PSVR thoughts. Anyone have experience with VR?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
whaaa?!!! [runs to google]

none of this makes sense to me...tell me what this is, please

PC only. dll injector.
It makes regular games work with VR headsets. THe community has been pretty awesome at making some great default settings for the games. It takes a fair amount of tweaking to get games to work without the community.

It's not as simple as just making the correct resolution settings. There's lots of little things that need to be done as well.
-UI at the bottom of the screen is not easily seen in VR. Need HUD's closer to center vision.
-FPS, hands and guns are often not to scale when you are in VR. You end up feeling like you have midget/Giant hands.
-Head position. This is important for both 3rd person and first person games.

It's worth the price tag. Walking through the massive towns in Guild Wars 2 was mesmerizing.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
PC only. dll injector.
It makes regular games work with VR headsets. THe community has been pretty awesome at making some great default settings for the games. It takes a fair amount of tweaking to get games to work without the community.

It's not as simple as just making the correct resolution settings. There's lots of little things that need to be done as well.
-UI at the bottom of the screen is not easily seen in VR. Need HUD's closer to center vision.
-FPS, hands and guns are often not to scale when you are in VR. You end up feeling like you have midget/Giant hands.
-Head position. This is important for both 3rd person and first person games.

It's worth the price tag. Walking through the massive towns in Guild Wars 2 was mesmerizing.

That's true pre update, as of this week it's simply as easy as choosing the direct profile provided by Ralf and starting the game. If you haven't tried it in the last couple days you should because I went from hours of tweaking to playing Skyrim with the default profile and it looks better than my tweaks and has better fps with 0 time spent messing with annoying settings.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
OK. I got a bit nuts. I now have 1k worth of stuff on ebay and have a whole 'nother round of stuff to put up. I'm getting IN on this VR gen no matter what. I'm going to start with a PS4 Pro and try to get Move controllers from the get go. Hopefully I'll be up and running in a month or two.

Quick Question for everyone who has one: Right now I am really looking for short amazing experiences (with a 3 year old running around no time for long engagements). How long can you usually last in one VR session? EVE: Valkerie and Drive Club VR are on my want list and I think they seem like good games to get at first.

Wish me luck! Going to try and head into the VR waters soon.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
How long can you usually last in one VR session?

It depends on the game. I can play games like Rush of Blood and Brook Haven experiment for hours but can only play Here they Lie and World War Toons for 30 mins before I get headaches.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
It depends on the game. I can play games like Rush of Blood and Brook Haven experiment for hours but can only play Here they Lie and World War Toons for 30 mins before I get headaches.

I tried DriveClub VR at the store and had no problem. EVE Valkerie made my stomach turn when I did a barrel roll. I hear that you get accustomed to it the more you play. I'll have to check out the two games you mentions: Here they Lie and World War Toons.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I pretty much made up my mind I want a PSVR too...but I don't want to pay more than retail. On,y games I want now are Until Dawn and Eve Valkyrie.

Anyone now if Gran Turismo will have VR support - I assume it will

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I tried PSVR at the mall and felt nauseous afterwards.

I'll check back again when we've got holodecks.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I tried PSVR at the mall and felt nauseous afterwards.

I'll check back again when we've got holodecks.
the oculus had the same effect

vive was very very enjoyable as there was 0 motion sickness

its a deal breaker

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
I own a Vive and my experience with it has b een very enjoyable, but I haven't gotten much use out of it over the past months because my apartment has gotten more cluttered. Plan on moving out to a 2bdrm soon so I can hopefully have a more 'dedicated' VR space I suppose.
I don't think I've ever really experienced any motion sickness out side of when a game glitches the fuck out or if one of my controllers die and suddenly lose a hand.

The thing with VR is it's really hard to sell someone on it until they actually experience it for themselves. You can talk up how cool and great it is but some people won't be convinced until they try it.
I can appreciate what sony is doing with the PSVR since it's an easy to reach consumer market and the cheapest VR solution right now outside of the phone stuff. Getting VR into people's hands is whats really important.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
the oculus had the same effect

vive was very very enjoyable as there was 0 motion sickness

its a deal breaker

I keep reading that you need to develop "VR legs" where basically the more you play the less sick you get. I guess it's kinda silly to expect people to deal with it, but I got really sick from Valkerie, but still wanted more.

Living through the 90's promise of VR and now FINALLY getting it ... it's unbelievable.

I was watching some videos of Star Trek Bridge crew, seems like a really cool use of the hardware. I'm definitely going to wait for reviews, but with Star Trek and RE7 on the horizon, it could be looking good.

GTVR for Sport is supposed to be a separate mode unfortunately. I am kind of expecting it just to be a track or two.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I keep reading that you need to develop "VR legs" where basically the more you play the less sick you get. I guess it's kinda silly to expect people to deal with it, but I got really sick from Valkerie, but still wanted more.

That's how it was for me with active 3d, at first I could only play games for half an hour maybe 45 minutes. After a few days I can play for 2-3 hours. I can watch movies all day long though. The game gear... at first it looks like a hot blurry mess but after half an hour or several days of playing on and off I can see the game.

I got's to get one for these 3d pc games alone.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i ended up getting one of those new Mixed Reality VR along with a VR ready PC...Took forever to do the windows update but got some VR gaming in...I got like VR hangover right now & was restless sleeping last night.

Anyway, graphics resolution are still shit...I got one of those Samsung Gear VR wheyn they were first released & these newer ones hasn't really improved at all. I thought making the jump from phone to PC would be a big difference.
s
Maybe its the games, last night i played RECROOM & i couldn't get The Lab to load up. I ended up ordering Asseta Corsa, didn't get to play it but tried the bench mark. I was getting really nauseas just on that, hopefully i can play it as i mostly wanted a VR racing type setup going.

Any other suggestion on games to check out. I was thinking of getting Superhot VR next.

Marek

Banned
Yeah I pretty much made up my mind I want a PSVR too...but I don't want to pay more than retail. On,y games I want now are Until Dawn and Eve Valkyrie.

You want rez too

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
So i ended up getting one of those new Mixed Reality VR along with a VR ready PC...Took forever to do the windows update but got some VR gaming in...I got like VR hangover right now & was restless sleeping last night.

Anyway, graphics resolution are still shit...I got one of those Samsung Gear VR wheyn they were first released & these newer ones hasn't really improved at all. I thought making the jump from phone to PC would be a big difference.
s
Maybe its the games, last night i played RECROOM & i couldn't get The Lab to load up. I ended up ordering Asseta Corsa, didn't get to play it but tried the bench mark. I was getting really nauseas just on that, hopefully i can play it as i mostly wanted a VR racing type setup going.

Any other suggestion on games to check out. I was thinking of getting Superhot VR next.

The PC headsets use displays from the phone industry. There just isn't any way to get more resolution until pixels literally get smaller.
What you do get from PC is better framerate, subpixel sampling, and more polygons for realistic visuals.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm still waiting for the killer game that makes this essential. Any ideas what/when that might be?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I'm still waiting for the killer game that makes this essential. Any ideas what/when that might be?

I waited for awhile & the deal was too good to pass up to finally experience PC VR...Its a huge letdown & its hardly a big upgrade to the phone VR. Save your money until the newer ones come out.

Is there any hentai VR games? Asking for a friend.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I waited for awhile & the deal was too good to pass up to finally experience PC VR...Its a huge letdown & its hardly a big upgrade to the phone VR. Save your money until the newer ones come out.

Is there any hentai VR games? Asking for a friend.

Gal Gun is the closest you'll get for now.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
You want rez too

Yeah, definitely.

Unfortunately I traded my PS4 to Amazon in anticipation of getting a Pro...but I kinda lost interest and never bought a Pro so now I am PS4-less.

Kind of a bummer since looks like they have some good PSVR deals this season, but I just don't feel compelled to jump back into the PS4 yet. Oh well maybe next year....

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I'm getting Skyrim VR for myself for Xmas. I'm beyond hyped for it. It will be my killer app.

#1 game for me so far has been Resident Evil 7.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm getting Skyrim VR for myself for Xmas. I'm beyond hyped for it. It will be my killer app.

#1 game for me so far has been Resident Evil 7.

I've been playing Skyrim in PSVR and am SO happy with it. It's the best and only way for me to play. I was pretty nervous about the game being good or not in PSVR, but they did a killer job with it! So so happy.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I've been playing Skyrim in PSVR and am SO happy with it. It's the best and only way for me to play. I was pretty nervous about the game being good or not in PSVR, but they did a killer job with it! So so happy.

That's awesome to hear! I was hesitant, but I will def grab now. Thanks!

HDRchampion

10 Year Member

Have you tried the other VRs like Vive, Oculous, & Mixed Reality VR head sets? How do they compare to the PS4?

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I don't have experience with other VR headsets, but I honestly enjoy the PSVR. Graphically, I am sure the Vive & Oculus are much better, but I don't have the desktop to run them, not really a whole lot of space to have a good stand-up set-up. (Really wish I did.)

I've enjoyed the games I've played so far. Did end up picking up Drive Club VR tonight at Walmart because they had it on clearance for $10. I like GT better (though the VR in that is limited), but for $10...why not?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Have you tried the other VRs like Vive, Oculous, & Mixed Reality VR head sets? How do they compare to the PS4?

PS4 headset is equivalent quality. It's the hardware driving it that is lacking, so the games have to be toned down. Move tracking has improved, but still not equivalent to Vive or Oculus.

I don't own a PSVR, but I have checked it out again recently. Any of our previous opinions of the headset still holds true.

Until there are 8K displays, we wont be getting sharper visuals in the headsets. Keep in mind, your hardware will need to be able to drive (2) 4k displays at once to utilize 8k headsets. So think about if your computer can drive a game twice, at 90fps, at 4k resolutiuon.

Last edited: