PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey Youtube guy, I've got your review unit right here.

ts490oe.gif

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
whats sad is people telling at youtube that this is a huge issue, without even having one and then moaning about not had received a review unit on the coments.

I can´t believe the level of some folks, world such a big place for diversity

Yeah, that is insanely frustrating. The more niche the crowd in "retro" games, the more petty and stupid the squeaky wheels are. Meanwhile, the majority are just stoked to get our hands on one. Hang in there and don't let this ruin it for you guys. This is a huge success.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Wow, so this mess was potentially caused by a few autists that complained about cable specifications WITHOUT EVEN SEEING THE DEVICE. Thanks, faggots.

Except this is totally false

The cap and resistor location has zero to do with making CSYNC work properly

They also have nothing to do with the the audio and video noise some of having.

If effects the brightness of the picture depending on the cable used. AND THAT'S IT.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Only 1 guy got a refund.

I offered him a refund cause i don´t want him as a customer anymore. It was not about the issue, it was about him (his actitude)

Its not i don´t want him as a SSDS3 customer, i don´t want him as a customer anymore and fortunally we have the right to not sell to a guy if we don´t want.
This wasn´t about him reporting an issue, we don´t ban people cause that, we ban people that lacks of education, so we offered him a ban (in a form of a refund) and he was kind enough to acept it.
So we all are more happy now. We don´t have to deal with him in the future and he will not have to read neo-geo.com forums again (this is what he said, that he was happy to not come back here)

About the issue :

We got a solution since monday,
We are working on explain it, doing videos to compare the original RGB signal and the current one.
So everyone can understands what happened from a real point, not only listening those guys pretending this is world´s end.

I just wanted to say thanks Alex. I hope that didn't come off wrong when I wrote it. I saw you took care of that guy pretty quick and he was a bit whiny too, yet I thought I saw a comment leaving it open to refund others who wanted to complain. I would imagine it's best to get rid of human garbage who can't be patient enough long enough to get a fix. It's not like you're incompetent as the Neo MVS/AES kit shows you know your stuff. The fact you're quick with figuring it out and getting out the announcement under an hour ago says a lot.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Except this is totally false

The cap and resistor location has zero to do with making CSYNC work properly

They also have nothing to do with the the audio and video noise some of having.

If effects the brightness of the picture depending on the cable used. AND THAT'S IT.

Yeah, you're right! Apparently its all about ground planes. EDIT: Still made me LOL.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Despite the unwarranted ban on my account, I was able to continue working with the TerraOnion team and I found the issue with my specific board. While I was experiencing some of the issues that are now known to be factual, there was a manufacturing defect I uncovered causing additional issues.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
If it was warranted then why wouldn't that be a rule that's posted somewhere? As well as why wasn't the person who told everyone to PM said admin banned?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If it was warranted then why wouldn't that be a rule that's posted somewhere? As well as why wasn't the person who told everyone to PM said admin banned?

OK... here's some fun facts...

1. NG.com has its own rules concerning the direct linking of Roms... Shawn our site owner and the mod team do not want unwarranted "Cease and Desist" letters... (IF YOU had read around... you'd have realised there are NO rom links besides one that is hidden away)
2. Yodd posted a direct link... and I came back as soon as I saw it... i LIKE Yodd... and so I dealt with it without fuss... (EVEN tho... Yodd knew I was taking a break)...
3. Then Yodd decided to tell everyone to PM Dredd... which essentially is a shared Admin account... (Yodd always liked to Funster)...
4. EVERYONE who knows anything about this site knows that the Dredd account is basically the discipline account and is used ONLY as such... and so for you to PM the Dredd account asking for rom links was dumb as fuck...

LOOK Mobius... I am fuckin' relaxing here... for the reasons I posted above...

You are walking a very thin line atm... just carry on posting normally... as I'm cutting you a break here...

Don't waste it...

