Post Your Recent Purchases!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
What's up with Pokemon? I have to be the only guy who doesn't know shit about it. Is it like a RPG or something. I remember watching a few cartoon episodes back in the days that had something to do with cards and a character called pikachu. Or maybe that was Yu-Gi-Oh. Why is this shit so popular?

I doubt highly you're serious on that but on the off chance you're not. Cartoon, massive multibillion dollar toy line, and Nintendo handheld RPG line of games with spinoffs too including a yugioh card battler and pikachu is the mascot more or less. I'm more surprised I'm even finding this junk anymore, especially pokemon considering that pokemon go phone game as it's like crack for everyone.

Renting a van in America after all the "hidden" fees will cost you over $300. Not including gas. I drove over 1400 miles. Even at .15 a mile.....think about that.

Dead on accurate there. I went into looking at that for moving stuff around 4 years back and it was nauseating. After you then add in the gas on top, plus any road stops you make for food, drink, sleeping, etc. It's no wonder people pay the added fee to just pay someone to throw the shit on a truck and do it for you and just box stuff up yourself as it's a joke.

And back to where that started, I don't like scratches. I actually had laid down cardboard and blankets with the tailgate of the Edge, not a scratch anywhere. You can get stuff into cars and stuff fairly easy if you're smart and not reckless about it.

Finally...cosmic fantasy 2. I had that back in the day too, bought it new from turbo zone direct, it was slightly stiff but for the time it was a really fantastic RPG for the system. I'm not sure how well it has aged in nearly 20 years since but it was fun.

...Today I even had a few more little cool things pop up, just couldn't stay home. I got a complete G1 Transformer of Thundercracker with all the accessories (no manual) for $30 (books $60+ on ebay complete.) I collect G1 Transformers when I can find them, usually local but a few I will snap up online if the price warrants it. I'm pushing 70 between normal sized types and the little minis and some of the micromasters too.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I doubt highly you're serious on that but on the off chance you're not. Cartoon, massive multibillion dollar toy line, and Nintendo handheld RPG line of games with spinoffs too including a yugioh card battler and pikachu is the mascot more or less. I'm more surprised I'm even finding this junk anymore, especially pokemon considering that pokemon go phone game as it's like crack for everyone.

Dead on accurate there. I went into looking at that for moving stuff around 4 years back and it was nauseating. After you then add in the gas on top, plus any road stops you make for food, drink, sleeping, etc. It's no wonder people pay the added fee to just pay someone to throw the shit on a truck and do it for you and just box stuff up yourself as it's a joke.

And back to where that started, I don't like scratches. I actually had laid down cardboard and blankets with the tailgate of the Edge, not a scratch anywhere. You can get stuff into cars and stuff fairly easy if you're smart and not reckless about it.

Finally...cosmic fantasy 2. I had that back in the day too, bought it new from turbo zone direct, it was slightly stiff but for the time it was a really fantastic RPG for the system. I'm not sure how well it has aged in nearly 20 years since but it was fun.

...Today I even had a few more little cool things pop up, just couldn't stay home. I got a complete G1 Transformer of Thundercracker with all the accessories (no manual) for $30 (books $60+ on ebay complete.) I collect G1 Transformers when I can find them, usually local but a few I will snap up online if the price warrants it. I'm pushing 70 between normal sized types and the little minis and some of the micromasters too.

NAh bro, I was serious. I mean, I've heard of pokemon of course but I never played the any pokemon video game. All I hear is how great these pokemon games are. I hear about this current mobile version people talk about and the GB games but I seriously have no clue. I keep seeing GB bundles pop up here with pokemon games and I'm like what's the big deal? Not knocking on people who like Pokemon just never been into most RPG's and was wondering if it's worth giving it a shot.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Well it's worth a try. Pokemon is a collectathon and an rpg. It's a well-made game and I played the crap out of it as a kid. However, I find it difficult to sit through now because the whole game is so slow. I also lost interest after generation 2. My brain just can't handle more than 251 Pokemon.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Here let me explain this one as short as I can, you can decide. Pokemon came out when I was in my late 1st or starting 2nd year of college, and before that I had been watching that cartoon you're aware of on TV in the morning before leaving during breakfast so I knew the material so I was curious. The game itself is an interesting beast that has and hasn't evolved in various ways in 20 years now.

