Official SNK Neo-Geo Book: NEOGEO: A VISUAL HISTORY ネオジオ〜目で楽しむ軌跡〜 (Publisher Bitmap Books)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
It most definitely won't prevent me from purchasing this book, but I agree that the cover should be changed.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Further teaser images and notification opt in list:

Photo_zpsf2jhuyk3.jpg

New concept art for Terry Bogard & Duck King? THAT'S the kind of content I want to see. Psyched to get this book.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Further teaser images and notification opt in list:

Photo_zpsf2jhuyk3.jpg

Looks superb apart from "that magazine cover" That has really got to go. Otherwise this is going to be fantastic.

Is there any update on whether or not that cover is being changed?

I will be pre-ordering as soon as it's open.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Looks superb apart from "that magazine cover" That has really got to go. Otherwise this is going to be fantastic.

Is there any update on whether or not that cover is being changed?

I will be pre-ordering as soon as it's open.

No plans to change the cover.

You guys should seriously do something about the front cover before it goes to print.

Listen to the community on this one.

6 or 7 people on this forum/thread who don't like the cover is not representative of the NeoGeo community.

You've also not seen the full package yet.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
For all those who don't like the cover, please remind there will be a slipcover available, different style, basically giving two options!

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper

6 or 7 people on this forum/thread who don't like the cover is not representative of the NeoGeo community.

I wasn't trying to be a naysayer earlier with my cover comment. My apologies if it came across that way. Again, Shinkirou's illistration for KOF '94 is easily one of my favorites. When my friend got this game in late '94 I used to stare at it a lot. Shinkirou creates amazing work in both concept and execution. Definitely happy to have this as the cover. Was just curious about other ideas.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Right, I get that. But only the people who follow this thread are going to see it anyway. Also, the 6 or 7 people who mentioned their distaste for it make up over ~70% of the cover comments in general.

You could always try reaching out, to get the opinion that better represents the neo community.

There is a reason none of the other console books used the artwork of one game as the front cover. Not everyone who buys the book will like that game. However they all have a common interest in the system itself. This is why I suggested a collage or others suggested just the gold Neo logo.

Last edited:

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
I wasn't trying to be a naysayer earlier with my cover comment. My apologies if it came across that way. Again, Shinkirou's illistration for KOF '94 is easily one of my favorites. When my friend got this game in late '94 I used to stare at it a lot. Shinkirou creates amazing work in both concept and execution. Definitely happy to have this as the cover. Was just curious about other ideas.

Right, I get that. But only the people who follow this thread are going to see it anyway. Also, the 6 or 7 people who mentioned their distaste for it make up over ~70% of the cover comments in general.

You could always try reaching out, to get the opinion that better represents the neo community.

There is a reason none of the other console books used the artwork of one game as the front cover. Not everyone who buys the book will like that game. However they all have a common interest in the system itself. This is why I suggested a collage or others suggested just the gold Neo logo.

No worries Kronos/Niko. Let me update you tomorrow. There's a far back story to the journey with the cover and rationale for the approach taken. There's also far more planned for the promotion of the book. The mailing list for Bitmap Books will be considerable plus there's the SNK promotion (more on that in due course). Facebook and Twitter plus existing Bitmap Books customers have provided more feedback than the thread here currently.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

IMO, a more probable reason is that they do not own copyright for any of those games illustration, so they have to fall back to generic/partial console sketches... just saying.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
This cover is not something I'd leave on my coffee table for my guests to see

Agreed.

The Neo Geo was/is about class, which this cover doesn't represent.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing the final product!

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
No worries Kronos/Niko. Let me update you tomorrow. There's a far back story to the journey with the cover and rationale for the approach taken. There's also far more planned for the promotion of the book. The mailing list for Bitmap Books will be considerable plus there's the SNK promotion (more on that in due course). Facebook and Twitter plus existing Bitmap Books customers have provided more feedback than the thread here currently.

Ok, well I look forward to the update to get more information, but how about you do a poll on this and see how many people actually like it? I'm betting I know what the result will be. For me, I see that there's a strong dislike for it from most people here. I'm not saying for a second that you can please everyone, as you never will. I'm just trying to be constructive and honest.
There may be a sleeve but having a single game represent is a bad idea IMO. It would be like sticking Sonic on the cover of that MD book, it would look far less classy than it currently does, and I would be far less likely to buy it. But if that Mario & Sonic-esque style of branding is what you're aiming for, then that's a different story. If that is what you are aiming for, then I do see where you are going with this. I just don't think that is what all us Neo Geo fans were hoping for.

Don't get me wrong... I will support the project regardless of this decision, as I think it is great to see the community engaged and hands-on in this product. All this aside... that does not mean I won't cringe every time I look at that cover, if it comes to pass :eek:

I can't see myself putting it on my coffee table with that cover in all honesty. It would be restricted to a bookshelf where only the spine is visible. Having looked at the other bitmap books offerings, I still hold out some hope. If there is a sleeve with something classier to cover it up, maybe as a limited edition package, then maybe that might work better, and everyone will be happy! For example.. that Super Famicom BoxArt collection book has a lovely black and gold cover. I look forward to seeing the full package.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Put myself down for notification on pre-order.

Love the teaser!

+1 on a different cover - it's a bit dramatic.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Did not check on Twitter, however on Facebook as well as here I usually see a majority of negative feedback about the cover.
Can't really grasp why they would move toward this style, especially considering what the other Bitmap books look like.

I suppose they thought that those who complain here, will buy the book anyway, while other people would need something more recognizable to pick interest in the book.
That train of thoughts seem kinda flawed to me however. I'm pretty confident that whoever recognizes one of those 6 characters, will recognize the Neo Geo logo as well. Also, is not like everyone is a kof addict. Metal Slug is a huge franchise as well and there are people that got acquainted with the Neo due to that IP, Puzzle Bobble (although not an SNK IP), Windjammer or one of the many soccer games.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
This cover is not something I'd leave on my coffee table for my guests to see

I feel the same way. I wouldn't mind havIng it in my game room, but not in the living room. A simple cover would look much more at home on a coffee table in the living room.

Although, I do feel people who see the cover will say to themselves, "What do we have here?" And will check out what the book is all about.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
+1 on changing that cover. Something more esthetically pleasing to the eye would sell more.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Don't really have a problem with the 94 cover, those characters are iconic! Will there be a slipcase included? If the content inside the book is top quality then I don't see the problem ya shelfqueens

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Don't really have a problem with the 94 cover, those characters are iconic! Will there be a slipcase included? If the content inside the book is top quality then I don't see the problem ya shelfqueens

lol if it was on the shelf, you wouldnt be able to see the cover right?

While I agree KOF is iconic, and personally my favorite franchise on the system. I dont think it represents what the book is about, its not about just KOF, or just SNK artwork. To me the cover feels rushed, like they just decided to slap the KOF94 cover art on the book so they could be done with it. I'm sure thats not the case, but its hard to deny that it doesnt look sloppy.

beecee

n00b
the SFC and MD books have great designs, seems strange to then go for a game cover for this.

if the spine is nice then ok, and once open it you dont see the cover, but to have one particular genre on the cover is not a great idea, the Neo Geo is not just about those series of games.

but might be tempted with it, but will wait for reviews

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Well, you don't judge a book by its cover... however, I, personally, don't like it. I'd have prefered to have seen a more understated cover, a black background with a nicely embossed SNK logo-type in the corporate blue maybe.