Post Your Recent Purchases!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That's the debate.. to turbo or not. I might go with an overclock for the AES instead. We'll talk about it lol.
It's a beautiful cart. If it were me I'd turbo an MVS cart and keep the AES stock, but that's my opinion.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
It's a beautiful cart. If it were me I'd turbo an MVS cart and keep the AES stock, but that's my opinion.

I'd definitely turbo it without thinking. Of course keep the original PROM chip, but honestly, this game is borderline unplayable stock. I'd rather it run and get some use than just sit pretty.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Don’t modify a $2000+ cart. Scoop a NeoSD and run the turbo ROM on there and have access to the full library. Best of both worlds and you don’t devalue your Slug 2. That really should be a no brainer, and I think it’s stupid to modify an original AES Slug 2 in this day and age.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Redfield is closing in on the final task, the purchase of Metal Slug.... careful... people who do that tend to mysteriously disappear.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Don’t modify a $2000+ cart. Scoop a NeoSD and run the turbo ROM on there and have access to the full library. Best of both worlds and you don’t devalue your Slug 2. That really should be a no brainer, and I think it’s stupid to modify an original AES Slug 2 in this day and age.

How exactly does it devalue the cart to make it playable?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

Because the cart was modified to begin with. It's gonna take a hit in value for that, same with CPS2 games that were phoenixed versus battery powered. Yes, it's better and more practical, but overall modifying it make it lose value.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Because the cart was modified to begin with. It's gonna take a hit in value for that, same with CPS2 games that were phoenixed versus battery powered. Yes, it's better and more practical, but overall modifying it make it lose value.

I don't know if I'd compare it to phoenixing a CPS2 since those ROMs are unusable with their encryption. The original chip hasn't gone anywhere in the case of MS2.

But I suppose if there's a perception of value lost then there's value lost. It's still a waste.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
988c71a2819a2f923e277368a86bb5ac.jpg

My Slug 3 LP was finally released from Covid Limbo.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

The amount of people who are willing to part with $2000+ for a Metal Slug 2 is very small. The amount of people who are willing to pay the same price for a copy that’s modified from its original state, now we’re talking almost nonexistent. A lot of the people I know who have the spare money to buy these games wouldn't touch a modified copy. Who wants to spend $2000+ on a turbo’d Slug 2 when you can just buy an MVS conversion that’s been turbo’d for a hell of a lot less. It just doesn’t make any sense to modify an original cart when there are cheaper ways to go about it without modifying a $2000+ original.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Redfield is closing in on the final task, the purchase of Metal Slug.... careful... people who do that tend to mysteriously disappear.

I have found someone with an authentic Japanese copy. Problem is, the recent sale that I know of sold for 15k. That isn't going to happen.

Sure I could trade some of my slugs, but these were hard as fuck to find and I honestly don't think I have it in me to do it again. Slug 2 was the absolute HARDEST one to find. There are almost as many fakes for MS2 as there are for MS.

Metal Slug will either be a conversion or a MVS copy and I'll just have to live with that. 2-5 is good enough of an accomplishment for me.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I have found someone with an authentic Japanese copy. Problem is, the recent sale that I know of sold for 15k. That isn't going to happen.

$15k is too much. You’re getting had at that price. You’d be worse off than the guy who spend $1500 on Slug 4. :lolz: I’ve seen a couple copies sell in good condition for $8000-$9000 in the last year. Not mint, but good enough to where I think you’d be happy. It’s still an incredible amount of money. Just wanted you to know that they’re changing hands for less than $15,000.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Jesus, even $8000-$9000 is insane. I'll have to just settle for a Neo SD or something. I'm priced out.

I'm playing through MS2 right now and the slow down isn't bugging me yet. I'm just starting level 3 though. I'm not gonna turbo hack it. I rather just OC the AES. You all make a hell of a lot of sense especially if I want to trade it down the road. Looking up at my shelf and seeing a Japanese copy in a sea of English is low key killing me lol.

traveno

Rugal's Thug
6045e3a046371c5a65f513c6fd34e937.jpg

New bios came in yesterday. I swapped out my old UNIBIOS for the latest. Everything works great.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Can confirm that my copy of SVC has that weird smooth plastic. I like it actually.

Same. This got me to go through my collection, and my copy of World Heroes Perfect also has the smooth, looser plastic as my copy of SVC. Those games released 8 years apart. While the insert, game, and instructions are authentic, I wonder if the case has been switched out at some point as all other games from this era I own have the matte finish?

This is all useless knowledge and I've wasted my life

This entire hobby is useless knowledge. :) A community of useless knowledge sharing.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Time to throw some controversy into the mix:

This was all before my time as a Neo Geo collector. I wanted to see first hand how bad the quality of NGF was. I don't understand why they gave an obvious Japanese release a English insert. The quality is ink jet level. I imagine those KOF 2000 release look like absolute trash in person.

The soft case is in great shape, cart and manual are great as well. I'll source a real insert and the shred this one.

For your consideration, NGF Robo Army:

20200611_145116_13.jpg

20200611_144923_13.jpg

KingOfSLUGS

New Challenger
Time to throw some controversy into the mix:

This was all before my time as a Neo Geo collector. I wanted to see first hand how bad the quality of NGF was. I don't understand why they gave an obvious Japanese release a English insert. The quality is ink jet level. I imagine those KOF 2000 release look like absolute trash in person.

The soft case is in great shape, cart and manual are great as well. I'll source a real insert and the shred this one.

For your consideration, NGF Robo Army:

View attachment 56893

View attachment 56894

The concept of just finding a replacement insert is hardly as easy as one may perceive lol. I’ve seen freaking manuals sell for a few hundred these days which is just outright stupidity......tisk tisk

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
"Reproduction prohibited".

Very scary. NGF ain't nothin ta fuck with.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Heh. So you won that auction off of eBay. I was watching all three of the freaked games he had up for sale to see how much they went for. I think the Mutation Nation and NAM went for too much. Robo Army was under the cost of a normal Japanese copy so it’s not a total loss. Some might think otherwise but that’s my take.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
The concept of just finding a replacement insert is hardly as easy as one may perceive lol. I’ve seen freaking manuals sell for a few hundred these days which is just outright stupidity......tisk tisk

Yeah but it's Robo Army lol. I'm sure Kenny has one.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Heh. So you won that auction off of eBay. I was watching all three of the freaked games he had up for sale to see how much they went for. I think the Mutation Nation and NAM went for too much. Robo Army was under the cost of a normal Japanese copy so it’s not a total loss. Some might think otherwise but that’s my take.

HAHA yup. Mutation Nataion went way too high and I think there was a split in the case if I remeber. Ebay bucks brought it down to like 116 I think.

I've been wanting to play this game for a while man. A local Retro store had a English copy for 450 and it was trashed!

Had to suck it up and join the "Big Tymer" club.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
How much did MUtation Nation, Robo Army and Nam end up selling for, in total?

Last edited: