Number of carts sold by SNK?

LlorensBlood

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello, I would like to answer you if it's possible to know how many AES or MVS carts were sold by SNK. I suppose you have told about it in this great forum, but it has been impossible for me to find info related to this question.

We know (or imagine) that SNK sales has been pour in comparison with other companies, like Nintendo or Sony, of course. However it would be interesting to know how many FF were sold, or how many Over Top we can find nowadays, for example.

Is there an official report related to MVS, AES ... sales?

Thanks!

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hello, I would like to answer you if it's possible to know how many AES or MVS carts were sold by SNK. I suppose you have told about it in this great forum, but it has been impossible for me to find info related to this question.

We know (or imagine) that SNK sales has been pour in comparison with other companies, like Nintendo or Sony, of course. However it would be interesting to know how many FF were sold, or how many Over Top we can find nowadays, for example.

Is there an official report related to MVS, AES ... sales?

Thanks!

I believe SNK never released that info.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The one game I really do not understand is Metal Slug 1. Did it not take off in the arcades immediately? I just wonder if it was popular in the beginning why SNK wouldn't print more AES copies. But I guess who's to say they didn't. Or maybe the demand just wasn't there until after it was too late, but considering its continued popularity I'm surprised it (and also MS2 & MSX) is quite so rare. Maybe more copies are around they people realize, and the owners don't want to let them go. *shrugs*

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
First, you forget 1996 was the beginning of the dark ages for SNK, which started when Neo Geo CD bombed. SNK suffered a lot of losses from NGCD, thus they had to downsize their AES production. Thus, titles like Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters had low production runs. In fact, pretty much everything but KOF had lower print runs on AES after 1995. It got worse in fact, in 1997 the AES console ended production because of the Hyper 64 selling poorly. The final nails in the coffin were the Neo Geo Pocket Color and arcade market failing, then Aruze bought SNK Corp.

Also, remember that both AES and MVS use the exact same Mask ROMs. Keep in mind, Mask ROMs are only cheap in mass quantities. SNK would therefore have made one big order of Mask ROMs and split that number between AES and MVS. Sales were much more reliable on MVS, so that's where all the Metal Slugs and Neo Turf Masters went. The same concept applies to USA, EUR and JPN regions. It's all just paper, so splitting up copies between regions was a matter of how healthy the markets were.

Taking that all into consideration, it's easy to understand why JPN Metal Slug 1 is rare and USA Metal Slug 1 is almost non-existent.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
First, you forget 1996 was the beginning of the dark ages for SNK, which started when Neo Geo CD bombed. SNK suffered a lot of losses from NGCD, thus they had to downsize their AES production. Thus, titles like Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters had low production runs. In fact, pretty much everything but KOF had lower print runs on AES after 1995. It got worse in fact, in 1997 the AES console ended production because of the Hyper 64 selling poorly. The final nails in the coffin were the Neo Geo Pocket Color and arcade market failing, then Aruze bought SNK Corp.

Also, remember that both AES and MVS use the exact same Mask ROMs. Keep in mind, Mask ROMs are only cheap in mass quantities. SNK would therefore have made one big order of Mask ROMs and split that number between AES and MVS. Sales were much more reliable on MVS, so that's where all the Metal Slugs and Neo Turf Masters went. The same concept applies to USA, EUR and JPN regions. It's all just paper, so splitting up copies between regions was a matter of how healthy the markets were.

Taking that all into consideration, it's easy to understand why JPN Metal Slug 1 is rare and USA Metal Slug 1 is almost non-existent.

:thevt:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have 13 AES carts. So they made at least 13...hope that helps haha

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Ha, that makes me laugh. The irony is so thick you could cut it with a butter knife.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Alot.

I don't know about AES cart runs.

But MVS cart runs start at 00001, so just start looking for the Highest serial number you can find.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I wouldn't expect dogs to know what their own shit smells like, your point?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I wouldn't expect dogs to know what their own shit smells like, your point?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

PS: They totally know what their own piss and shit smells like, otherwise they wouldn't know the extent of their territory.

OOOOO SICK BURN YOU AREN'T THE SMARTEST GUY ON THE FORUMS ANYMORE!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You should know first hand, you smell a lot of piss and shit around here. :keke: lol indeed

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

Thanks, that does cover some ground that I wasn't taking into consideration. The market split makes since as well, as I'm sure they market for arcades was not dying in Japan quite as quickly as the US, thus increasing home cart demand over there compared to North America. And yea, makes perfect sense operators would get preference. Were home carts still being advertised at that time? (1996) Or was ordering home carts just seeing a game in the arcades and calling SNK up to see if they had any in stock? It is easy to forget about the investment SNK put into the cd

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Most people from that time say you pretty much depended on mail order to get any new AES games. NGF did actually distribute AES games after SNK closed their USA doors, so you could have certainly bought new titles through them, though most people around here think NGF is a dirty word.