The basics of it is this. You're a kid (boy/girl) oddly set out homeless on your own on your quest to be a pokemon master around age 10-13~ish. I know, child abandonment great eh? You're given a starter pokemon of a fire, water or grass type. Think of any traditional RPG where you have various elements and subelements (fire, water, grass, ground, flying, fighting, ghost, electric, steel, fairy, psychic, etc.) Each pokemon can have one or two types along that and each in a pinwheel of death basically have strengths and weaknesses. Water can jack up x2 damage fire, and fire can torch grass, but reversed you'd never take those types backwards or you get your ass handed to you. The rest either do standard damage or with a ghost anything physical hits nothing.

You go around, catch them (all?) 151 in the original batch. Many are easy, some are a bitch to score, a few are a bitch and just hard to locate being 'legendary' which needs requirements. Some games have some the others dont so they'd make you buy both or have a buddy with one, or a pro action replay to cheat unlock the critters. The painful part of the game of which I've only finished 2 of them is leveling up. It's not RPG normal, each one goes up alone. If you need to raise a weakling, you basically have to put the pussy out first, pull them back, let the enemy get a free kick to the teeth on your replacement, and beat down the enemy traditionally speaking. As time went along Nintendo started adding ways to experience share. The very latest of the out X/Y those have EXP share modules, you flip them on, as long as a pokemon is in a ball in your pocket, they all get the XP (very handy, more 'party based rpg' style that way.) The concept is you go around the continent, battle to get better, evolve your pokemon to better beefier evolutions, then kick the crap out of 8 gym leaders to get their badges (tokens of your power/smarts) then take on the final bosses at the end to be the best in the land.

That's really it, they re-do the games every couple of years. It's damned addictive if you commit some time and want to go for it, monumentally so if you're into online/local combat with people, or you have a hoarders instinct to collect things. If not you can easily cherry pick a few of them all and be fine-- say like Yellow, Crystal, FireRed, and X or Y currently. Yellow apes the cartoon and is a definitive version of the first 2 red and blue with tweaks. Crystal is the same but for silver and gold as that was generation 2. FireRed (and LeafGreen) they modernized the origianls so they don't feel dated and they work great and on GBA. X&Y is the newest, has that easy leveling perk, but more of the same but they do add stuff like team battles or 2on2 type fights.

EDIT: My advice to you, try it, but I would only suggest FIRERED for Gameboy Advance. Why? It blends the mechanics of the first 3 generations of the series so it gets you up to speed. You only have to worry about the original popular pokemon (that the Go mobile game is based upon), and it has no battery -- a storage chip for saves so you won't lose it. The old games are notorious for failing due to dead batteries, specially gen2 due to a real time clock. In the last 2 weeks I've had to replace 4 GB batteries over that on stuff I picked up local (Crystal, Yellow, Silver, and Gold) at garage sales.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not a big Pokemon fan, but I did play through Pokemon Blue. It's a legit good RPG, I really like the battle system.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Pokemon is one of my favorite franchises.

To me the single player game has grown stale for the most part since they pretty much been all the same game. And instead of getting progressively more challenging they have actually made them easier and been focusing more on story. Lately i have been enjoying doing more competitive battling. Who knew there was so much going on with the system.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
ypWFuuAl.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here let me explain this one as short as I can, you can decide. Pokemon came out when I was in my late 1st or starting 2nd year of college, and before that I had been watching that cartoon you're aware of on TV in the morning before leaving during breakfast so I knew the material so I was curious. The game itself is an interesting beast that has and hasn't evolved in various ways in 20 years now.

The basics of it is this. You're a kid (boy/girl) oddly set out homeless on your own on your quest to be a pokemon master around age 10-13~ish. I know, child abandonment great eh? You're given a starter pokemon of a fire, water or grass type. Think of any traditional RPG where you have various elements and subelements (fire, water, grass, ground, flying, fighting, ghost, electric, steel, fairy, psychic, etc.) Each pokemon can have one or two types along that and each in a pinwheel of death basically have strengths and weaknesses. Water can jack up x2 damage fire, and fire can torch grass, but reversed you'd never take those types backwards or you get your ass handed to you. The rest either do standard damage or with a ghost anything physical hits nothing.

