Playstation (1) was the single most important console in gaming history

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well as far as the previous post. N vs. S was one thing then Sony got in there and proved themselves and changed the whole industry. I remember when MS got involved not only was there serious hate just on principal but the system and game packaging being just heinous. People were just looking for an alternative.

Honestly I don't think any of that shit actually matters. As long as these companies keep bringing new shit some people will always buy.

The major difference now is it's the same people from back in the mid 90s and now they have disposable income. Drooling over the idea of something new. Plus kids don't change either, the hype machine will never die.

Anyway you look at it they're all just pieces of a never ending puzzle.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The games now suck though

While I don't necessarily disagree, there's just as many great games being made now as there were 20 years ago. The difference is that they swim in such an ocean of festering shit, it's not as easy to pick them out. Most of the current platforms have AWFUL content discovery tools and there is so much trash being uploaded to Steam and mobile platforms on a daily basis, there's very little way for the great games that ARE being made in almost every genre to shine through. Hell, even the PS4 and XBone which have better (but not great) content filtering are awful at promoting anything other than the mega-budget shooters and open-world borefests that pay to advertise on their platforms.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
The early days of 3D gaming were a shit show. There I was playing Mega Drive, SNES and Neo Geo,enjoying the hell out of the greatest gaming generation. Then along comes the N64 and Playstation and everything went downhill. The Saturn was disappointing outside of Japan. All three new consoles on the scene showcased terrible 3D graphics and mostly shitty games that played like a slug compared to what came before.

yeah but you dont have to buy 3D games on these systems since Day 1, there were plenty of 2D and Sprite based games available on the PS1 and Saturn. And the sprite based games who were made in that era also ended up being the most beautiful ever made, Darkstalkers 3, Castlevania SotN, Alundra, Keio 2, Elemental Gearbolt, Breath of Fire 3&4 etc.

I think it comes down to perception, for me i rather play a PS1 3D game over a lot of PC Engine, Megadrive and SNES games as they lack the quality of something like Alundra or Dark Savior.

buru5

War Room Troll
In terms of popularizing video gaming to the masses, the NES is far more important.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
In terms of popularizing video gaming to the masses, the NES is far more important.
Meh, only in the states.
There was no video game crash over here in the UK and europe in general.
So us lot were happily playing away on our speccy's and C64's.
NES was not a real big deal over here on the other side of the pond.
The hold of the micro computer was strong, don't underestimate it.
NES and SMS spanked the C64 and speccy in just about all aspect's but we still loved them, and it was a love affair that lasted into the start of the 16bit era as well.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm sure there's all sorts of opinions up in this thing, but it'll be too long and probably eye hurting in some cases to read. ;)

Do I agree NO. Do it disagree either NO. Yeah that makes sense doesn't it? Truth be told, the industry thanks to the greed and stupidity of uncontrolled game development and developers the industry was fucked in 1983 hard as far as the non-Japanese market goes when it came to consoles. Nintendo had a few people with some pretty brassy balls try and bring things back with an overly iron fisted Yamauchi insanity going on tactics and all and in 1985 and into 1986 it brought back what had pretty much (handheld LCD toys and computer games aside) resurrected a dead industry outside of Japan where it was thriving. The NES did that. The NES also gave us many mainstays that stick with us even today. I'm talking about the solid 8 point comfortable d-pad, controller style in general, solid practical console bound light gun games, even DDR has something to nod to with the annoying power pad. Without the NES you likely would not have had Sega take the plunge with their Master System, and from there no Gameboy from Nintendo, Game Gear from Sega, NEC wouldn't have jumped in with the HuCard and CD based systems and so on.

