Number of carts sold by SNK?

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Makes sense. I would love to hear from someone who was actually purchasing them during that time. Another thing easily forgotten is we were all just experiencing 3D for the first time around then, guess a lot of people barked at spending $300+ on a 2D shoot 'em up or golf game.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Wouldn't be hard to find someone like that around here, just ask. Of course, some are a little nutty like old war veterans.

Yeah, PlayStation making games more affordable made even the N64 a luxury. A lot of people balked at $300+ crusty old arcade games.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Makes sense. I would love to hear from someone who was actually purchasing them during that time. Another thing easily forgotten is we were all just experiencing 3D for the first time around then, guess a lot of people barked at spending $300+ on a 2D shoot 'em up or golf game.

You have not lived until you've played Neo Turf Masters.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Except ZOMG3DGRAPHICS. That was video gaming in 1995, all thanks to the PlayStation.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
They're still AES carts. Or are we only counting legit copies?

Everyone actually has conversions (made by SNK).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Everyone actually has conversions (made by SNK).
TRUE! MVS 4 life, suckers.

most people around here think NGF is a dirty word.
It is.

First, you forget 1996 was the beginning of the dark ages for SNK, which started when Neo Geo CD bombed. SNK suffered a lot of losses from NGCD, thus they had to downsize their AES production. Thus, titles like Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters had low production runs. In fact, pretty much everything but KOF had lower print runs on AES after 1995. It got worse in fact, in 1997 the AES console ended production because of the Hyper 64 selling poorly. The final nails in the coffin were the Neo Geo Pocket Color and arcade market failing, then Aruze bought SNK Corp.

Also, remember that both AES and MVS use the exact same Mask ROMs. Keep in mind, Mask ROMs are only cheap in mass quantities. SNK would therefore have made one big order of Mask ROMs and split that number between AES and MVS. Sales were much more reliable on MVS, so that's where all the Metal Slugs and Neo Turf Masters went. The same concept applies to USA, EUR and JPN regions. It's all just paper, so splitting up copies between regions was a matter of how healthy the markets were.
Who would've thought there would be a time worthy contribution in this thread? I didn't. Thx.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Except ZOMG3DGRAPHICS. That was video gaming in 1995, all thanks to the PlayStation.
Not really.

Arcade games got the ball rolling long before Sony hit a home run. SEGA didn't want to put dints in their superior arcade market at the time, so released a piece of hardware still centric towards doing arcade perfect 2D gaming at home, whilst keeping the next gen 3D arcades, firmly in the arcade (re: revenue).

If they had just gone with a different angle and actually designed hardware specifically designed to drive full on 3D quality at home, as opposed to bolting a last minute processor configuration into the Saturn in sheer panic at what Sony 'were about to do', then you could very well have been holding SEGA accountable instead.

Sony just took the ball and ran where everyone else wanted to be anyway. SEGA just fumbled with the 32-X and Saturn when, in truth, it should have been them that were ahead of the curve.

So much easier to shape "Playstation" into a villain though. No doubt Atari felt the same when Nintendo & SEGA finally came along...

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Alot.

I don't know about AES cart runs.

But MVS cart runs start at 00001, so just start looking for the Highest serial number you can find.

^

this.

It would give you an idea. The serial on US/English MVS carts is up to 6 figures so some releases would be up to 6 figures depending on success.

Some region specific games seem to be at the 1000 mark, like Pleasuregoal, which irrc was released in Italy only

Also worth looking at Jame's (Xian Xi) website to see current serials registered;

http://www.neocartman.com/

You could then do some maths :D

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Wouldn't be hard to find someone like that around here, just ask. Of course, some are a little nutty like old war veterans.

Yeah, PlayStation making games more affordable made even the N64 a luxury. A lot of people balked at $300+ crusty old arcade games.

Heh, maybe someone will step out of the shadows and reply, I'm sure some of those guys are still around.

shadowkn55 said:
You have not lived until you've played Neo Turf Masters.

Agreed, one of the best games on the system, and that says a lot.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Truthfully these numbers are moot, think of all the games that have been destroyed from age or conversions.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Basically you can only use the price as orientation of how many games were made, for the AES its especially easy to assume it. According to the german Maniac magazine which i have an issue, it states that except for the launch tiles and every KoF game (tough i think 2003&2002 are exceptions) no Neo Geo AES game was produced over 10 thousand times.

http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=156
And this issue of an old german magazine says that Viewpoint was very less produced because of a Beef between Sammy and SNK. Both leading arcade companies at the time and still today and makes sense Viewpoint is the only early neo geo AES game that is expensive.
It says that 4000 copies of this game were mvs, 3000 were japanese aes and 1000 were american aes. But i think 4000 MVS copies overall is a mistake by them because viewpoint on the MVS is much cheaper than japanese AES copies so i think these 4000 are euro/american MVS copies.

So if you look at AES prices you can say everything what costs you 300€ is produced at least 3000 times because 300€ is at least what viewpoint JAP is going for. Everything above goes to 1000 or less, and everything under 100€ was produced over 10 thousand times, yes you can still find JAP KoF 0/01 for that price if seller is not asshole

Last edited:

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Basically you can only use the price as orientation of how many games were made, for the AES its especially easy to assume it. According to the german Maniac magazine which i have an issue, it states that except for the launch tiles and every KoF game (tough i think 2003&2002 are exceptions) no Neo Geo AES game was produced over 10 thousand times.

http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=156
And this issue of an old german magazine says that Viewpoint was very less produced because of a Beef between Sammy and SNK. Both leading arcade companies at the time and still today and makes sense Viewpoint is the only early neo geo AES game that is expensive.
It says that 4000 copies of this game were mvs, 3000 were japanese aes and 1000 were american aes. But i think 4000 MVS copies overall is a mistake by them because viewpoint on the MVS is much cheaper than japanese AES copies so i think these 4000 are euro/american MVS copies.

So if you look at AES prices you can say everything what costs you 300€ is produced at least 3000 times because 300€ is at least what viewpoint JAP is going for. Everything above goes to 1000 or less, and everything under 100€ was produced over 10 thousand times, yes you can still find JAP KoF 0/01 for that price if seller is not asshole

what about the samsho series?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If Viewpoint were less produced because of legal battle, it wouldn't make sense that its gotten so many ports on Genesis, Playstation, FM Towns, etc.