You go around, catch them (all?) 151 in the original batch. Many are easy, some are a bitch to score, a few are a bitch and just hard to locate being 'legendary' which needs requirements. Some games have some the others dont so they'd make you buy both or have a buddy with one, or a pro action replay to cheat unlock the critters. The painful part of the game of which I've only finished 2 of them is leveling up. It's not RPG normal, each one goes up alone. If you need to raise a weakling, you basically have to put the pussy out first, pull them back, let the enemy get a free kick to the teeth on your replacement, and beat down the enemy traditionally speaking. As time went along Nintendo started adding ways to experience share. The very latest of the out X/Y those have EXP share modules, you flip them on, as long as a pokemon is in a ball in your pocket, they all get the XP (very handy, more 'party based rpg' style that way.) The concept is you go around the continent, battle to get better, evolve your pokemon to better beefier evolutions, then kick the crap out of 8 gym leaders to get their badges (tokens of your power/smarts) then take on the final bosses at the end to be the best in the land.

That's really it, they re-do the games every couple of years. It's damned addictive if you commit some time and want to go for it, monumentally so if you're into online/local combat with people, or you have a hoarders instinct to collect things. If not you can easily cherry pick a few of them all and be fine-- say like Yellow, Crystal, FireRed, and X or Y currently. Yellow apes the cartoon and is a definitive version of the first 2 red and blue with tweaks. Crystal is the same but for silver and gold as that was generation 2. FireRed (and LeafGreen) they modernized the origianls so they don't feel dated and they work great and on GBA. X&Y is the newest, has that easy leveling perk, but more of the same but they do add stuff like team battles or 2on2 type fights.

EDIT: My advice to you, try it, but I would only suggest FIRERED for Gameboy Advance. Why? It blends the mechanics of the first 3 generations of the series so it gets you up to speed. You only have to worry about the original popular pokemon (that the Go mobile game is based upon), and it has no battery -- a storage chip for saves so you won't lose it. The old games are notorious for failing due to dead batteries, specially gen2 due to a real time clock. In the last 2 weeks I've had to replace 4 GB batteries over that on stuff I picked up local (Crystal, Yellow, Silver, and Gold) at garage sales.

Thanks for explanation. I'll give that gba one a shot. Gonna have to fire up that ezflash.

nornor1

NEST Puppet
Purchased a CMVS about a month ago. the person I got it from got it from JammaNation X. its the Cream colored case version. with the smaller MV-1c motherboard. 3.3 unibios, outputs RGB through Scart only. came with a 161 in 1 cart, PS1/2 controller adapter(I swapped the button layout in the adapter), and a modified 3rd party Snes controller. it was Junk, so I took that off and converted a broken TE2 arcade stick to the controller wire. also picked up the 138 in 1, and did the Dipswitch mod to it. Pretty fun system. I always wanted the NeoGeo growing up. There are a lot of great games on this system.

View attachment 39349

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Ud3hhZ5.jpg

v1FFiTC.jpg

Board is Caveman Ninja. Will play around with everything after dinner. :buttrock:

So what are people using to store arcade PCBs these days...? :conf:

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
:lolz:

//EDIT: serious though - good post.

I know I felt the same after seeing it, but going much shorter would have left out some information of value I think. You've seen the pokemon crap around, that post barely qualified as a nutshell explanation how damned insane people get in it over even the somewhat sub/hidden stats the damn things have for 1on1 personal combat and I don't even get it and doubt Nintendo early on put that much thought to it as well.

RAZO: Good idea if you got the ezflash and it's the most stable anyways to really take a crack at. If somehow you get sucked in, know that once you knock off the traditional game from the 8bit title it has an extension to it quite a bit which go into other regions that have the second set of them in play too. It was a nice gimme of sorts but damn it's too much work unless that's all you care about doing.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
So what are people using to store arcade PCBs these days...? :conf:

I started looking over this again, this morning. ULine's are popular for their design, but so are Priority mail boxes from USPS :emb:

I'd like to get acrylic cases, but that convenience ain't cheap.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I know I felt the same after seeing it, but going much shorter would have left out some information of value I think. You've seen the pokemon crap around, that post barely qualified as a nutshell explanation how damned insane people get in it over even the somewhat sub/hidden stats the damn things have for 1on1 personal combat and I don't even get it and doubt Nintendo early on put that much thought to it as well.

RAZO: Good idea if you got the ezflash and it's the most stable anyways to really take a crack at. If somehow you get sucked in, know that once you knock off the traditional game from the 8bit title it has an extension to it quite a bit which go into other regions that have the second set of them in play too. It was a nice gimme of sorts but damn it's too much work unless that's all you care about doing.

You mean Pokeman IV's and EV's. IV's are stagnant values that will never change for a pokemon and are determined when you catch them. In Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal the values ranged from 0 to 15, any game after that it was 0 to 31. These values affect in the games (ATK,DEF,SPeed,Special,Special defense, and speed).

