No Man's Sky (PS4)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I've barely played it due to how "laggy" it runs on my system(known issue apparently for PC users). From what I can tell though, that looks to be about it.

you're missing all the stuff with the aliens if you are only crafting and landing in random places.

also- if you have a ps4 - just get that version. the pc version seems to be a mess everywhere. ps4 version works perfectly.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
regarding the PC version (cliff notes):

this game is extremely demanding. I tested it with a GTX 1080 and GTX 980 ti, its a little bit choppy on the 980 ti, plays better on the 1080. It's not optimized, it needs updates.

gameplay:

its a single player planetary & space exploration game. you have to gather materials & create your supplies to fly to and from planets and space stations. the space stations serve as hubs for the "intergalactic marketplace" where you can buy and sell items, which you have to do to clear your inventory (it fills up fast). You also run into random space travelers who buy and sell materials & even spacecraft.

the various NPC beings speak alien languages which are incomprehensible until later in the game after you acquire language data I guess from the various monoliths and cargo drops you find randomly on the planets you explore. There is a story-line & history of the civilizations populating the star systems you find yourself in.

on the planets you explore you scan the terrain and analyze the various fauna/flora you come across like naturalist catalogs plants & insects. you can interact with the world collecting materials & feeding the wildlife who in turn lead you to hard to find materials..

I'm about 3 hours in..

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Damn I want this game.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
really really enjoying this game, gonna try to get it running in the VIVE tommorow

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
^^Video removed by the user.

What did I miss again?

Jon

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
on the planets you explore you scan the terrain and analyze the various fauna/flora you come across like naturalist catalogs plants & insects.

You need the scanner on your multitool for this. If you trade in to another multitool, you need to make sure the scanner is there, or make a new one. You can probably save yourself some time and not bother scanning rocks and plants. I gave up on that. All the things you need to scan for a planet is animals. I've already encountered 1 planet where there was 3 things left to find and I couldn't find anything. Some planets do not even have any animals, but these usually have a ton of resources.

The game certainly gets better as time goes on. I hate these comments people complaining that it takes to long for the game to be good. IDK man, it seems pretty good from the beginning. After you make a couple warps, you will find new things when you scan a system. Go to these places and you'll be on your way to finding new stuff. I just got the Atlas v1 pass, the thing you need to open containers. Not yet the one to open doors. But I am not in a big rush to get to the center of the galaxy, or get the Atlas v2 pass or whatever.

Regarding combat, basically there is no real reason to use anything but the mining laser. For ground combat (you need some multitool mods for this, including rail adapter). And for space combat, the mining laser will lock onto an attacking ship where the regular weapons won't. So if you don't have good controls for space combat, you won't be able to hit anything.

It turns out the planets are fully deformable, akin to GeoMod from Red Faction. You can use grenades or a mod for mining laser to dig your own holes/tunnels. I can't wait for someone to see if they can "dig to china" on a planet or moon.

Planets can (at times) seem like they are small, but they certainly are not. I got a waypoint for something on the other side of the planet. It took 3 hours to fly there, with stops in between. It may make more sense to fly up into orbit to get to a far away waypoint.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
You need the scanner on your multitool for this. If you trade in to another multitool, you need to make sure the scanner is there, or make a new one. You can probably save yourself some time and not bother scanning rocks and plants. I gave up on that. All the things you need to scan for a planet is animals. I've already encountered 1 planet where there was 3 things left to find and I couldn't find anything. Some planets do not even have any animals, but these usually have a ton of resources.

The game certainly gets better as time goes on. I hate these comments people complaining that it takes to long for the game to be good. IDK man, it seems pretty good from the beginning. After you make a couple warps, you will find new things when you scan a system. Go to these places and you'll be on your way to finding new stuff. I just got the Atlas v1 pass, the thing you need to open containers. Not yet the one to open doors. But I am not in a big rush to get to the center of the galaxy, or get the Atlas v2 pass or whatever.

Regarding combat, basically there is no real reason to use anything but the mining laser. For ground combat (you need some multitool mods for this, including rail adapter). And for space combat, the mining laser will lock onto an attacking ship where the regular weapons won't. So if you don't have good controls for space combat, you won't be able to hit anything.

It turns out the planets are fully deformable, akin to GeoMod from Red Faction. You can use grenades or a mod for mining laser to dig your own holes/tunnels. I can't wait for someone to see if they can "dig to china" on a planet or moon.

Planets can (at times) seem like they are small, but they certainly are not. I got a waypoint for something on the other side of the planet. It took 3 hours to fly there, with stops in between. It may make more sense to fly up into orbit to get to a far away waypoint.

i encountered a couple of armored predators where the mining laser wouldnt cut it. thats why i leave the bolt caster option loaded up there too. also helps if the sentinels are on you for quick disposal.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm thinking about getting a PS4 for this game. Buy now or wait till ppl dump their old PS4s for the Neo?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
go for it, ps4 is right format for this

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Buy a PS4 for what should be a $20-30 game?
nope. this game really isn't worth it. There are so many better options now and in the near future. Dont' settle for a substandard space sim with funky colors.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Buy a PS4 for what should be a $20-30 game?
nope. this game really isn't worth it. There are so many better options now and in the near future. Dont' settle for a substandard space sim with funky colors.

this is pretty much the polarizing side of this game. i think this is absolutely a game i'm getting $60 worth of enjoyment out of. it really is love it/ hate it out there.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
it's unique and unlike any other space sim available

Comparing it to elite dangerous is apples to oranges

um this has been in development since like 2008.. $20 is a little low

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
what else is out? Srs question..

Eve Valkyrie, elite: dangerous, star citizen, what else?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't think it's fair to call this a space sim. It's really a mishmash of many genres with its own unique qualities thrown in. I feel like it has more in common with adventure games like the dig than most space sims.

I haven't made it far on my journey to the center to see if any questions ever get answered. Been too busy hunting down drop pods, talking rocks, and crashed starships.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this is pretty much the polarizing side of this game. i think this is absolutely a game i'm getting $60 worth of enjoyment out of. it really is love it/ hate it out there.

It's great for people that haven't touched this kind of game. It lacks features badly for a $60 game. It doesn't matter how long it has been in development. It is what you make of it, which is also true of Elite I suppose. Some people just dont connect.

This genre is emerging after a long hibernation thanks to Elite and Star Citizen. SC is a valid option, but the money people have thrown at this game is sickening.

-Eve Valkyrie the new features are great fun, but this is more of a combat game.
-House of the dying Sun
-EverSpace
- or just google "games like Elite Dangerous"

I guess I shouldn't complain too much because it has acted as a gateway game. Elite jumped to #6 on steam soon after NMS came out on PC. There are now many options for HOTAS. VR optimization. It's hard to look at NMS as something serious when you can play a game like Elite with VR, HOTAS, and voice command you never need a keyboard. I can play with my friends, or I can just cruise the actual known galaxy and explore. To date less than 2% is discovered.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
it works wonders for a guy like me who does not do the pc gaming thing.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...a substandard space sim with funky colors.

I agree, it's not about the gameplay, everything has been done anyways in this territory -- it's solely about the looks. And tho it works, let's not be delusional about anything else.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There is a flashlight in this game. They call it "torch" like the brits do. I have not yet encountered an area that was dark enough to use it.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
the game hooks into VorpX, there's a few different profiles that work

walking around a planet surface works fine, looks cool in the VIVE

cockpit view is jacked tho

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I was reading that you can look around in the cockpit if you have a controller hooked up and use the analog stick. Whatever that control is, it is not bindable to mouse or keyboard control.