NGPC Prices on the rise and rare games thin on the ground!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I had heard there were maybe xxxxxxx copies of each of the B&W PAL titles, so two boxes account for 20 - 24 of them.

I still don't understand the seller's pricing strategy though. :confused: Why not sell them one at a time every six months for 10x as much?

Where did you hear this? Do you have concrete information other than what someone said (that they probably heard someone else say, that someone else probably just guessed)? I really don't mean to come off as rude, especially to a fellow NGP fan, I'm just really tired of people throwing out sales numbers without a reputable source.

There are no PAL titles.

You mean the UK releases.

You mean the everywhere-outside-of-Japan releases. :p

The same English NGP games were sold in Asia outside of Japan, and the US through SNK USA.

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
If I had a source, I would have provided a link, thus my use of the phrase "I had heard". Of course my comment was based on the same hearsay and legends we have all been living on, lo these past 17 years.

(Do I really need to say this here, of all places?)

The problem is that others will take this as fact and the bad information will spread. I don't think sales numbers should be speculated. I know here can feel different. If this was a private forum, I wouldn't care. It's public though, and next time someone searches for info on black and white Neo Geo Cup 98 Plus, there is a good chance they will turn up this thread.

I've seen lots of false truths created over the years in this manner. If enough people say pass it on, a blog will eventually say it, then a better known website, then Wikipedia. Then, to most people, it's as good as true.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Thank you. I hope you don't take it personally, this is just one of my biggest peeves. I really appreciate your contribution to the website as one of the few who appreciates the NGP enough to participate in discussion.

davidevoid

n00b
Hello all!

I'm new here, thought I'd join in on the conversation surrounding the most recent lot of items appearing on eBay from a seller in Spain. My items just arrived today, I got this lot for a super bargain price. Will post photos tomorrow as I can't tell if they're 100% official and would like your opinion... there are some oddities like the Samurai Shodown sticker looking like it has been pasted over a Japanese Samurai Shodown cart and the fact that the game actually plays in colour! Also the sticker on Neo Mystery Bonus looks to be printed a bit funny... anyway, more tomorrow.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown actually has limited color support, so that's normal.

You can't fake a NGPC cart, so it basically comes down to if the manuals and inserts are real. In all of my years of collecting, I have never seen a bootleg that wasn't larger than a normal cart. The label could be fake, but there's basically zero chance any of the carts themselves are bootlegs. Regarding the double label, I haven't seen that before, but my experience with the black and white games is limited. SNK did this with MVS carts all the time (and I believe a few home carts as well), so it wouldn't surprise me if they did it with NGP.

The Neo Mystery Bonus is real because that game is not worth much.

I've never seen a loose NGC 98 Plus before (as turq said, they typically show up complete about once a year on ebay). I find it very hard to believe he somehow ended up with loose ones for which he could make fake packaging. Unlike every other NGP/C game, there is no Japanese version that could be converted to a bootleg.

davidevoid

n00b
You are probably right. He says he got them from an old computer supplier.

I was shocked when Samurai Shodown played in colour, are there many other B&W games that play in colour?

One this I noticed with all the games was that they didn't have ELSPA rating stickers on them, were these only used in the UK? And would that suggest that there are 4 print varieties for NGPC games (US, UK, EU, JP)?

Here are the photos for those curious, notice the sticker on Samruai Shodown being stuck over what I would imagine to be a Japanese Samurai Shodown sticker. Also the print quality of the Neo Mystery Bonus sticker. Also the back of the box does not match the back of the regular EU copies shown here Cheers!

NEO MYSTERY BONUS NEOP0016 01.jpgNEO MYSTERY BONUS NEOP0016 02.jpgNEO MYSTERY BONUS NEOP0016 03.jpgNEO MYSTERY BONUS NEOP0016 04.jpgNEOGEO CUP NEOP0022 01.jpgNEOGEO CUP NEOP0022 02.jpgPOCKET TENNIS NEOP0009 01.jpgPOCKET TENNIS NEOP0009 02.jpgSamurai Shodown NEOP0008 01.jpgSamurai Shodown NEOP0008 02.jpgSamurai Shodown NEOP0008 03.jpg

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Don't worry, these are no bootlegs. But interesting to see SNK recalled NGP games to badge an English cart sticker over a Japanese one. That's something I only know from AES carts.

About B&W games: As far as I recall these are not UK or EURO versions in general. At the time of the B&W games the NGP wasn't even advertised in Europe and those english clamshells were meant for the Asian (aka non-Japanese) market, especially Hong Kong. Since they have the same appearance and the use the same stem as the latter EURO clamshells these are (falsly) considered to be EURO versions.

davidevoid

n00b
Hmm interesting, that would explain it. So where do you reckon this version of Neo Mystery Bonus lies? It says 'Recommended age: 21 and over' which I believe has never been a thing in the UK. It's usually 18 and over.

