Questions for overweight people

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I think I had a high metabolism til the end of my 20s. I'm 32 now and I have a gut. Although, I've been an alcoholic for about 10 years. I think I have a gut for that reason, and I don't exercise in a gym. My only exercise comes from walking, which is when I commute to and from the MRT (subway) stations. I guess that's better than nothing. I don't see a problem with being fat. We are all gonna die anyways. It's the diabetes you gotta be concerned with. I really have no idea what I'm talking about. If I was still in the USA I'd be much bigger. I eat relatively healthy here. That sounds weird now that I think about it, but it is true. I really miss Five Guys, Wendy's, Chipotle, Taco Bell. When you go to these places please think of people outside the US that don't have these wonderful establishments. I eat a shitload of pork here though. In Asia, pork is king.

edit: One more thing, I miss American "Chinese Food." Authentic Chinese food, is not what you get in America. General Tso is tougher to find here than in the states. Wonton + Noodles here is my mother fucking jam.:glee:

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I might do aerobics for the gut and Yoga for keeping my mind in shape on Wii Fit U, now that I think about it. I'm been practicing mindfullness/Cognative therapy, and it's helped me a lot to control panic attacks/ depression. I've been trying to eat more healthy food like humus and fruit too.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Catching up on these replies and I'm seeing lots of similarities here - I quit smoking when I was 30 too, that had an immediate impact (though I don't regret it).

I'm thinking I'm going to make a couple of changes first off and watch for any result. Firstly I'm switching back from cider to a wwweaker lager as the tipple of choice. Next up I'm going to walk to the shop to buy it rather than driving. Lastly evening snacks - instead of the usual shit I'm going to keep a handful of hard boiled eggs always to hand. I do really like eggs and they're better for you than crisps and salami, plus they're much more filling for the calories so I'll eat a lot less there.

Quick punch on the calculator and amazingly those few things alone will shave about 3000-4000 calories a week off. I don't think it's enough to turn things around but it should stop the rot for now.

P.s. Greg - be careful of humus dude, it's not the health food you think it is.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Catching up on these replies and I'm seeing lots of similarities here - I quit smoking when I was 30 too, that had an immediate impact (though I don't regret it).

I'm thinking I'm going to make a couple of changes first off and watch for any result. Firstly I'm switching back from cider to a wwweaker lager as the tipple of choice. Next up I'm going to walk to the shop to buy it rather than driving. Lastly evening snacks - instead of the usual shit I'm going to keep a handful of hard boiled eggs always to hand. I do really like eggs and they're better for you than crisps and salami, plus they're much more filling for the calories so I'll eat a lot less there.

Quick punch on the calculator and amazingly those few things alone will shave about 3000-4000 calories a week off. I don't think it's enough to turn things around but it should stop the rot for now.

P.s. Greg - be careful of humus dude, it's not the health food you think it is.

Soft cunt.

Get fat like the rest of us.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The fact that you even care what other people think shows that you have succumbed to the shame of life.

Greg, you need a thread where people write in scenarios and you give therapeutic advice - like a war room Frasier Crane.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
More Cushion... for teh pushin...

EMBRACE teh middle age!

xROTx

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Protein is the food with the fewest calories per gram, and makes you feel full longer.
If you must snack, try to eat a low-fat protein, like peppered jerky, almonds, and skim cheeses.

Protein also makes you thirsty, so you'll drink more water and eat less often.

Alcohol is a killer. It has as many calories per gram as sugar. The only thing worse you could eat would be pure fat.

I'm a pretty big guy, and the best success I had while losing weight was on a high protein, low carb diet. I lost like 50 pounds in 4-5 months.
But yeah, don't let it get out of hand. The longer you are out of shape, and the more out of shape you are, the harder it is to muster up the willpower to correct it.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I quit smoking and immediately gained 15 lbs. after 3 years it has gone another 15. I don't put on weight in the front however. It's going to my back.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I quit smoking and immediately gained 15 lbs. after 3 years it has gone another 15. I don't put on weight in the front however. It's going to my back.

DAT AZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

But seriously, the OP needs to get rid of sugar - shit will kill you. Drinking cider is not the right direction.

Keep it under 30 g/day - the less the better.

Stay the fuck away from soft drinks, fruit juice, and anything sugary that isn't actual fruit, with actual fiber in it.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Well, unfortunately the old saying eat less and move more is really the only thing that helps. I can say this as I was a fat fuck for a good portion of my life, especially those fun years in elementary/middle and some of high school. I managed to sprang my ankle and tear/injure my deltoid within a span of two weeks back in middle school. Mom took me to an orthopedic doctor, while in his office he told me to remove my shirt to take a look at my shoulder and based on my physique he basically said that I needed to lose weight and get in shape ( I forget how he said it but it was a polite way of saying "I can see your problem, you're too fucking fat"). So I started working out doing cardio and weight lifting which is great when you're a teenager and have copious amounts of testosterone to build muscle. I never got big and bulky but started getting definition. Anyway my weight has gone up and down still and battled it into my early to mid 20's when I was in college and midway through the program I weighed in at about 260 (when I stopped exercising and eating bad for awhile) and I just one day said i'm tired of looking/feeling like I did. I think I started in august but I changed my diet completely. I ate more salads and lean protein and stopped eating out during the week but made friday and saturday "splurge days" so I could eat what I wanted which made being on a diet easier. I also started going back to the gym 3 days a week sometimes going more just for cardio. Also I would go and party on friday's and saturdays and drink quite a bit which I did not drink any alcohol during the week. Anyway I started all this in august and by december I was down to about 210. I plateaued in weight for awhile but kept eating well and working out eventually I got down to 185 which is the lowest adult weight I have been in my adult life. Not bulky but lean and i'm about 6'1. It got to a point that when I would visit my mom she would ask me if I was eating or starving myself which was laughable because I was eating all the time, it was just that my metabolism was so ramped up my body was burning calories like crazy. Fast forward 10 years....married....mortgage......child I'm back up to 230. It was actually up to 240 but I started watching what I eat again and honestly I have no desire to exercise as I work 10 hour days and chase a child around the rest of the time...When I get free time (after the child goes to bed) I usually just watch some tv and look on the internet to relax. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Basically watch what you eat. Don't drink too many sodas. I drink only water and throw in an occasional soda. Get as much exercise as you can. Limit alcohol consumption it's empty calories and can leave you bloated. And eat lean proteins as everyone has said. Also checkout a documentary called fat head.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
do you smoke?

if you don't you could try replacing a meal or two with a few cigs?
eventually you can get sick enough from smoking too much that you'll end up puking so you'll have that going for you as well, sort of like bulemia? Black coffee and cigs is a good meal if you want to go for the puking effect just have that for breakast and lunch and do some strenuous exercise everyday and you should eventually get sick enough to puke once and awhile.
This is classic Karou. WTF recommends people start smoking so they can puke? Brilliant stuff here.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This is classic Karou. WTF recommends people start smoking so they can puke? Brilliant stuff here.

You need to get out more...

...This is me just sayin'...

xROTx

PS. Yes yes .... i know.. i'm usually in chat... but I have an excuse...

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
The fact that you even care what other people think shows that you have succumbed to the shame of life. Don't worry dude - I feel self-conscious about my fat gut too. I look at rare old photos of myself from HS and I was a bean pole compared to now. I've always had a high-metabolism until about age 35. I guess I'm kinda self-destructive, because I mainline Tampico/Soda and have quit walking/Wii Fit U. I think I'll start up on Wii Fit U again. I used to go walking with my Dad down the road/at the park but we've quit it.

This. Sage advice here. Don't succumb to the shame of life. I see all kinds of fat guys with good liking significant others. Just have confidence or be funny and the girls will come running to you.

Edit: I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. I'd like to be 200. Maybe I should lift weights.
wow

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
DAT AZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

But seriously, the OP needs to get rid of sugar - shit will kill you. Drinking cider is not the right direction.

Keep it under 30 g/day - the less the better.

Stay the fuck away from soft drinks, fruit juice, and anything sugary that isn't actual fruit, with actual fiber in it.

It is kind of nice that my ass is holding up my pants without a belt for the first time in my life.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was in the 160's (6' tall and 20 at the time) when I was married in 1998. By 2008, I was 275+. Years of shit food and a nearly 100% inactive lifestyle caught up with me. I really ballooned when I began working on the road around 2006…eating out breakfast/lunch/dinner really made me fat, quick. Like many here, I quit smoking in 2000…that didn't help either.

Either way, as many here know, I turned it around starting back in 2011 or so…back down in the 170's now. I don't eat all that great…but I work out enough to maintain my weight.

One word of advice…don't let it get too far…at my heaviest, I was a train wreck. Emotional problems, high blood pressure, never ending aches and pains…it was fucking horrible.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've been trying to eat more fruit and veggies, and it's getting easier to do so. I just can't cut out the pop though. I don't have any other vices besides games really.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I've been trying to eat more fruit and veggies, and it's getting easier to do so. I just can't cut out the pop though. I don't have any other vices besides games really.

You might wanna find a zero-calorie flavoring you like in water (like crystal light or something) and buy a hand-held carbonation tool like the Fizz-Gizz.
That worked out pretty well for me until I moved and work stress got me drinking alcohol again.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
You might wanna find a zero-calorie flavoring you like in water (like crystal light or something) and buy a hand-held carbonation tool like the Fizz-Gizz.
That worked out pretty well for me until I moved and work stress got me drinking alcohol again.

I do stock Gatoraide in my fridge, and I have Tampico punch, but that's just as bad as pop.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
You should try out those Lipton Diet GreenTea Fruit berry...Taste awesome & no calories.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Treadmill & what Galfordo stated. Too much processed sugar=diabetes.BEWARE of High Fructose Corn Syrup especially as that sh8t will make your weight jump QUICK. It is a chemical and your body doesn't know how to process that sh8t so it just stays with you for quite sometime.
BB

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Just to expound a little on the whole sugar thing ... it's not that sugar's evil or anything, it's just that we did not evolve to take down 50 grams in a single 12 oz serving of liquid. When you drink one of these disease bombs, the sugar goes straight to your blood stream - there's nothing to slow it down. Your liver shits a brick, goes into full blown panic mode, and has no other choice than to convert it into fat in order to try and get things back to normal. This rapid dumping of sugar into the blood stream also of course spikes your insulin levels, bringing you one step closer to type 2 diabetes. So just think long and hard about what you're doing to yourself the next time you chug a 20 oz. of pure sugar. And fruit juice isn't any healthier - just eat the actual fucking fruit brah.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
my weight has been up and down my whole life. My high point was 248. I'm 35 now, an ex smoker as of 5 years ago, smoked for 16. I have lost excess of over 80 pounds twice now. Both times I lost weight I was an ex smoker, once before my big quit, and a few years ago after my big quit. I have gained weight both times after quitting.

I know it's hard with kids, but you should highly consider running, or some type of aerobic exercise, mixed with some slight resistance training. By running I mean get good shoes at a running store, like brooks, or another real running show brand. Not NIKE or Puma or New Balance, etc...

I highly recommend this little device. Not only is it fun, it provides aerobic exercise, and some resistance training.

http://www.amazon.com/Weider-WEBE15...42230&sr=8-1&keywords=weider+total+body+works

by exercise, I mean real exercise, not walking, at least not after a few weeks of it. You need your heart rate up, sweating, and to be pushing yourself. Bottom line is if you run and do slight resistance training, unless you eat like a total slob you will lose weight. Check out apps on your phone. COUCH_2_5K comes to mind, as well as a nutrition app for counting calories. Most good apps let you scan bar codes, and add real whole foods with little effort. ex: 1 banana = 70 calories. 1 egg mcmuffin = heart attack. It's a real eye opener when you think you are eating healthy, and realize you already consumed 1500 calories before breakfast.

I also highly recommend if you plan on getting in shape, which sounds like you may not want to exercise, to check out the Fit Bit. They do pretty much everything. It's basically a watch with GPS to track runs and such. I was lucky enough to be given a discount for one at my work because we have a program if we walk so many steps in a year, per day, we get a $500.00 bonus. I seriously love my Fit Bit.

Of course you don't need any of this crap, except some nice shoes if you do plan to exercise. There are always push ups, and other crossfit style exercises.

I would have to say I slightly disagree with solely counting calories, especially at our age. Now I'm not against it at all, it's a good practice. However, at our age other things need to be taken into account, for example cholesterol intake is incredibly important, as is fructose intake (the number one cause of cancer). Another reason is, a diet that restricts calories in order to lose weight is bad for many reasons. Here are a few...

1. Lowing you caloric intake can mess with your sugar levels, and get you into more trouble, and not to mention less energy to take care of those kids.

