Official SNK Neo-Geo Book: NEOGEO: A VISUAL HISTORY ネオジオ〜目で楽しむ軌跡〜 (Publisher Bitmap Books)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
cover's not great, yet not terrible. coulda been waaaaaaaayyy better. so close yet so far.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Definitely interested in this! Any ideas on pricing?

Google the other books Bitmap Books has published and sells and you'll get an idea about the price. Be careful though, you might end up spending some money on their other books. If you are into videogames they have published some awesome books.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Does anyone actually like the cover? I've maybe seen one positive comment so far on here. What is the feedback like on facebook? I don't have an account so can't check unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Does anyone actually like the cover? I've maybe seen one positive comment so far on here. What is the feedback like on facebook? I don't have an account so can't check unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

A few people claimed to like it on facebook. But I think they missed the point.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Niko started a post on NGFL. Here's the comments - separate line for each comment:

Meh

Not the best cover imo for such a great console.

The french book was much much better. This book will be the neogeo x of books hahaha

The cover would be great, if the book was about King of Fighters, Shinkiro, or even just an artbook.

Maybe have the Neo Geo cab and or AES console on the cover. Hell, I'd even prefer their logo

"SNK the future is now" in gold with a black background and the title of the book would be nice.
Or a picture with all the characters.��

You ever hear the phrase 'don't judge a book by its cover'? Actually I am going to judge this one on its cover - it's going to be fantastic :-) what Neo fan doesn't like the artwork of Shinkiro? Beautiful. Definitely going on my coffee table.

The cover will be KOF 94? Start of the biggest series on NeoGeo. Why not ��

I love the cover personally - KOF is the most popular series, one of the reasons Neo was so popular in Japan and includes characters from all different games! Plus that artwork is bloody brilliant and really iconic.

Hope they change the cover, that one looks like a cheap 90's magazine.

I will tell everyone to boycot this book because it was the lowest of the lowest what Snk did to those french guys. Their book was gonna be awesome!

It's 2 of SNK's biggest mascots (and their sidekicks) staring each other down. I'm happy.

frazer99

20 Year Member
Apologies if I'm repeating myself with this post but just to clarify…

We’ve been working on the book for over a year now. Was the cover a last minute choice? Absolutely not. In terms of some of the comments posted:

1. We approached SNK for a unique piece for the cover of the book. They declined.

2. Did we consider both a simple gold logo with a black background – yes that’s what we started with (read on…)

3. Did we consider a collage of a number of images – yes we did (read on…)

This book is unlike any of the other Bitmap Books - it is fully licensed so everything needs to approved by SNK. This is not as straight forward as you would expect.

There is also a royalty to pay to SNK again something that sets this apart from any other Bitmap book.

I noted references to the Super Famicom book. This book was Stuart Brett’s book albeit published by BB. The design was Stuarts. Other Bitmap Books have used the multiple smaller images like the visual compendiums but have done so because the books are not licenced and with that approach, BB can just about push the boundary of acceptable use.

BB are known for their art books. The NeoGeo book will feature concept art, box art, pixel art, advertising designs and large images of superb quality – an early title was the Art of the NeoGeo. For the first time BB have been able to lead with an image on the front cover.

A number of designs were considered but KoF was chosen for a number of reasons including–

1. It’s the most famous SNK series and one that still continues (important for SNK to demonstrate they are also about the future not just the past.
2. KoF brought together a number of SNK franchises
3. KoF94 was the game that started off the series.
4. King of Fighters has also featured some of Shinkro’s finest artwork and it was felt that it would be fitting to feature one of his works on the cover. Sure, there are other KoF images but after testing various images BB felt KoF 94 fitted the bill.

The size/potential of the market has been weighed up by BB. Given the fact BB have funded the book entirely and a royalty is due, BB do need the book to have as wider appeal as possible. If the book was just targeted at the hardcore NeoGeo community then absolutely a dark cover with gold logo would be an obvious choice.

I’ll admit that’s where I started and it was the option I supported. But…. we have to appreciate it’s a commercial project and I understand the need for the book to have wider appeal. Sam at BB admits he doesn’t read forums, he tends to trust his own instincts and judgement. At the end of the day he’s got far more experience designing and selling books than the vast majority of us I would expect.

Taking a step back I can completely understand the rationale for the approach taken. The standard book will purely be the book – no slip case. This is the version which is likely to be bought by a significant number of previous BB customers and those who might be into retro gaming, maybe heard of the NeoGeo/maybe not.

The Collectors Editions will come with a slip case and other extras. I’m sure Bitmap Books will be able to reveal this in the next couple of weeks. There are some nice design touches that will be revealed in due course but I’m sure those will be appreciated.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
A book cover can be fairly judged by :
- some one expecting nothing, looking at the object for the first time.
- someone expecting a lot, having looked at the object for days/weeks.

Though only time will tell, I'm pretty confident this is a good choice.
Thumb up for standing still against the tide.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

We’ve been working on the book for over a year now. Was the cover a last minute choice? Absolutely not. In terms of some of the comments posted:

1. We approached SNK for a unique piece for the cover of the book. They declined.

2. Did we consider both a simple gold logo with a black background – yes that’s what we started with (read on…)

This book is unlike any of the other Bitmap Books - it is fully licensed so everything needs to approved by SNK. This is not as straight forward as you would expect.

There is also a royalty to pay to SNK again something that sets this apart from any other Bitmap book.

