PS4 Pro?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I was thinking about upgrading for 4K Blu Ray, but they decided to leave it out. Strange decision if you ask me, especially as their big thing pre-launch was how they were going to support physical media, but Microsoft were moving away from it. Now it's the other way round.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Xbox had to step up their game to up those sales.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I was thinking about upgrading for 4K Blu Ray, but they decided to leave it out. Strange decision if you ask me, especially as their big thing pre-launch was how they were going to support physical media, but Microsoft were moving away from it. Now it's the other way round.

Not only that, but MS is doing great with their BC program, while Sony charges the customers again with the PS Now and PS2 releases.

I found a good 4K TV deal last month, so while having the Pro around the corner at that time, I decided to go with the upgrade and bought an XB1 S for 4K movies as well.

All in all, I thought the upgrade was nice, but given the limited releases on both ends (Pro compatible games + 4K movies) and how pricey they still are, I thought it was too early to go for it.

If you still don't have a PS4, go with the Pro, especially since most new games (most of which are exclusives) will support it:

- Uncharted 4
- Rise of the Tomb Raider *
- FFXIV *
- The Last Guardian
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Nioh

* will have framerate improvement on HD TV's.

If you also want to upgrade to 4K, now is a good time. The prices are dropping heavily. You can check this link to verify the input lag on the different models (PS: the rating is strictly for input lag. You can click on the TV model to view a complete rating of its image / sound quality):

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Xbox had to step up their game to up those sales.

And they have. I'm considering one as a cheap 4k Blu Ray player.

The weird thing is, I thought Sony owned Blu Ray? The line up of 4K Blu Rays released so far is mostly Sony films (Ghostbusters, etc.), yet they've decided this new format is already dead?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I purchased the PS4 for Battle Garegga...

:buttrock: Same here, though REZinfinite, Thumper, and a few others are a nice little bonus.

Supposedly they are getting way more pre-orders than they expected. Hopefully the next M2 collectors edition will have a physical release.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
And they have. I'm considering one as a cheap 4k Blu Ray player.

The weird thing is, I thought Sony owned Blu Ray? The line up of 4K Blu Rays released so far is mostly Sony films (Ghostbusters, etc.), yet they've decided this new format is already dead?

Yea, just makes No sense how Sony dropped the ball on 4k bluray. I think the Xbox will do well towards the end of this year, plus like K mentioned about backwards compatibilty, Xbox has it for a good amount of games and the ps4 doesn't.

:buttrock: Same here, though REZinfinite, Thumper, and a few others are a nice little bonus.

Supposedly they are getting way more pre-orders than they expected. Hopefully the next M2 collectors edition will have a physical release.

Thanks for reminding me about rezinfinite. I forgot about that one.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I'm not so bothered with Sony omitting blu ray playback. I haven't bought a movie on physical media for five years. I even tossed my old 1080p blu rays and I'm not looking back.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not so bothered with Sony omitting blu ray playback. I haven't bought a movie on physical media for five years. I even tossed my old 1080p blu rays and I'm not looking back.

I don't care much for them either. I only own a few and I'm still streaming standard movies online but this is a huge deal for people who own 4k tvs and want to take advantage of the tech.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't care much for them either. I only own a few and I'm still streaming standard movies online but this is a huge deal for people who own 4k tvs and want to take advantage of the tech.

Bingo.

The "pro" not being a 4K BR player really pisses me off as it would have been a day 1 purchase for me.

This deal is, 4K movies are bandwidth hogs...big time. I will not stream them. I'll also say that BRs on my aging PS3 look better than what I've streamed online.

The whole deal has me pretty irritated. I refuse to buy the XBox...I have no use for a PS4 "pro"...stand alone 4K-BR players don't review all that well..so for now, I'm just staying put, I guess.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Build a gaming PC

Way more expensive than a PS4 Pro, but worth it.

Wait until the 7th gen Intel Core chips and the new AMD chips come out early next year before you do that, if you do that.

I went ahead and got the Pro to replace my current PS4. I want Final Fantasy 15 to look extra spiffy, and it looks like more than a few big titles will be taking advantage of it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The reason behind dropping the 4K bluray player (from what I read) was that Sony's own 4K bluray drive won't be ready until March next year so they had the following choices:

- Hold back the Pro for another 4 ~ 5 months, which would narrow down the time advantage gap they have over Scorpio
- Install a 3rd party drive, which would also raise the console's price
- Drop 4K bluray altogether on this iteration

If this was the case, we may see yet another Pro version with 4K bluray drive around Q2 2017.

On another subject, it seems that the newer games take full advantage of SSD's on Pro compared to the older games. FFXV's loading time is almost cut to half, compared to the ~30% of older games like The Division and Watch Dogs (I've seen the difference first hand on my brother's FFXV on Pro with SSD, so I can vouch on it being legit):

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wait until the 7th gen Intel Core chips and the new AMD chips come out early next year before you do that, if you do that.

Id say if you're patient wait and see what AMD Zen delivers (probably going to disappoint, as usual) but overall there is no need to wait for any new CPU from Intel. They haven't exactly broken the barrier since Sandy Bridge.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Got a regular PS4 and see no reason for the Pro given the lackluster specs, lack of 4k drive, and mixed reports on benefits of the upscaling.

