Pulstar is better than Blazing Star

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
It's like comparing Pepsi to a Coke.

Having said that, (I prefer Pepsi, BTW), I like Blazing Star better, as I am more of a button masher/mindless of a guy now adays. And I always play Godly mode, so I get plenty of challenge. I will give that Pulstar is athestically pleasing, & has that ambience feel & harder gameplay. But I prefer Blazing Star. I play Pulstar, just not as much as Blazing Star--mindless fun.

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
I got Blazing Star today and this was my first time playing it. On the first level I scored a "perfect". Was pretty easy, I need to up the dif.

I got my ass handed to me the first time I played Pulstar. I like a challange. I also think the boses are better animated and are cooler than Blazing Star's boses.

Both are good though.

You know, I also give Pulstar some high props for its presentation, graphics, and its technical prowess. No shooter is harder than Pulstar amongst the ones i've played, Viewpoint coming in at 2nd place for difficulty and even that game can be modified for on-the-fly continues as long as its played in Japanese mode.

Pulstar's bosses are incredible, and each time I kill one off and make it to the next level I feel a dose of relief and satisfaction. While I don't give its music the highest marks, everything else is just schweet. Final boss... OMG its just sick dude.

Blazing Star... is very different. Its a pick up and play shooter/quarter muncher. I can cruise through the game up to the final levels and suddenly just loose it at the large ship stage and the final boss and die constantly.

Pulstar requires discipline and constant attention of the player, and for me the fun comes from its difficulty and presentation.

All in all, I still prefer Blazing Star overall, for its more fun audio, pick up n play gameplay, and how it isn't uber hard.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Harry_Hearttrob said:
I got Blazing Star today and this was my first time playing it. On the first level I scored a "perfect". Was pretty easy, I need to up the dif.

I got my ass handed to me the first time I played Pulstar. I like a challange. I also think the boses are better animated and are cooler than Blazing Star's boses.

Both are good though.

Well of course the first stage of Blazing Star is easy...

Let us know when you reach the 6th stage of Blazing Star.

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
BBH said:

btw, how many stages are there in BS? I played up till the 3rd level and then turned it off....I hate when I beat a game the same day I recieve it :rolleyes:

Also, with Pulstar, after I beat a boss I feel like I have really accomplished something and feel proud of myself.

Beating a boss on Blazing Star is like, ok I beat it now what....

Pulstar keeps me on my heels too....if I take my eyes off the screen for one sec. , i'm toast.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
BBH said:

"Are you Human?"

The big diference between both is that Pulstar is much more a R-Type than anything else.

That said, it means you cannot die or else you get your ship completely un-armed and will restart from a backpoint of the stage. This is where the dificulty of both games are, and are diferent.

Pulstar & Blazing Star = Shooting wonder games.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Blazing Star > Last Resort > Pulstar

I may have even put Andro Dunos after Last Resort... than Pulstar, but I didn't want to offend too many people... and this representation is accurate as such. Pulstar, oh Pulstar, I gave you about 9 chances, hoping one day it would click and I would get what all this hype is around the game. Sorry, I played it when it was called R-Type, and it was better back then too.

-Nick

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Harry_Hearttrob said:
btw, how many stages are there in BS? I played up till the 3rd level and then turned it off....I hate when I beat a game the same day I recieve it :rolleyes:

Also, with Pulstar, after I beat a boss I feel like I have really accomplished something and feel proud of myself.

Beating a boss on Blazing Star is like, ok I beat it now what....

Pulstar keeps me on my heels too....if I take my eyes off the screen for one sec. , i'm toast.

There are 7 stages in Blazing Star, although the last stage is nothing more than the last boss.

I agree that clearing a stage is much more of an accomplishment in Pulstar. When it comes down to it though, Pulstar and Blazing Star are two completely different games. Pulstar forces you to memorize every level in and out, and then play perfectly because if you die you're pretty much screwed. You've gotta be perfect or else, either you like it or you don't. Blazing Star is a much more "relaxing" game and there's more incentive to play for score instead of finishing it, I think.

When it comes down to it though, I think the last two levels of Blazing Star become way more difficult than Pulstar. Because when you think about it, yes Pulstar is insane but they have to at least make it somewhat manageable to do without dying, since you get pushed back in the level after dying and all that. With Blazing Star they can just throw as many bullets as they want at you, there's no need to make a "fair" challenge since your next life picks up where you left off, and your ship only needs one power-up to get back up to full power. So a lot of people will just continue their way through the game instead of making actual "progress" like in Pulstar.

I thoroughly enjoy both games, but for very different reasons.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
You should ask him the amount of credits he used...
I love it when someones says, "OMG!!111 I beat that sh00ter in like 30 mins"
with 30 credits? :lol:

BBH said:
There are 7 stages in Blazing Star, although the last stage is nothing more than the last boss.