Effort values aka EV's on the other hand are hidden parameters as well that each time you fight a pokemon you get say +2 speed evs if its a certain pokemon. Other pokemons give different ones. In the old gen 2 and gen 1 games this was called stat training and wasn't as autistic as it is now (where you have to carefully count how many of each pokemon you have defeated so you get the desired stats you want). In the old ones you just pounded the Elite 4 a gorilion times until it maxed out.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

So why is this a thing and why was it hidden and still hidden cryptically? Because gamefreak is incompetent,sucks at balancing, and wants every pokemon to be "unique".

I'll give you an example of how it works. Say you catch a level 70 Mewtwo with 31/31/31/31/31/31 vs a mewtwo that has 0/0/0/0/0/0. The numbers are the IVS it has and are as follows Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed

The first Mewtwo would have 31 more in every single stat than the second Mewtwo.

This is without leveling or stat training/ev training. Once you EV train you can have a maximum of 510 effort points. Vitamins and minerals and shit give like +10 to a certain stat. Certain pokemon give +2 to speed, maybe +1 to speed, sometimes 3. Different pokemon give out a different type of EV.You see how annoying this is to keep track of?

So how does this make my stats better? Those efforts points give you +1 to each individual stat for every 4 effort points.Pokemon are also limited to 255 effort point max to any individual stat. So if im doing my math right say you do special attack on mewtwo and speed, he would have 63.5 more in speed and special attack than plebs who don't give a shit.

EV's are also another reason why Rare Candy pokemon are shit compared to ones that have fought to level 100. They just don't have the EV's.

Tl;dr bring back Stat training, this shit is dumb.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
You mean Pokeman IV's and EV's. IV's are stagnant values that will never change for a pokemon and are determined when you catch them. In Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal the values ranged from 0 to 15, any game after that it was 0 to 31. These values affect in the games (ATK,DEF,SPeed,Special,Special defense, and speed).

Effort values aka EV's on the other hand are hidden parameters as well that each time you fight a pokemon you get say +2 speed evs if its a certain pokemon. Other pokemons give different ones. In the old gen 2 and gen 1 games this was called stat training and wasn't as autistic as it is now (where you have to carefully count how many of each pokemon you have defeated so you get the desired stats you want). In the old ones you just pounded the Elite 4 a gorilion times until it maxed out.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

So why is this a thing and why was it hidden and still hidden cryptically? Because gamefreak is incompetent,sucks at balancing, and wants every pokemon to be "unique".

I'll give you an example of how it works. Say you catch a level 70 Mewtwo with 31/31/31/31/31/31 vs a mewtwo that has 0/0/0/0/0/0. The numbers are the IVS it has and are as follows Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed

The first Mewtwo would have 31 more in every single stat than the second Mewtwo.

This is without leveling or stat training/ev training. Once you EV train you can have a maximum of 510 effort points. Vitamins and minerals and shit give like +10 to a certain stat. Certain pokemon give +2 to speed, maybe +1 to speed, sometimes 3. Different pokemon give out a different type of EV.You see how annoying this is to keep track of?

So how does this make my stats better? Those efforts points give you +1 to each individual stat for every 4 effort points.Pokemon are also limited to 255 effort point max to any individual stat. So if im doing my math right say you do special attack on mewtwo and speed, he would have 63.5 more in speed and special attack than plebs who don't give a shit.

EV's are also another reason why Rare Candy pokemon are shit compared to ones that have fought to level 100. They just don't have the EV's.

Tl;dr bring back Stat training, this shit is dumb.

None of this accounts for the port delay/lag incurred depending on which device you are using to try and catch though.....

greenframe

n00b
Just got this Puppy( Vewlix L) the other day. Initially I had a hard time getting the best picture and sound, but its finally done. Im still missing some Led and new buttons but Im very pleased. IMG_2809.JPGIMG_2828.JPG

Tanooki

War Room Troll
F-----ck... chuchu I knew some of that, but not all of it. I knew enough NOT to care and NEVER to play it as a multiplayer game and that's why. I can barely stand to level up a dozen of them and change to clear the game fairly well without having some faults in a line up that really hurt which is why I only have taken down 2 of the entire line-up of titles (and that's even with a helper guide from Nintendo etc.) I have to wonder of the boredom level, OCD level, or insanity trip someone would be on to be that dedicated to random and not so random stats to get some perfect wack ass pokemon for some lame digital battle with someone else with similar mental problems. Yeesh. I just play it on random occasion for fun as I like the light mood and capturing something weird and random.