Sony will probably release another iteration of the system before the PS5 anyway, so no reason to upgrade.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
An upcoming update 4.50 is reported to improve the performance of some existing games on Pro (assumingly) without patching them. However, I don't expect games capped at 30 fps to run at a higher rate. It probably just means that games will run at a steady frame rate, in case they had issues maintaining the targeted rate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5rtsxo/ps4_system_software_update_450_features_detailed/

Other confirmed features include support of USB3 external storage drives and custom wallpapers (lol).

Full list here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

------------------

Edit:

Pro's Boost mode confirmed for unpatched games. Can improve other aspects than frame rate. The feature is still under testing and may not be included in the final update:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-new-update-adds-ps4-pro-enhancements-for-unpa/1100-6447540/

3190679-16487101_10208352867914424_6396622697287473477_o.jpg

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Interesting feature. I wonder which games really benefit of this setting.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
still struggling whether to get pro or not...................

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
still struggling whether to get pro or not...................

Me too - I'm actually thinking of putting my PS4 white destiny version up for trade for some neo homecarts and then upgrading to a Pro sometime in the future.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I sold my regular PS4 and then the upgrade isn't much to think about in terms money you have to add. Not regretting it one bit. For Honor (the beta) is really looking a lot better on the Pro. Can't wait for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I own a PS4 Pro since the release I think. Ebgames pretty much begged me to trade my old launch PS4 for it. They gave me $210 trade in + $50 off the Pro as well as $100 for 5 games I've bought for $10 to $15 each on amazon and kijiji ($414 trade in value taxes included). I didn't really care for the "Pro" stuff at first. I just wanted a new system on warranty again. I'm fed up with Playstation systems dying on me. The boost mode is good news but Rez Infinite VR is the only thing I'm really looking forward to. I know it's out but I'm waiting for a good deal on the VR headset. That shit is too expensive.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I own a PS4 Pro since the release I think. Ebgames pretty much begged me to trade my old launch PS4 for it. They gave me $210 trade in + $50 off the Pro as well as $100 for 5 games I've bought for $10 to $15 each on amazon and kijiji ($414 trade in value taxes included). I didn't really care for the "Pro" stuff at first. I just wanted a new system on warranty again. I'm fed up with Playstation systems dying on me. The boost mode is good news but Rez Infinite VR is the only thing I'm really looking forward to. I know it's out but I'm waiting for a good deal on the VR headset. That shit is too expensive.
Are they going to reissue a trance vibrator for the PS4 version? :keke:

I was about to scoop your old console before you decided to trade it in. :vik: I've got some gift cards I can stack for the next console deal but considering used as well (I want to play PT).

I want to pick up Biohazard, Bloodborne, Dark Souls II/III, Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5/2.8, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Salt & Sanctuary (PSN) and a bunch of other shit. Xbox One really only has Cuphead, and I would miss Achievements a little bit.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Are they going to reissue a trance vibrator for the PS4 version? :keke:

I was about to scoop your old console before you decided to trade it in. :vik: I've got some gift cards I can stack for the next console deal but considering used as well (I want to play PT).

I want to pick up Biohazard, Bloodborne, Dark Souls II/III, Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5/2.8, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Salt & Sanctuary (PSN) and a bunch of other shit. Xbox One really only has Cuphead, and I would miss Achievements a little bit.

If the Switch is as successful as the Wii, I'm pretty sure Sony will copy/past those HD Rumble Joycons just like they did with the Wiimote. Stick up an Infinite HD Rumble Trance Vibrator up your ass for maximum immersion :buttrock:

I had PT installed in my old PS4 but I lost everything when I upgraded (my fault, I fucked up the USB key transfer thing) but I've read somewhere that it's possible to install the PT demo on new systems if you downloaded it back when it was available. Something about a DNS setup. I should look into that sometime.

Bloodborne is awesome. They're going to release a GOTY version from what I heard. You should wait a little.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
If the Switch is as successful as the Wii, I'm pretty sure Sony will copy/past those HD Rumble Joycons just like they did with the Wiimote. Stick up an Infinite HD Rumble Trance Vibrator up your ass for maximum immersion :buttrock:

I had PT installed in my old PS4 but I lost everything when I upgraded (my fault, I fucked up the USB key transfer thing) but I've read somewhere that it's possible to install the PT demo on new systems if you downloaded it back when it was available. Something about a DNS setup. I should look into that sometime.

Bloodborne is awesome. They're going to release a GOTY version from what I heard. You should wait a little.
I looked up the DNS method, seems like your only chance to get it again if you previously installed it.

I saw some other suggestions to pick up the PAL version of Bloodborne as it's GotY (+DLC), and PS4 games are region free right? ;)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
PS4 games are region free right? ;)

I thought they were going to release it in North America? Or was it Dark Souls III GOTY? I'm not sure. Anyway, you need to make sure that the GOTY content coming with the UK version isn't just a DLC code thrown in the case because you won't be able to enter a UK code on a Canadian PSN account.