2. Restricting calories to lose weight = you will lose muscle mass. This is also bad of course. The first thing you shred in a low calorie diet is muscle. Muscle even though it has more mass, helps you lose weight because you burn more calories at rest.

Here i go again, getting into a long-winded post, but I do have a few more things to say.

What this all comes down to is sure you can lose weight solely dieting. Maybe you drink soda everyday, and that got you here, but no matter how you look at it, you will live a longer, healthier, happier life if you eat healthy and exercise a few times a week. You will probably also sleep better.

What eating habits really come down to is anthropology. There are many studies of our ancient ancestors that prove even though they died earlier, they were much healthier. For example, ebfore farming was invented, people had near perfect teeth (because lack of starch and sugar), were taller, and had more muscle.

Here's another word I hate "Paleo Diet". This is a diet people take to an extreme, but also meld to suit their needs. For example some paleo dieters think french fries are good.

I do very much agree though with a diet similar to our ancestors. Basically anything in a package these days is shit for your body. Pretty much anything invented after farming is also bad, for example milk, other dairy products, wheat products, etc... I really don't see how people can argue this, but I am sure someone will chime in. But basically, if we survived for thousands of years on nothing but fruits, vegetables, nuts, water, and the occasional game kill, how can that be bad for us? That is what our body was designed to intake for fuel, and over the course of the last thousand years we have not evolved enough to become accustomed to things like milk, bread, and mountain dew.

Here's my suggestion, try and eat real organic fruits, vegetables, nuts etc.. and mainly fish, and occasional meat like chicken or pork. Although amazing, meat is not suppose to be a staple of every meal. I like to try and go all day, or even a few days on nothing but fruits, vegetables, and nuts, and then eating a small meal with protein. You will go through a sort of withdraw at first, but it's really just your body healing and learning to do things again like regulate your sugar on it's own, and create carbs. You do have to eat a lot though. And I mean a lot. It's really easy when switching to not get enough nutrients until you learn what you are eating.

do some research on super foods. Avacados, brocholli, figs, etc.. Find real food that you love. My go to is avacados, and the occasional hard boiled egg for breakfast. Love those foods, find more, and create a nice portfolio of go-to foods that are healthy. I also like loose leaf tea, I get all mine from Numi tea online. It's one of 3 certified organic teas sold in the world, with scientific research to back it up.I brew it hot, and drink it hot, or ice it. I alsmost always add real, local honey, it makes it amazing. The honey with the large chunk of honeycomb in it is key.

I would also highly recommend staying away from charred, and burned foods. Burned carbon is another cause of cancer.

Now I know all this sounds horrible, but I bet if you change your diet, exercise, and follow this for a few months, you will never go back. Once you go to a real diet and you try and go back and do something like eat pizza, or drink milk, it totally fucks up your insides. You will realize how unhealthy you have been your whole life.

If you find a good grocery store, or local farmers market, you will be set. You can do this cheap. I really think you should give it a shot.

FYI Gandhi was a fruitatarian, and we all know he lived a very long time.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just to expound a little on the whole sugar thing ... it's not that sugar's evil or anything, it's just that we did not evolve to take down 50 grams in a single 12 oz serving of liquid. When you drink one of these disease bombs, the sugar goes straight to your blood stream - there's nothing to slow it down. Your liver shits a brick, goes into full blown panic mode, and has no other choice than to convert it into fat in order to try and get things back to normal. This rapid dumping of sugar into the blood stream also of course spikes your insulin levels, bringing you one step closer to type 2 diabetes. So just think long and hard about what you're doing to yourself the next time you chug a 20 oz. of pure sugar. And fruit juice isn't any healthier - just eat the actual fucking fruit brah.

yep, it was impossible for our ancestors to consume as much sugar as in a 20oz of mountain dew. They would have had to eat 6ft of sugar cane. The same goes for fruits, they are not meant to be juiced, the amount of sugar is meant to be digested over time in your stomach.

The shitty part about our current diets is that they have been created by scientists that took note of things like sugar in fruit, protein in meat, and salt in fish, and made foods with super amounts of these things in them to appeal to our native brain triggers.

I see a lot of people in the hospital die on a monthly basis, and the people who grew up before the boom of processed foods, who still eat healthy, are out living the average american because of their diets, and of course modern medicine. But modern medicine is not helping the people dying at 50 who ate poorly their whole life, at least not much.