find in mint condition at a reasonable price.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it is 80% cartridge/ 20% Table.

Unless vibrations are a concern.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it is 80% cartridge/ 20% Table.

I wouldn't assign those percentages. Accurate speed, a well dampened tone arm, good traction all matter just as much as the cartridge.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
New local record shop means new scores:
Jet Set Vapour Trails (local band) Cellophane Vampire on translucent green and black swirl viny

S.O.D. Speak English or Die on green and red swirl vinyl

Stray Cats Built for Speed

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,

The table is the foundation everything is built on.

50% should be spent on the table and the other half split between the tonearm and cartridge. The turntable is the foundation and needs to be a solid one.

I wouldn't assign those percentages. Accurate speed, a well dampened tone arm, good traction all matter just as much as the cartridge.

No table is dead on perfect. If it doesn't exceed the cost of whatever TT you're shopping...buy a Phoenix RoadRunner and power supply unit (~$600 total) and be done...end of story and worry over speed variances.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The table is the foundation everything is built on.

50% should be spent on the table and the other half split between the tonearm and cartridge. The turntable is the foundation and needs to be a solid one.

No table is dead on perfect. If it doesn't exceed the cost of whatever TT you're shopping...buy a Phoenix RoadRunner and power supply unit (~$600 total) and be done...end of story and worry over speed variances.

I caught a good deal on the pioneer plx 1000 (20% lower than the price listed on the website)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/pioneer-plx-1000-professional-turntable

I can also get the project carbon for way under retail .. But I wanted a direct drive. If anyone else wants a good deal on either table let me know. I'll be pulling the trigger in a couple of days. I'm in Michigan for the holidays I don't want that shit to sit on my doorstep. Going to try and time it to when I go back.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I caught a good deal on the pioneer plx 1000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/pioneer-plx-1000-professional-turntable

I can also get the project carbon for way under retail .. But I wanted a direct drive. If anyone else wants a good deal on either table let me know. I'll be pulling the trigger in a couple of days. I'm in Michigan for the holidays I don't want that shit to sit on my doorstep. Going to try and time it to when I go back.

For that price just buy a used Technics 1210.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I caught a good deal on the pioneer plx 1000 (20% lower than the price listed on the website)

How under retail on that carbon? I'm slightly in the market for a different table, depending on price.