I noted references to the Super Famicom book. This book was Stuart Brett’s book albeit published by BB. The design was Stuarts. Other Bitmap Books have used the multiple smaller images like the visual compendiums but have done so because the books are not licenced and with that approach, BB can just about push the boundary of acceptable use.

BB are known for their art books. The NeoGeo book will feature concept art, box art, pixel art, advertising designs and large images of superb quality – an early title was the Art of the NeoGeo. For the first time BB have been able to lead with an image on the front cover.

A number of designs were considered but KoF was chosen for a number of reasons including–

1. It’s the most famous SNK series and one that still continues (important for SNK to demonstrate they are also about the future not just the past.
4. King of Fighters has also featured some of Shinkro’s finest artwork and it was felt that it would be fitting to feature one of his works on the cover. Sure, there are other KoF images but after testing various images BB felt KoF 94 fitted the bill.

The size/potential of the market has been weighed up by BB. Given the fact BB have funded the book entirely and a royalty is due, BB do need the book to have as wider appeal as possible. If the book was just targeted at the hardcore NeoGeo community then absolutely a dark cover with gold logo would be an obvious choice.

I’ll admit that’s where I started and it was the option I supported. But…. we have to appreciate it’s a commercial project and I understand the need for the book to have wider appeal. Sam at BB admits he doesn’t read forums, he tends to trust his own instincts and judgement. At the end of the day he’s got far more experience designing and selling books than the vast majority of us I would expect.

Taking a step back I can completely understand the rationale for the approach taken. The standard book will purely be the book – no slip case. This is the version which is likely to be bought by a significant number of previous BB customers and those who might be into retro gaming, maybe heard of the NeoGeo/maybe not.

The Collectors Editions will come with a slip case and other extras. I’m sure Bitmap Books will be able to reveal this in the next couple of weeks. There are some nice design touches that will be revealed in due course but I’m sure those will be appreciated.

So here is what I'm getting out of this.

1.) SNK didnt want to provide original art
2.) BB funded and BB wanted cover art to attract future customers
3.) You guys choose KOF94 cover art for the above mentioned reasons.

I still think KOF94 is a bad choice, and isnt going to have the "wider appeal" you think it will. We can gauge that on the feedback from the Neo community alone, whom of which already see SNK/Neo through rose-colored glasses.

If SNK didnt want to provide original artwork, why not reach out to the community? There are tons of talented people who could do an amazing job, and woiuld probably do it just for the recognition.

I guess at the end of the day, you'll never be able to make everyone happy. If the cover is the worst part about this book, I think it'll be ok.

Last edited:

frazer99

20 Year Member
If SNK didnt want to provide original artwork, why not reach out to the community? There are tons of talented people who could do an amazing job, and woiuld probably do it just for the recognition.

We considered this option too but think about that for second - wouldn't it seem a little odd for an SNK book to feature art which isn't by an SNK artist when the book is full of SNK art, some previously published and others never seen before. I get what you're saying and it has been thought about but id say that's a fairly big blocker.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
We considered this option too but think about that for second - wouldn't it seem a little odd for an SNK book to feature art which isn't by an SNK artist when the book is full of SNK art, some previously published and others never seen before. I get what you're saying and it has been thought about but id say that's a fairly big blocker.

I understand the logic behind it, but speaking only to my opinion, it wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it looks good. You could also say that this book is being made because of fans, and therefore its not wrong for them to have a respresentation artistically.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
POLL!

For New cover art:

Photo17-11-2014210203_zpscaa026a3.jpg

OR...

RotBuddha.jpg

xROTx

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I think i like the first one a little more, Rot.

Although, the 2nd has AES, and some NGPC in the background, so really you can't loose either way.

Whichever shuts off the fucking whining, I'm all for.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The best thing is...

I won't demand Royalty payments for use of these pics....

Think on it Fraser...

xROTx

PS. Where is my signed book man:D

frazer99

20 Year Member
You've gone and spoiled the surprise for the centre fold now Rot.

The signed copy, yes we are still on for that. One of the super-special one's yeah.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Thanks for providing the back story on this and the reasons for your decision. I can understand what you have said and agree that this is a different set of circumstances than previous BB offerings. Regardless of whether I like the cover or not, I'm sure the end product will be of high quality, although I do have my fingers crossed the limited edition sleeve will "deliver" where the current cover has not.

I think it is very hard to overlook all the negative comments posted by enthusiasts, when the main market for this book will be enthusiasts.

I look forward to getting my pre-order locked in regardless of the cover choice.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Not a fan of the cover either (looks like a KOF book and not a NeoGeo one...), but not too worried about it since it basically will be hidden when stored on my shelf. More concerned about the text since, judging from the sample pages, it seems to be scarce. My biggest complaint about the SNES one was precisely how uninteresting, dull and uninformative the text was, even I found it visually gorgeous. Here hoping this one offers more than pretty pictures and illustrations (which already look great). Will keep an eye on the preorders!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
index_zpsneeah8hr.jpeg

xROTx

PS. The Cover Art is theirs... who cares... I aint all that fussed... I care about the content;)

Fygee

20 Year Member
Graduate Rot? Yes.

Nipple clamp Rot? .....dubious.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
index_zpsneeah8hr.jpeg

xROTx

PS. The Cover Art is theirs... who cares... I aint all that fussed... I care about the content;)

That tie is more offensive than your bald nut sack Rotty pal.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
For the pic, he diliberately moved the tie over to showcase its' glory. Well done.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Per Bitmap Books on Facebook, the pre-orders will open up on June 5th, 7AM BST. Oda shared it on his page as well.