Sony bless their icy hearts they didn't give a shit other than game development. Nintendo brought them in with their SNES sound chip, then some limited game development licenses too, but ultimately Nintendo fucked them in the ass hard with the SNES-CDROM device. We've seen it, literally, Ben Heck fixed that shit too, the Nintendo Playstation. That device having been looked at has the roots of what became the PSX with a lot of upgrades and changes to the device, and some not really so much too, it was a learning tool. Nintendo fucked them, they wasted a lot of money and time for nothing, so they ran with it and we got the PSX. Playstation now that thing was the single most important CD based console in history. It's also perhaps the single most important mainstream console in history too. As wide spread as the NES was it never really got keen with the 18 and up group, gaming even if for just the era to blame, was a kids/teens thing. Sony with the PSX they made it gaming for all ages. They also made much of their bank off what Nintendo fostered, a shit load of AAA quality franchises that were birthed on the NES and SNES, not on Sony's watch at all. Nintendo, the NES in particular was the most important system in general to gaming as it resurrected an caused it to flourish, but Sony with their PSX is the most important system to bring games into the mainstream, the masses, and of all ages making the older perception of just for kids with Nintendo and Sega start to become a fading memory.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Meh, only in the states.
NES and SMS spanked the C64 and speccy in just about all aspect's but we still loved them, and it was a love affair that lasted into the start of the 16bit era as well.

Without the NES though there would have been no SNES. You probably would have only had the Megadrive games to look forward to. Also no SNES means no Playstation (since PSX was a failed add on to SNES) so the generation after SNES and Genesis would probably just be Sega and PC. That would be quite the difference in the UK IMO.

buru5

War Room Troll
Meh, only in the states.

Regardless, it's sure as hell not the Ps1.

cat

The video game market in North America is EXTREMELY important
It most certainly is i'm not disputing it, that's why nintendo went after it with such gusto when it released the nes over there.
The nes is massively important/nostalgic/cherished in america no doubt about it, but did the ps1 crack open more markets than the nes, well yes i think it did.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It most certainly is i'm not disputing it, that's why nintendo went after it with such gusto when it released the nes over there.
The nes is massively important/nostalgic/cherished in america no doubt about it, but did the ps1 crack open more markets than the nes, well yes i think it did.

PS1 didn't really crack markets. The markets were already there established with the last generation. What they did (and it was just as amazing) was conquer the markets in 1 generation. Really in just a few years. That's nothing short of amazing and I doubt a feat that will be duplicated any time soon.

cat

PS1 didn't really crack markets. The markets were already there established with the last generation. What they did (and it was just as amazing) was conquer the markets in 1 generation. Really in just a few years. That's nothing short of amazing and I doubt a feat that will be duplicated any time soon.
Yep worded just the way i meant to do it mr bakaboy lol.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
No, no it wasn't.

I'd have more to say on this topic if it wasn't so obviously false.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
pick the top three games on the PSX

now, pick the top three games on the Saturn

now, pick the top three games on the N64

Which system would you want to play first?

cat

Whatever your opinion and whether you like it or not, on a worldwide scale the ps1 was a juggernaut, figure's speak for themselves.
It cleaned up, spanked the saturn and N64, and the ps2 was even bigger.
I like the sony consoles but i'm no sony fanboy.
The way thing's panned out with sega self destructing and ninty putting out they're worse console EVER, sony stepped in took the market share and also made gaming cool to the masses (something sega had been trying to do for year's).
The piece's fell in place for them at exactly the right time.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
PSX wins for me. It literally changed my gaming habits. From a hobby to a way of life.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Whatever your opinion and whether you like it or not, on a worldwide scale the ps1 was a juggernaut, figure's speak for themselves.
It cleaned up, spanked the saturn and N64, and the ps2 was even bigger.
I like the sony consoles but i'm no sony fanboy.
The way thing's panned out with sega self destructing and ninty putting out they're worse console EVER, sony stepped in took the market share and also made gaming cool to the masses (something sega had been trying to do for year's).
The piece's fell in place for them at exactly the right time.

ok, but were the games actually good on the whole?

no. just another case of the mainstream showing low level intelligence.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
What!? The games where great! JRPGs and the PSX was king. I believe the PSX nailed every genre eventually.

If you subscribed to magazines or actually did as much as we do now on the internet, I would agree it was mainstream but the majority of us were teens. My personal experience was this controler is awesome and these games are great! And I learned that from friends that had one, who learned that from friends that had one.

Though the PSX is not the greatest of all time it still deserves its praise.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Though I owned and loved my ps1, I always resented it to some extent for what it did to sega.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
ok, but were the games actually good on the whole?

no. just another case of the mainstream showing low level intelligence.

I was a saturn owner first (because my brother convinced me to buy it over the PS1 even though it was more expensive), and then an N64 owner (no bullshit, it was because I was sick that day and gave my brother money to go buy a PSX and came back with that other systems instead lol). I got my PS1 around the end of 98. Finally. I knew how mainstream it was, and that it had lighting effect gimmicks and transparencies, things that made it stand out superficially mostly, like mode 7 did back in the day. Thing is as much as I enjoyed the Saturn and thought Mario 64 was something out of this world (just like now you'll watch some let's play video on yt I used to just watch my brother play), PSX was where the most interesting ideas where. The output in terms of jp games, arcade style fighting games, weird sport games etc. I've always liked Japanese games and from the west, bitmap bros and that ilk.
So my top three Im not sure what it would include, but I feel Sony was truly inspired with that system. More so than following systems. I hated all the shit marketing around the machine. But just seeing stuff like MGS Parappa the Rapper and RE1 for the thing, well, it was definitely pushing things in a mind blowing direction. All of this without sacrificing tons of original arcade style gaming coming out of Japan.
I know this post was just me gushing. I pretty much dislike Sony consoles after this. Was always more Sega and Nintendo 'fan'.
Anyway

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What!? The games where great! JRPGs and the PSX was king. I believe the PSX nailed every genre eventually.

If you subscribed to magazines or actually did as much as we do now on the internet, I would agree it was mainstream but the majority of us were teens. My personal experience was this controler is awesome and these games are great! And I learned that from friends that had one, who learned that from friends that had one.

Though the PSX is not the greatest of all time it still deserves its praise.

On the other hand it did not nail 2d game genres at all. It provided a ton of games that haven't aged well at all. The best game on the system was FFT. The fighting games were all better on the Saturn (ram cart) or the Neo Geo.

What's the best beat em up, fighting game, and shooter on the PSX?

I will present you with one of each that came out better on the Saturn. As for RPGs, I don't really care. RPGs and JRPGs didn't define the system. The PSX was defined more by FMV as a method of cloaking shitty overall graphics, as well as dubious marketing. Did you know that when the PS2 was about to be released, game store employees were telling people not to buy available dreamcasts and instead wait? Wonder why...

Now we have a generation of adults who grew up wanting to suck Ken Kutaragi's dick.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
On the other hand it did not nail 2d game genres at all. It provided a ton of games that haven't aged well at all. The best game on the system was FFT. The fighting games were all better on the Saturn (ram cart) or the Neo Geo.

What's the best beat em up, fighting game, and shooter on the PSX?

I will present you with one of each that came out better on the Saturn. As for RPGs, I don't really care. RPGs and JRPGs didn't define the system. The PSX was defined more by FMV as a method of cloaking shitty overall graphics, as well as dubious marketing. Did you know that when the PS2 was about to be released, game store employees were telling people not to buy available dreamcasts and instead wait? Wonder why...

Now we have a generation of adults who grew up wanting to suck Ken Kutaragi's dick.

None of this was known to me. Poor kids bought what there poor friends had. And they had Sony.

All your points dont make that much sense though, because Sega and Nintendo wanted a piece of that action. Tried and failed.

I love Sega, but that left turn... And Nintendo lost me after the SNES as it did with my friends. It was just what people wanted. It was what I wanted and I turned my back to nintendo and sega for the future.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
pick the top three games on the PSX

now, pick the top three games on the Saturn

now, pick the top three games on the N64

Which system would you want to play first?

I love the Saturn. Mostly because of the arcade ports. Looking at playing games now that I can't just play the arcade version. PSX wins hands down for me. Seriously though this generation is probably one that I play the least since the 3d titles are ugly now and the arcade ports pointless compared to playing mame. Excluding arcade ports and ports on both systems (or all 3 adding N64)

Saturn:
Nights
Guardian Heroes
Panzer Dragoon Saga

PSX:
Tobal 2
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania Chronicles

N64:
Perfect Dark
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Zelda Ocarina of time