Project Dream

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That render is an insult to the innovation and style of the Dreamcast. Where's the sleek and eye-catching console design?
I like the Dreamcast... it also looks rad... but that fan... IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I saw this picture and I instantly felt like puking on so many different levels.

ywozsxhmreiiq1gsb7qr.png

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Sega will never release another console, period. People need to accept it and let the past be the last.

And for the record, the Dreamcast's controller was a cramp inducing piece of crap.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Of course this took no more than 24 hours for some maroon to tag this trash to my facebook.... "K2 check it out!!!"
Ugh

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
So, the guy who came up with this idea is actually just trying to collect enough "signatures" to entice Sega into getting back into the hardware business and create a Dreamcast 2 because the "fans want it". If he gets enough signatures, he'll present them to Sega and then he'll show his "proposal" on what the system show be (because videogame companies would surely design a system based on what some random fan on the internet came up with, especially one like Sega who still has problems turning a big profit since becoming a third party by investing millions into this and reliving the dark days of the mid-late 90s). Then if that doesn't work, he'll setup a crowd-funding operation and get it done himself :lolz::

***Update 1 2015-12-23 16:50 CET***

As there have been a lot of buzz about 隰ヲ?、roject Dream and the Dreamcast 2 as of lately (I think I set the sea in motion with my article on the matter). I felt like it?エs time for me to give you guys and girls some clarification about DC2 and Project Dream. First of all, I?エm sorry that I wasn?t 100% clear from the very start what Project Dream was all about (It was a misunderstanding between me and Patrick Lawsen, something of which I cleared out this morning). Anyhow, I spoke to Patrick Lawsen (his a part of the Project Dream team) earlier today (around 2:00 in the morning, Swedish time) about DC2 and Project Dream? Long story short, Lawsen clarified everything about Project Dream for me:

I just got finished chatting with a Kotaku editor, he's going to publish an article in 100% proper context on our campaign. To prevent confusion that its DC2.

"Yes. That is not DC2. This is a campaign for SEGA to return to hardware and eventually MAKE a Dreamcast 2."

In other words. Project Dream is not Dreamcast 2, but a campaign to get SEGA into the game console market again. And if everything goes according to plan (that enough people show their support for Project Dream). Then the next step would be to convince SEGA to make the REAL Dreamcast 2. So I?ï½´m sorry for the confusion that I caused with my"The Sega Dreamcast 2 project are very much alive, say hello to Project Dream article" (I hope that you can forgive me for that mistake). And I was also given the update on Ben Plato?s Sega Dreamcast Limited Edition Console petition page, in which Ben clarified Project Dream even further:

23 dic 2015 Dear all, there has been a few misconceptions following some misleading information regarding the campaign.

Let me make this clear:

1. We are petitioning Sega and want as many signatures as possible.

2. When we hit a satisfied number of signatures, we will put forth a detailed proposal to Sega (Japan) along with plans, desings etc.

3. We have a developer on board willing to build the console providing Sega give the green light.

4. The console is intended to be a Hybrid PC Dreamcast system with updated specs and the ability to redraw games in High Definition.

5. If Sega doesn't like our proposal, we are planning to push forth and create a machine capable of doing so, however that will require crowd funding.

6. There are other interested parties and we are in ongoing discussion with them and exploring many avenues.

7. The console is yet be named and is not planned to be called Ring Edge or Ring Zero

From the team at Project Dream, we thank you for understanding and urge you to please be patient. We are happy to hear your ideas for a new and improved machine. Ben Plato, head of the Project Dream campaign and the author of the "To design and release a Sega Dreamcast Limited Edition Console petition page"

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
project manchildren

It's hilarious people think that if Sega made a new console, it would somehow magically attract a ton of developers who would go on to create games that were similar to games 15 years ago

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
project manchildren

It's hilarious people think that if Sega made a new console, it would somehow magically attract a ton of developers who would go on to create games that were similar to games 15 years ago

Pretty much. What does another Dreamcast mean for us? More sonic games? More soul calibur titles? We already got those and they were all shit anyway.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Love the DC, but that ship (for a sequel console) has sailed loooong ago. Let it rest in peace for fucks sake.

PS - I liked the controller at the time, but it hasn't aged well.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Crazy hearsay story about why Sega will never make another console...

A year or two ago I was hanging out at a local bar and met a guy who claimed to have been the lead dev for Bleem / Bleemcast. Seemed to know his shit. Can't remember his name because I was drinking, but anyway, here's parts of the stories he told me.

According to this guy, Sega was very interested in Bleemcast and wanted to buy a share of the project. He was flown to Japan where things were drawn up and were to be finalized. An investment from Sega would have been huge. Despite Bleem winning their first round of copyright lawsuits from sony (mainly because they did not use the Sony BIOS but rather reverse-engineered things), Sony was still persisting with trademark lawsuits which were too expensive for them to continue fighting.

Word was (again, according to this guy) that some time during his negotiations with Sega for them to invest in Bleemcast, Sony got a hold of Sega Japan and basically threatened to sue their pants off if they got involved with the project. Sega immediately dropped interest pretty much the day before they were supposed to get financially involved with Bleem/Bleemcast.

I was told that Sony pretty much said to Sega that they knew Dreamcast was losing the console battle, and that if they continued with ventures to get Sony games running on their hardware, they would sue them into the ground. They were told instead to just abandon the hardware aspect and just start making games for other consoles because they were losing the hardware war anyway.

Take this as you will; again, it's just a story I heard from a dude at the bar... but it makes a lot of sense, and I have no reason to believe he would have made this shit up. For this and other reasons I have to believe that Sega will never make another home console.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Crazy hearsay story about why Sega will never make another console...

A year or two ago I was hanging out at a local bar and met a guy who claimed to have been the lead dev for Bleem / Bleemcast. Seemed to know his shit. Can't remember his name because I was drinking, but anyway, here's parts of the stories he told me.

According to this guy, Sega was very interested in Bleemcast and wanted to buy a share of the project. He was flown to Japan where things were drawn up and were to be finalized. An investment from Sega would have been huge. Despite Bleem winning their first round of copyright lawsuits from sony (mainly because they did not use the Sony BIOS but rather reverse-engineered things), Sony was still persisting with trademark lawsuits which were too expensive for them to continue fighting.

Word was (again, according to this guy) that some time during his negotiations with Sega for them to invest in Bleemcast, Sony got a hold of Sega Japan and basically threatened to sue their pants off if they got involved with the project. Sega immediately dropped interest pretty much the day before they were supposed to get financially involved with Bleem/Bleemcast.

I was told that Sony pretty much said to Sega that they knew Dreamcast was losing the console battle, and that if they continued with ventures to get Sony games running on their hardware, they would sue them into the ground. They were told instead to just abandon the hardware aspect and just start making games for other consoles because they were losing the hardware war anyway.

Take this as you will; again, it's just a story I heard from a dude at the bar... but it makes a lot of sense, and I have no reason to believe he would have made this shit up. For this and other reasons I have to believe that Sega will never make another home console.

I find it hard to believe that the guy who made bleemcast was deeply entwined in Sega of Japan's business decisions, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. If anything the hardware was what was selling, cause all the games were essentially free to anyone with a CD burner and Internet.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That's why I'm not proclaiming it as gospel truth, rather just something I heard. It could be entirely bullshit, it could have some truth to it. Who knows. I spent a fair amount of time bullshitting and talking games with the guy and he seemed pretty genuine. Anyway, I wouldn't say he was "deeply entwined in Sega of Japan's business decisions," however, that is what he claimed to have been told when the deal "fell through" (that sony told sega to pull out of emulating playstation games or they'd sue the fuck out of them, and that sony encouraged sega to consider making games for other hardware instead). According to him, prior to that Sega was very interested in getting sony's games to run on the Dreamcast because they already knew they were losing to the PS2 at that point.

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
C'mon guys! We got the Neo Geo X, have some faith.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I love Sega. I just scored a Saturn, so now I have all the consoles since the Master System. With that said, Sega is not even a shell of itself anymore, just like SNK. Sega can't even make a decent Sonic game for the past 15 years. Today, they don't have the capital, marketing, R&D or elementary brains to even think of getting into the console race. They've even admitted they were screwing with loyal fans for years. So, no guilt here if I wanna "try" a couple of games here and there before I get cremated on Ebay.

Consoles are already obsolete. Video game channels are the future. Downloadable content just like everything else. If Sega wants to get back in the club, it better be a game changer that turns every other console into horse buggies overnight.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is only a true DC successor if it has a drive that is nearly as loud as a tablesaw.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I don't understand why they picked, what they did. A much better proposal would have been something like a Sega box, a small unit, with just a sega eshoppe. I think that would have been a much better idea.