Playmore to open Online Fan Club- "SNK World"

Sickliquid86

Galford's Armourer
Thanx buttrock Is it better to get AES or MVS? And would you suggest getting CD? I kind of want CD bcuz there games are cheap as HELL but no new ones are coming out :( . Also I know the initial cost of the MVS unit is more to set up but is it still better than AES? Do they make cool cases for turning MVS to a console?

-Peace-
Luis

<small>[ May 03, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Sickliquid86 ]</small>

buster_broon

The Rock,
Sickliquid86:
Thanx buttrock Is it better to get AES or MVS? And would you suggest getting CD? I kind of want CD bcuz there games are cheap as HELL but no new ones are coming out :( . Also I know the initial cost of the MVS unit is more to set up but is it still better than AES? Do they make cool cases for turning MVS to a console?

-Peace-
Luis
to be honest what you wanna do is check out:

tech
16 bit
game play

all your answers are in there

cd - cheapest option - very good
mvs/aes - exactly the same but mvs is cheaper but too many bootlegs imo
mvs cases are shock boxes and you can download custom inserts to go with them - big bear is the man to see

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
buster_broon:
Sickliquid86:

-Peace-
Luis

tech
16 bit
game play

mvs cases are shock boxes and you can download custom inserts to go with them - big bear is the man to see
Of course the irony here is that the bootleg scandle didn't really start until a few years ago when the cleaning threads popped up here. A few other members as well as myself pointed out that we always open carts up to clean and look for bootlegs.

Before that, it was pretty uncommon to see a post like "Is this a bootleg" in tech support. Basically, a lot of people never even checked, and since the bootlegs looked real, no one even suspected.

The point I am trying to get to is... how many of you know your homecarts are not bootlegs? How do you know that they aren't conversions with really good print jobs? It could happen, and since no one opens up their home carts, who is to know.

I think it is very probable that there are a number of bootleg homecart games as well, especially these days when certain carts can fetch thousands of dollars. True, many can tell the difference, but maybe some can not, or maybe the fakes are really good. For example, a lot of MVS people thought they were safe when buying full kits, but recently I have heard of a few reports of completly fake MVS kits!

Anyway, not a paranoia post, not trying to freak anyone out... I just think it is silly that people think MVS are the only ones to see bootlegs... Don't even get me started on how easy it would be to bootleg the CD games wink

-Nick

Sickliquid86

Galford's Armourer
Anyway, not a paranoia post, not trying to freak anyone out... I just think it is silly that people think MVS are the only ones to see bootlegs... Don't even get me started on how easy it would be to bootleg the CD games
is a rose called by another name anyless wonderful- Shakespeare
To me If I bought a fake kit I would be pissed for paying full price andf ripping off the dev'rs, I wish people wouldnt try to scam other's I wouldn't have a problem the bootleggers jsut said they were bootlegs, then people could get bootlegs and sell them as bootlegs making a submarket for those who didnt care and then the real MVS carts value wouldnt be affected as much. But in truth ignorance is bliss so, real or not if it is fun to play it is fun to play wink

<small>[ May 05, 2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Sickliquid86 ]</small>

aria

Former Moderator
nruva:
Of course the irony here is that the bootleg scandle didn't really start until a few years ago when the cleaning threads popped up here. A few other members as well as myself pointed out that we always open carts up to clean and look for bootlegs.
Yeah, thanks nick :rolleyes:

wink wink wink

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Bobak:
nruva:
Yeah, thanks nick :rolleyes:

wink wink wink
If you remember it was like a flood gate. And, truthfully, I had no idea how many carts were out there. I had a fake Puzzle Bobble, a fake MS2, Andro Dunos, and a Neo Turf Masters pass through my hands. At that time, probably 4 fakes for the 70 or so games I had.

I didn't think it was an epidemic, but as soon as we all started saying check for bootlegs... all of a sudden tons of people were getting pissed and showing pictures of hacked boards. And some of these boards were in full kits, original looking stickers, etc, etc... I just wonder how many bootleg home games are out there.... hell, maybe there aren't that many at all, but... in this market I tend to believe otherwise.

-Nick

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
nruva:
buster_broon:
Sickliquid86:

-Peace-
Luis

tech
16 bit
game play

Before that, it was pretty uncommon to see a post like "Is this a bootleg" in tech support. Basically, a lot of people never even checked, and since the bootlegs looked real, no one even suspected.

The point I am trying to get to is... how many of you know your homecarts are not bootlegs? How do you know that they aren't conversions with really good print jobs? It could happen, and since no one opens up their home carts, who is to know.

I think it is very probable that there are a number of bootleg homecart games as well, especially these days when certain carts can fetch thousands of dollars. True, many can tell the difference, but maybe some can not, or maybe the fakes are really good. For example, a lot of MVS people thought they were safe when buying full kits, but recently I have heard of a few reports of completly fake MVS kits!

Anyway, not a paranoia post, not trying to freak anyone out... I just think it is silly that people think MVS are the only ones to see bootlegs... Don't even get me started on how easy it would be to bootleg the CD games wink

-Nick
If you'd ask me, no real bootlegs of AES carts exist. I have never seen one and I opened a lot of carts (I like doing conversions etc). I think the home system wasn't too attracktive for bootleggers, since the market was too small and aes carts cost a small amount of money, compared to what mvs cost those days.

In case of AES, someone would have to produce inserts, manuals, baggies and cases besides the carts themselves. That just wasn't doable on small scale while still making profit I guess.

Off course these days someone could make a conversion, print some very hq inserts and put them in an original box and sell the whole as a AES cart missing the manual. I for sure can open a AES cart without leaving any trace on it :) .

But does that happen ? No real collector would buy a slug from someone he doesn't trust or is known to be trusted and no real collector would let a printed insert pass as a new one.

So I don't think it happens too often.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
leGionellz:
nruva:
buster_broon:
Sickliquid86:

-Peace-
Luis

tech
16 bit
game play

-Nick
If you'd ask me, no real bootlegs of AES carts exist. I have never seen one and I opened a lot of carts (I like doing conversions etc). I think the home system wasn't too attracktive for bootleggers, since the market was too small and aes carts cost a small amount of money, compared to what mvs cost those days.

In case of AES, someone would have to produce inserts, manuals, baggies and cases besides the carts themselves. That just wasn't doable on small scale while still making profit I guess.

Off course these days someone could make a conversion, print some very hq inserts and put them in an original box and sell the whole as a AES cart missing the manual. I for sure can open a AES cart without leaving any trace on it :) .

But does that happen ? No real collector would buy a slug from someone he doesn't trust or is known to be trusted and no real collector would let a printed insert pass as a new one.

So I don't think it happens too often.
That is very true, and, it is easier to bootleg MVS, since most people only care about the game and not even any extras that originally shipped with it... That makes the job as easy as hacking a board to work and printing a realistic label for it. Anyway, the best way to handle it is exactly as you said. Only buy from sellers you trust, and if you are worried about bootlegs, the best thing to do is be educated enough to spot them, and refuse to accept them if you buy them.

Now back to the SNK World thread... I want COOL COOL TOON FOR MVS! wink

-Nick

Daisuke Jigen:
Electroman:
I'm happy that they are running a fan club but huh? Does playmore freking love Easter or something? I mean cmon, to what demographic are they trying to appeal to here, 4 year olds? Jeeze, even most kids under 10 will still think its GAY.

I say make a sequel to NAM'75, call it SNKWORLDKILLERS'75, and shoot these two bastards full of fucking holes?

Playmore, you insulted us!

Oh, this fan club cannot possibly be worldwide, they would have billions more people laugh at them instead of just the Japan population.
Shut the hell up, and quit posturing. People who enjoy games for what they are know how cool this is.
angry <shaking head>

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
does anyone know if there will be an english version of SNK World Cuz I for one would like to join but I cant read Japanese. crying