Also (noob question alert!) the forum isn't allowing me to view my images that I posted, they're just showing as links which say I don't have permission to view them when I click on them.

On a very big side note (what the hell! seeing as I'm here) does anyone know whether the link cable can be used across different regions (example; trading cards across UK and US version of Cardfighters Clash) and can the link cable be used between B&W and colour systems? There's so little info out there when it comes to SNK products. Thanks in advance.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I was shocked when Samurai Shodown played in colour, are there many other B&W games that play in colour?

It's (unfortunately) the only one. But it was a nice surprise for me too :)

One this I noticed with all the games was that they didn't have ELSPA rating stickers on them, were these only used in the UK? And would that suggest that there are 4 print varieties for NGPC games (US, UK, EU, JP)?

Some games even have more. Like Metal Slug for instance had 7 (!) different releases IIRC. JP, US, Asia and four EURO releases (one with ELSPA logo, one with German, English and Italian (?) insert, one with Spanish and French insert and another variant I don't remember). So this is absolutely normal for NGPC games.

Also (noob question alert!) the forum isn't allowing me to view my images that I posted, they're just showing as links which say I don't have permission to view them when I click on them.

I think that's because you are either new to the forums or you are not logged in when viewing your thread.

On a very big side note (what the hell! seeing as I'm here) does anyone know whether the link cable can be used across different regions (example; trading cards across UK and US version of Cardfighters Clash) and can the link cable be used between B&W and colour systems? There's so little info out there when it comes to SNK products. Thanks in advance.

It depends on the game. Some do like the KoFs for example, some don't like Last Blade for example. Try to search the forums, there's definitely a thread about the compatibility issues.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Seeing these pics i regret not having bought a couple carts more for trading purposes :(

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
A majority of NGPC games that were released in both regions have the same game ROM, and the language displayed is controlled by the language the system is set to. In all of these cases, you can link the different versions. I have always set both systems to the same language. For the games with different ROM's between regions, generally the more text heavy games like Cardfighters, I have always assumed these are not linkable, but I have never actually tried to do so. I'm not sure about linking between black & white and color systems, that's something we will have to test.

davidevoid

n00b
I find all this information fascinating, SNK were such an unusual company, such strange and intriguing logic. Wish we knew more about the people who made these games (didn't they all have to go under nicknames?)

At the moment I have one system and a bunch of games but I'm tempted to get a B&W console from the same seller for collectors purposes and for sheer curiosity to see colour games playing in B&W (and who can complain about have another NGP hanging about the place!?). A big plus would be being able to get a 100% set of cards on Cardfighters through linking... maybe I should just take the plunge...

The funny thing is I had a NGPC back when it came out and could only afford and get hold of 3 games, KoF r2, Samurai Shodown 2 and Pocket Tennis... I loved it but was stupid and wanted more PS1 or PS2 games or something and got rid of it... now 15 years later and I've got 15 games and I'm still wanting more... how was I so happy with 3 games but now want more and more!? [moves cursor tentatively towards Buy It Now button... sigh]

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I didnt realize the NGPC had such sweet AES clam shell type packaging. Ive only ever seen the carts before.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I still got mine, my slim and about 15 complete games. Love that system.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I've been trying to get a complete US boxed collection for a while now. I'm down to needing the following games:
Neo 21, Neo Baccarat, Neo Cherry Master, Neo Dragon’s Wild, Neo Mystery Bonus, Picture Puzzle, Shanghai Mini

How the heck am I suppose to defend spending any money on these crappy games. Let alone spending $20-40 on each boxed. Also I wish that the US adopted the clamshell cases too. The flimsy card board just doesn't hold up very well.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My NGPC US cases are just fine and got most of my games during release so I don't agree with your comment about them being shitty but the clamshells are cooler.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've been trying to get a complete US boxed collection for a while now. I'm down to needing the following games:
Neo 21, Neo Baccarat, Neo Cherry Master, Neo Dragon’s Wild, Neo Mystery Bonus, Picture Puzzle, Shanghai Mini

How the heck am I suppose to defend spending any money on these crappy games. Let alone spending $20-40 on each boxed. Also I wish that the US adopted the clamshell cases too. The flimsy card board just doesn't hold up very well.

Neo Baccarat and Picture Puzzle didn't come out in the US, so now you only have five games left! I like Shanghai Mini, but I can understand not wanting to pay much for the rest. The others aren't that bad, really. They function as gambling games, as intended.

Picture Puzzle is awesome too. It's worth getting as a loose cart to play.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Thanks! i must've read the release list wrong! I guess I should try out picture puzzle then.

Also the cardboard cases aren't shit, but I can tell you none of the previous owners of my ngpc games took any care of them.