Pissing my wife off the neogeo way

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I wanted to post up some pictures of what I'm calling a "low budget" CMVS Build. I want to thank Xian Xi for all the help he has given me! His expert advice and prompt replies on emails (even on weekends) has been a tremendous help!

Parts List:
MV-2 Mother board from shadowkn55, unibios 3.0 i think, recapped $165 shipped

Neobitz encoder from Jamma Nation X $95 shipped

Power adapter from ebay 3v5a

NeoGeo CD controllers x2 -$10 total! at a little game store, wish the system was there!

Misc parts
Power jack - ratshack under $5
Fuse holder - " " Under $5
5a fuse 3 pack - " " Under $5

Still needed
Power switch (Wanting wont with a color changing led in both positions)

Paint for case (More on this later)

Led to replace stock on on board (waiting on paint to decide on color.)

PCB feat to replace and the stock and fill all the holes, giggity!

Base, thinking of going crazy and finding a thin piece of granite!

Some type of LED lighting like this - thanks to kyle A on pointing me at this!

"MVS" Sticker - waiting on kenn6275 on youtube to get back to me on this one!

And without boring you anymore on to the pictures!

What she started out as

5V Mod as per JammaNationX tutorial

Mocking up the RGB Encoder

OCD Kicked in and the wires must be in order!

On to attaching the RGB to Encoder cable Following JNX guide for the MV-2

Tapping the audio ports at the un-amplified sports as in the guides final page from JNX

Took the case into work today to check on powder coating and drill holes. The guy had the nerve to get mad at me for laughing at him when he quoted me $50 for the powder!

Then I got home all excited and found this

So now I'm looking for a low cost cart to test fit and see if I need to remove the audio ports, weld the holes closed, and re-position the audio jacks.

questions, comments, self-obsessed psychotic rants?

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I personally recapped that board so it shouldn't be a question of whether it was done or not.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Sweet man! I was a little scared about it! I did look at them and it defiantly looks like they have been replaced but you know how ebay sales can go! I will edit the post!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
No need to test.

If you want to use Slot2, then either patch or plug the holes and move the audio jacks.

An MVS cart fills pretty much the entire slot section.

btw, check your drill templet and measurements again. It looks to me like you had it reversed. It looks like the 7 Hook-ups go on the other side (left side of the jamma edge connector) and the 2 Hook-ups go other side (right side of the jamma edge connector).

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Yeah, looks like the RCA audio jacks might be a little close. Regardless, nice to see a newcomer tackle a project like this.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I did switch the sides VS the guide. I prefer them up on the right and the power on the left hand side. Still thinking about where to do the power switch, not sure if I want it on the rear or the top....

EDIT: I want to add that my spacing was 3/4" between the audio and video jacks as well as the power jack and the center of the fuse holder.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I kinda like the connectors in the back too.

Never liked these on the side.

Yeah, the left side is favored because there is a bit more room on that side.

Anyways, I kinda like either the top or the front, but def. not the sides. kinda meh on the back. Never liked reaching behind something to turn it on.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Nice job. I've done the MV2 also, but I hardly ever use the second slot.

This is how I lined my connectors up. (Pre-build finalization, everything's a little more lined up now)

And my power connector, switch, and fuse:

It is a tight fit in the second slot, so if you plan on using that slot, you may have to relocate those jacks.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Very nice! I love to see that someone else is using a fuse also! I think I'm going to relocate the the audio jacks under the svideo port.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Haha I almost went there but I didnt know if it would be in bad taste. Good to know there are like minded crazies around here

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Go to chat sometime. All they do is talk about the caulk. If your head isn't in the gutter, then it doesn't belong here.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I was in there earlier and made a comment about they need to have a MVS party on the newb (me), which is similar to a blanket party but you replace the soap with MVS carts and they called me stupid one

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Nice project, looks good so far. But as everyone said, you'll have to move the audio jacks for a cart to fit in the second slot. Other than that you seem to have made good progress already, not that much left to do, just keep at it.

As to the pissed wife: Get Bust A Move or BAMA - if she likes video games at all, she'll love those and forgive you in no time.

//Edit: If you want stickers, you can also PM Jasen, who does exellent work...

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Haha my fried called me saying he saw the thread and said he cant believe no one saw the sega CD model 2 in the 2nd picture of the wires taped together poking out from under the desk!:loco:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Haha my fried called me saying he saw the thread and said he cant believe no one saw the sega CD model 2 in the 2nd picture of the wires taped together poking out from under the desk!:loco:

Only if it had been an AES.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
that what I tried telling him, everyone here is neogeo fans. I figured the website name would give it away but people these days

Terot

Kabuki Klasher
As to the pissed wife: Get Bust A Move or BAMA - if she likes video games at all, she'll love those and forgive you in no time.

That's what I did, all wives love Puzzle Bobble, she is a little less thrilled with the fact that I let our 3 year old play metal slug.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I have been trying to finish this up for over a week now! I have been trying to get a hold of VaNDAL_UK to find out where he got the push-button that he used for the power switch on his CMVS. Other then that I have the paint and gun ready to go and i'm 98% sure my audio ports will be fine where they are with a little bit of tab bending! but I cant test the freaking thing without a power button!!!!!!

Terot

Kabuki Klasher
...I cant test the freaking thing without a power button!!!!!!

That's a bitch. I would just short power-on to ground on the ATX so I could go ahead and play. Go ahead and solider the wire in place then plug it into the wall, you can cut the wire when you are finally ready to tun it off... which should be NEVER! :p

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Yeah my problem is I dont want to solder all my wires to the jacks, just to unsolder them for painting THEN have to go back and drill holes through the paint and not mess it up. Im a big believer that you mock everything up first and have it working 100%, then make it pretty. Oh well I have other projects right now like the Mini Marquees im having made up!