NOOB question / AES alt. romsets

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes I have a noobish question, I can't believe it either.

I've recently reacquired a Burning Fight home cart.

Instantly I've noticed that it doesn't give you an "Easy, Normal, MVS, Hard" difficulty setting screen.

So the silly question is, is the game (and other titles lacking the difficulty setting) running in MVS difficulty?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't know the answer, but if you have a unibios and go into the softdips you can turn the Level Display On and boot into home cart mode and in most games it will display the level. A lot of games default to level 3, I think Nam is actually set to 6 or something.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't know the answer, but if you have a unibios and go into the softdips you can turn the Level Display On and boot into home cart mode and in most games it will display the level. A lot of games default to level 3, I think Nam is actually set to 6 or something.

My system is stock.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
OBJECTION! Get a unibios!

Maybe someone else can do what I mentioned above. I don't have a copy of Burning Fight anymore.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I thought all games (when they're run in AES mode) give you that screen where you select difficulty.
AES games often default to Normal (on the difficulty select menu screen), not MVS, unless you change it to something different. Normal is equivalent to about 3, and MVS usually equivalent to 4.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Having unibios still seems very unnecessary to me.

Hey Joe8, it seems like the information I linked in that thread suggests otherwise, but I don't really know for sure.

If these early games with an alternate ROM set all ran in "normal" by default, it would appear that SNK's original marketing gimmick of having the exact arcade experience at home would have not been realized.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Having unibios still seems very unnecessary to me.

Hey Joe8, it seems like the information I linked in that thread suggests otherwise, but I don't really know for sure.

If these early games with an alternate ROM set all ran in "normal" by default, it would appear that SNK's original marketing gimmick of having the exact arcade experience at home would have not been realized.
Looks like you're right, there might be different ROM sets for Burning Fight AES.
Maybe your AES copy is one of the earlier rental versions.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Looks like you're right, there might be different ROM sets for Burning Fight AES.
Maybe your AES copy is one of the earlier rental versions.

Dude, just shut the fuck up. You never know what you're talking about.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

I don't normally ask for things on my birthday, but man I should've asked VT to ban joe8 for like a month. Missed opportunity. :(

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Maybe he got dropped on the head as a baby?

One can only hope there's an excuse somewhere.

EDIT:

@Pandarr: I would say "shame on you" for not requesting birthday bannings, but I <3 you too much. BFF.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
what was untrue about my post? I was just getting the info from the other thread. There were early "rental" versions of those AES games, apparently.
if you're going to call me out on a mistake, then you should correct it.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
cmon we all know unibios is for us cheaters, and Andsuch is a gaming god who needs no cheats. ;)

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
what was untrue about my post? I was just getting the info from the other thread. There were early "rental" versions of those AES games, apparently.
if you're going to call me out on a mistake, then you should correct it.

Your mistake was sharing your worthless speculation.

Happy now? Go put another shrimp on the barbie and then fuck right off, cunt.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey Beff, don't hog all the haterade, save some for me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Mugi stop. I am King Of Scrub. Nothing more.

Anyways, is there anyone who has some info regarding the original post?

Have all of the omnipotent wise ones really fled for greener pastures?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Everyone is at the videogapeX liquidation sale.

I'm not big-time enough for AES but on MVS unibios is mandatory if for no reason other than being able to pause Turf Masters to grab another beer.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I have Unibios, primarily, for region switching. I rarely touch the codes etc.

But when I do, it's usually for infinite spirit/chi for P1 & P2 in AOF titles.

I'm really not into that spirit bar exhaustion shit. Otherwise, I'd happily not have the codes/cheats at all/ I just like the multi-region functionality...

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
There are indeed 2 romsets for Burning Fight in mame. One is Burning Fight (set 1) with a filename of burningf.zip and the other is Burning Fight (set 2) with a filename of burningfh.zip. Set 2 has difficulty selection in AES mode while set 1 does not.

Unfortunately, there's no level display setting in Burning Fight's softdip settings. The question of set 1's difficulty in home mode can't be answered :P .