Playing Fatal Fury

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Anyone else get stuck on Raiden? That guy is such an asshole in this game (playing on Normal setting in home cart mode). That Tung Fu Rue guy was pretty bad, but I did eventually beat him. Raiden though is just irritating. He's got a ridiculous reach with his kick, likes to get up in your face and smack you around, spams the grabbing moves and pretty much can't be hit when attacking across planes. I've managed to finish one round on him, but he always beats me twice no matter what. This is just ridiculous... Anyone got suggestions on beating Raiden?

Last edited:

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Push start and select, go to cheat database. That's the way I beat raiden.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
... Umm, thanks a bunch for the "helpful" advice, but not only do I not have a UniBIOS in either my MVS or home system, but I was wanting to beat Fatal Fury legitimately, even if it meant using a bit of AI breaking techniques... Unfortunately I never picked up such a thing from wasting all my credits on Raiden (I'm on the home system remember, 3 credits only).

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I feel your pain. Just last night I could not get past that guy. Virtually impossible.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Have a friend play 2P and sandwich projectile spam him. The 1P + 2P vs. CPU system is unique to this first FF.

Alternatively start a 1P + 2P game, and control only 1P. If the character you control goes down, switch to 2P and see if you can finish him off.

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
From the start of the round, do a standing A (punch). He'll do poison breath. Then time either a Terry burn knuckle, Andy zaneiken, or Joe slash kick right as the poison breath is ending. Back up, do it again, and again...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
There's something about this thread that feels genuine, like a real conversation that would have happened in a school lunch room 20 years ago. I love it. BBH is clearly the cool kid.

carry on

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
From the start of the round, do a standing A (punch). He'll do poison breath. Then time either a Terry burn knuckle, Andy zaneiken, or Joe slash kick right as the poison breath is ending. Back up, do it again, and again...

That's how you trigger his poison breath? Nice, I gotta try that out whenever I get a chance to play Fatal Fury again. Thanks!

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
There's something about this thread that feels genuine, like a real conversation that would have happened in a school lunch room 20 years ago. I love it. BBH is clearly the cool kid.

carry on

cool post. thought the very same scenario...

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
... Any advice on Billy Kane?

Nevermind, found a decent way to deal with him, a mix of one of the old FAQs and my own playing. Always crouch guard, kick sometimes if he's close. Wait for him to throw his staff, then try to throw him (doesn't often work for me).

Now it's just Geese Howard, man is this guy tough. He doesn't even invoke anger in me, just shock and awe mostly. The guarding, walk forward and throw method does seem to work, but I can't often get close enough to throw, he always kicks me (which I block anyways). So far I haven't won a single round against him... I need to practice my throw more, I can't seem to figure out what the reach is with it...

Also, I've been using Terry this entire time. Maybe if I'm feeling saucy I'll try Andy or Joe, but I'd have to memorize their movesets...

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I use Joe usually, for Tung Fu Ru, you can wait for him to jump at you, block, then throw, when he starts going big, the :A: rapidly punch will get him with almost every hit if done at the right time, then he goes small again.

This above method also works well with Hwa Jai, but you dont have as much time to get it right.

With Raiden using Joe or Terry, the instant you knock him down, you have to hammer him down the second he gets up, so you want to be either flying at him with slash kick or burning knuckle as he is getting up, and it will almost certainly sit him straight back on his arse every time.

Billy can be a real pain, but he is easy when you know how, when he poll-vaults off his stick ( not full jump ), use the slide kick with Joe, then stand up and throw, he will lose his stick, and while he has no stick, you wait til the guy throws him one, and you hit him with :A: rapidly. Doesnt fail often.

Treat Geese the same as Raiden, but if he jumps, always try to block and throw if youre in close enough. Once he is down, hammer him down as he gets up with slash kick or burning knuckle.

If youre using Andy, you can kill Raiden in 3 seconds by using the :downb: :upf: :B: attack. 3 hits, and he is dead in about 3 seconds. Its a perfect counter if he does the yellow breath.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I went back and played the game again, this time I did it! I beat Geese Howard!! :D I only lost one round against him. I just used the guarding / throwing method. I don't think I ever used up any credits either.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I went back and played the game again, this time I did it! I beat Geese Howard!! :D I only lost one round against him. I just used the guarding / throwing method. I don't think I ever used up any credits either.

congrats man, awesome thread, brought up a lot of nostalgia in here

NEO-GEO man

Yeah mate, that is a perfect move in that game, works against a few different attacks.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Fake out opponents, jump in with a throw. Seriously, this just about works all the time with pretty much anybody. Especially works well with Billy and Geese for me.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Would any of you recommend playing Fatal Fury 2? I know FFS is better, but it has no story, just a lot of characters. Should I play FF2 in single player or just skip over to Fatal Fury 3 or RBFF1?

NEO-GEO man

Yes, play FF2. Its a great game, and it doesnt play exactly identical to FF Special either. There wasa huge argument about this a couple years ago, and im sticking to the opinion that FF2 is a better single player game.

You play for yourself, and you decide, then post up your opinion ;)

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Both FF2 and FFS are worth playing IMO. I miss the single player story elements of FFS but love the extra difficulty as a challenge.

NEO-GEO man

XB 74, do you drive a Falcon by any chance?? Hard top or 4 door? ;)

I agree with your opinion RE the games, and im quite interested to hear HMG's opinion if he gets into them both too...

NEO-GEO man

Yes mate figured it from the name ;) My old man had an XB Hardtop GS pack, bought it brand new ordered with a 351 instead of the 302. I remember it being sold in the mid 80s for f*** all, and yet now, being a Hardtop GS with a factory 351, wouldve been substantially more than that...

What state are you in and what part? QLD here.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Would any of you recommend playing Fatal Fury 2? I know FFS is better, but it has no story, just a lot of characters. Should I play FF2 in single player or just skip over to Fatal Fury 3 or RBFF1?
I'LL JUST REINFORCE...
what these guys already said: Yes. You should play through FF2. After you've squeezed all your enjoyments from that, move onto FFSp and appreciate all the differences (esp. gameplay) between the two. Then play FF3. Then RB1... etc (rinse & repeat).

Back to FF2 though, in *some* sentiments, I do agree with NeoGeoMan to a point about it being a better single player experience - but not really on gameplay, just on presentation and bits of bonus content (i.e. bonus stages and later cut scenes that lead up to the final battle). FFSp misses these, has a worse intro, not as cool character select, not as good vs screen etc. All superficial really, but cool to see the differences imo.

Personally, I prefer playing FF2 > FFSp myelf, but it's purely a nostalgia driven choice, not a logical one ;)

On the whole though, there's no fun to had here by skipping anything.

*same goes for any fighting game series though, imo*

**apart from SFIV and KOFXII. Redundant just isn't the word!**