I agree that clearing a stage is much more of an accomplishment in Pulstar. When it comes down to it though, Pulstar and Blazing Star are two completely different games. Pulstar forces you to memorize every level in and out, and then play perfectly because if you die you're pretty much screwed. You've gotta be perfect or else, either you like it or you don't. Blazing Star is a much more "relaxing" game and there's more incentive to play for score instead of finishing it, I think.

When it comes down to it though, I think the last two levels of Blazing Star become way more difficult than Pulstar. Because when you think about it, yes Pulstar is insane but they have to at least make it somewhat manageable to do without dying, since you get pushed back in the level after dying and all that. With Blazing Star they can just throw as many bullets as they want at you, there's no need to make a "fair" challenge since your next life picks up where you left off, and your ship only needs one power-up to get back up to full power. So a lot of people will just continue their way through the game instead of making actual "progress" like in Pulstar.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Harry_Hearttrob said:

Please get back to us when you can 1 credit Blazing Star. Shouldn't take too long since you find it so easy :eek_2:

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
BBH said:

heh..
with this post you basically closed the thread
I agree completely, at least about Pulstar. I've played BS just couple of times(since I dont use romZ.....really) so I dont wanna talk about it

Pulstar is the most frustrating game first couple of times you play it, but its mechanics are simple, you just need patience and practice so once you got memorized it you can able even to complete it with 1 credit (not me, my record is with 3 credits)

Last edited:

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
twalden said:
Please get back to us when you can 1 credit Blazing Star. Shouldn't take too long since you find it so easy :eek_2:

I only used 1 credit up to the end of level 3 then I turned it off. :glee:

SNKJorge

Harry_Hearttrob said:
I only used 1 credit up to the end of level 3 then I turned it off. :glee:

What is your score like?

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
You know I wasn't even paying attention. I was just giving it a quick go because I was trying my other mvs games that I recieved today. Strikers, SS4, and Blazing Star were among that games I got.

I honestly coundn't stop playing Strikers 1945 plus....what a great game.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Harry_Hearttrob said:
I honestly coundn't stop playing Strikers 1945 plus....what a great game.

That I'd have to agree 100% with... People will argue it is not as good as Strikers 1945 2, but you know what... who the fuck cares. Plus is a fantastic game, rehash or not, and a great neo shooter.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Blazing Star eases you into the game with the first 3 stages but the ones after that do get quite hard. Especially the giant ship boss and of course the last boss.

Keep hitting continue. :oh_no:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
BBH said:
Because when you think about it, yes Pulstar is insane but they have to at least make it somewhat manageable to do without dying, since you get pushed back in the level after dying and all that. With Blazing Star they can just throw as many bullets as they want at you, there's no need to make a "fair" challenge since your next life picks up where you left off, and your ship only needs one power-up to get back up to full power. So a lot of people will just continue their way through the game instead of making actual "progress" like in Pulstar.

Very good point, BBH.

I've been playing lots of Pulstar lately. Since a friend of mine has bought Blazing Star on MVS, I had the chance to play it a lil' more in-depth, that's why I'm also surprised about the rating as an easy game in here. I must say that I too get a bigger kick out of completing one of the later levels in PS (4 and up) than those of BS, but just like you, I play BS for a "different kind of fun", just like I play Ikaruga or Psyvariar 2 for score and DoDonPachi for sheer blasting goodness, tho I like doing the occasional bigger hit chain from time to time.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
spacebaby.jpg

...and I heard the spacebaby also bites the asses of those with too large sigs.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Takumaji said:
spacebaby.jpg

...and I heard the spacebaby also bites the asses of those with too large sigs.
I heard that a while back too. Turns out it isn't the spacebaby that bites the asses of those with large sigs - it's Nesgawa.

neogodzilla

New Challenger
I apolagize for being way off topic. But i was wondering who the girl is in the video segment on Master Terry Bogards post.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I do like Pulstar over Blazing as well. But they are both awesome.

SNKJorge

neogodzilla said:
I apolagize for being way off topic. But i was wondering who the girl is in the video segment on Master Terry Bogards post.

There's something call 'Private Messaging' good luck in finding the feature!!111 :rolleyes:

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Pulstar is wonderful, but Blazing star is more of a complete game to me. To this day I'm still not sure which ship is the best one to use, I keep changing my strategy, talking about balance..

Besides that, I LOVE the topscore system and I love the music + sound fx as well.

Overall a great game that never gets boring. But.. it takes a LOT of time to beat the game on 4 credits, which is one of the reasons why AES rocks so hard.

Games like this are no fun when you press continue for 30+ times.