Nintendo Switch

Yoshi

20 Year Member
And yet, the Switch Light doesn't play all Switch games.
Are you sure? You can still connect controllers to it through Bluetooth, so it seems like everything should still be possible.

edit: I asked my daughter about it, and she'd rather play on the TV, so she'll be getting mine when the Pro comes out.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Are you sure? You can still connect controllers to it through Bluetooth, so it seems like everything should still be possible.

edit: I asked my daughter about it, and she'd rather play on the TV, so she'll be getting mine when the Pro comes out.

Yeah, if you want to play non-mobile games, you can buy an extra pair of JoyCons, but that's what, $80? You're only $20 from the standard model at that point.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Hey look at all the features we cut, but here's a proper d-pad!
(inb4 "the pro controller has a d-pad": the pro controller's d-pad is fucking trash, even my 1983 Donkey Kong Game & Watch has a better d-pad)

Have you ever tried the “HORI D-Pad Controller”? It’s about $14 on amazon right now. One the the major complaints people are citing is that the Hori-d-pad joycon will not work wirelessly with the switch and can only be used in portable mode. If this is true, then that would make it pretty much the same as the implementation of the d-pad on the switch lite. I’ve never tried one myself (I bought a switch arcade stick to play sengoku blade, etc instead) so I’m curious if anyone gave the Hori joycon a shot:

hori-joycon-left-wm-1-1038x576.jpg

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
[.....] so I’m curious if anyone gave the Hori joycon a shot

It's alright. It's better than the buttons (what isn't?) and better than those replacement Joycon shells with a homemade d-pad. Best way I can describe using it would be likes using mushier 3DS d-pad. My biggest issues with it are less the d-pad than just the design of the Joycons period. Between being flat on the back with no contour and the offset placement of the d-pad causing it to be uncomfortable after about 5 minutes, it's just like trying to play a d-pad only game on my 3DSXL. A real hand cramper, and I imagine the Switch Lite will be the same exact thing.

Hori has that $50 fancy pants set coming out that has the Joycons shaped like regular controllers so hopefully that may solve those issues.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
It's alright. It's better than the buttons (what isn't?) and better than those replacement Joycon shells with a homemade d-pad. Best way I can describe using it would be likes using mushier 3DS d-pad. My biggest issues with it are less the d-pad than just the design of the Joycons period. Between being flat on the back with no contour and the offset placement of the d-pad causing it to be uncomfortable after about 5 minutes, it's just like trying to play a d-pad only game on my 3DSXL. A real hand cramper, and I imagine the Switch Lite will be the same exact thing.

Hori has that $50 fancy pants set coming out that has the Joycons shaped like regular controllers so hopefully that may solve those issues.
Yeah, but these have to be attached to the Switch to work. Fail.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Fucking this 100%. Hori should spent a lil more cash in designing it to work in wireless as well.

Or Nintendo themselves should of actually designed better controllers. Joycons are just garbage. I would of forgiven them if they packed in a pro controller stock in every console box. As a standard use controller joycons are just awful. The failure rate on them is terrible as well when compared to their past products. I know I am coming off as harsh on Nintendo, but that is because I know they are able to design and build top grade products when they want to. Joycons are just a lukewarm attempt that does not meet the quality of that company.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My main complaint hardware-wise is the wifi antenna. It's ridiculously weak. I'll have zero bars on my Switch while I have full bars on my phone and computer. I can barely even load the store.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
It's useless to me if it only works in handheld mode.
Have you tried the pokken controller? I use it for playing most fighting games on the console. It works with the SNK arcade archived and virtual console games. The cable is pretty long.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Switch mini would have been fine starting at $150 but at $200 it's too steep. Especially when considering how many features its missing out on. The increased battery life is probably the biggest thing for me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I mean... Who is playing BOTW in handheld mode, though?

Playing cadence of hyrule, or quickie games, yeah. But big titles like Zelda/Mario/Dark Souls Remastered, etc that's friggin docked play.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

Playing cadence of hyrule, or quickie games, yeah. But big titles like Zelda/Mario/Dark Souls Remastered, etc that's friggin docked play.
I played through both Mario and Zelda mostly in handheld mode. It was just more convenient as it was just getting a few moons and such before bed. Playing in the big screen though takes the experience to a whole new level, so I agree with you on that.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This might be of greater interest, though it better not be the "upgraded" version long-rumored.

I'm afraid, the upgraded-long-rumored can only mean the next gen Switch in two years. Now, that the Vita is definitely shut down, Big N is not at haste anyway.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member

I've got over 460 hours in BOTW handheld mode.

The only game I play docked is Super Mario Odyssey becasue detached joycon make the motion moves much easier.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This might be of greater interest, though it better not be the "upgraded" version long-rumored.

If you did want to upgrade, is there any way to transfer your account, with saves and purchased games to a new Switch, without going through a bunch of Nintendo bullshit?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If you did want to upgrade, is there any way to transfer your account, with saves and purchased games to a new Switch, without going through a bunch of Nintendo bullshit?
I haven't done it, but my understanding is that this is actually Nintendo's first modern system and that all of that is possible.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Nah turned out to be a revision of the regular model. With the Switch Mini announced, I doubt they will release the supped up Switch this year. I think that will happen at the beginning of next year.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
So I don't have a Switch, but am definitely considering getting one within a few months. I came across this article which seems to be saying there is a noticeable amount of display and input lag with it, particularly for those who like to play more genre titles like our fighters and shmups rather than just the mainstream types of games. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

http://electricunderground.io/a-hardcore-shmup-players-thoughts-on-the-nintendo-switch/

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So I don't have a Switch, but am definitely considering getting one within a few months. I came across this article which seems to be saying there is a noticeable amount of display and input lag with it, particularly for those who like to play more genre titles like our fighters and shmups rather than just the mainstream types of games. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

http://electricunderground.io/a-hardcore-shmup-players-thoughts-on-the-nintendo-switch/

I haven't played any shmups on the system. Most my gaming has been focused on either mainstream Nintendo titles, and indie games, and ports. The fighting games and 2d platforming games I've play were fine when it came to that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I haven't played any shmups on the system. Most my gaming has been focused on either mainstream Nintendo titles, and indie games, and ports. The fighting games and 2d platforming games I've play were fine when it came to that.

Played Tengai on it a few weeks ago for about 30 min and never noticed any lag. Not saying there isn't any lag but played fine to me.