TIKIPOD

n00b
1st post - I just wanted to say I am very excited for the SSD System 3, though I probably won't get it for a while as ordered in late December :(
I wonder if it will work with my modded PC Engine (I have a regular unmodded one too, so no problem if it doesn't). I found that the console used to get quite hot when used, due to the transistor and heatsink part on the PCB. So I removed those parts and rewired it so it now runs off an HTC Desire power supply (outputs 5v 1A).
Hopefully that's enough Amps to drive the SSDS3 too!
pcengine.jpg

neozeed64

n00b
1st post - I just wanted to say I am very excited for the SSD System 3, though I probably won't get it for a while as ordered in late December :(
I wonder if it will work with my modded PC Engine (I have a regular unmodded one too, so no problem if it doesn't). I found that the console used to get quite hot when used, due to the transistor and heatsink part on the PCB. So I removed those parts and rewired it so it now runs off an HTC Desire power supply (outputs 5v 1A).
View attachment 48524

That mod looks great, any more details?

TIKIPOD

n00b
Thanks MobiusStripTech - well from memory the transistor was outputting 5v to the mainboard before I removed it, so in theory it all should be ok then :D

And thanks neozeed64. I did the mod a while back so memory is a bit hazy, but I`ll explain what I can.
The region switch button (black) was a monster 16pole dual throw thing, not very elegant but did the job (it needed secure bracing at the far end as its pretty chunky). There is a full RGB scart socket on the side as you can see in the photo, where the old RF out used to be. Its setup to use any generic scart to scart lead, so all the extra rgb stuff is in-console. And for the powersupply, the old Japanese PSU was inputting 9v 650mA, but once it passed through the transistor with heatsink, the voltage was fed out as 5v. So I removed the heatsink and transistor, added a new fuse and wired up the regular PCE power input accordingly. I then used an HTC Desire charger (outputs 5v 1A) with a usb cable that has a PCE compatible plug on the other end (sourced from a seller on Amazon).

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Amperage won't be your problem. Voltage might depending on what is expected in the device.

It's the exact opposite. Once you've figured out the correct voltage the console is expecting to work on, you need to understand how much current it needs.

I'll take a wild guess and say the regulator was the ubiquitous 7805. If that's the case, a 1A PSU should suffice.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
It's the exact opposite. Once you've figured out the correct voltage the console is expecting to work on, you need to understand how much current it needs.

I'll take a wild guess and say the regulator was the ubiquitous 7805. If that's the case, a 1A PSU should suffice.

Actually sorry to say you are mistaken. The amperage matters yes. 1A is plenty to run the SSD3 and a PC Engine. The issue is that his console had a 7805. The 7805 takes a minimum of 7v to produce 5v. It's in the datasheet. So now that his console is running off of 5v that part is fine. However, now you have to take into consideration that the SSD3 is going to be taking power from the system. If the SSD3 is using a linear regulator similar to the 7805 and is expecting system input voltage which would be 7v or higher, generally 9v, and then again regulating it down to 5v or even 3.3v.

Now if the SSD3 is taking voltage from the 5v connection on the console, then yes, using a 5v power supply with 1A would be absolutely fine. With the SSD3 running on a PC Engine, you are only using about .34A to .40A.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
View attachment 48524

Wow, best PC-Engine mod I have never seen :eek:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Actually sorry to say you are mistaken.

No need to be sorry, we're all here to learn ;)

I see your point and it makes sense, but it seems like the SSD3 used the regulated 5V (another user confirmed it). So yeah, 1A is definitely enough juice to power both the PC Engine and the SSD3.

TIKIPOD

n00b
Thanks all for confirming about the Volts and Amps. BTW I was wondering why I cannot see the jpg I posted, is that because my account here just opened?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
9V 1A will work fine. The current is relevant - if you get a 9V 100mA PSU, it's not going to work! Both voltage and current are relevant.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
9V 1A will work fine. The current is relevant - if you get a 9V 100mA PSU, it's not going to work! Both voltage and current are relevant.

Correct both are important. My point was only that he had already stated that he had a 1A PSU, which is plenty. The only question was if the SSD3 was expecting 5v coming in from the PC Engine or if it was expecting 7v+. As long as it was expecting the regulated 5v coming in, then there was no problem with having modified the PC Engine to run off 5v.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Correct both are important. My point was only that he had already stated that he had a 1A PSU, which is plenty. The only question was if the SSD3 was expecting 5v coming in from the PC Engine or if it was expecting 7v+. As long as it was expecting the regulated 5v coming in, then there was no problem with having modified the PC Engine to run off 5v.

Good point! =D

Loukey

n00b
Thanks all for confirming about the Volts and Amps. BTW I was wondering why I cannot see the jpg I posted, is that because my account here just opened?

Makes me glad i’m Not the only one who can’t see the pics everybody is referencing. :)