NGF Question...Mainly for 8Man, Mahesak, and Stefano

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
thats true but there are fakes that are affordable for the rest of us, take a classic cobra the car can cost upwards of 1 million dollars but there are fiberglass kit replicas that people have access to that are a fraction of the cost of a real one and unless you are up close and know what to look for you could not tell the difference. Your car theory does not really hold water since most of the famous ones that people want there are kit cars that do the exact same thing I am saying about these neo protos.

I wonder how many have legit copies of Metal Slug or Turf Masters, or insert rare/expensive game here instead of MVS converts. There are probably only 10 people on this forum that can afford to drop the 8 grand for the listed turf masters on ebay right now but most could afford a convert. Does that convert make the real one any less expensive? no but does it allow people to enjoy these games like they are supposed to do? yes.

People forget that games are supposed to be shared and enjoyed not horded like the Holy Grail, even forgetting the Neo for a minute how many have repo carts from other systems either by individuals or companies? Is the Tengen version of Mrs. Pacman any less enjoyable then the Namco version? hell that was a repo wasn't it? lets burn Tengen to the ground! Not everyone on here shares the horder sentiment and I applaud you for that, as for the rest of you try to remember what it was like when you were a kid and shared your games among your friends. You did it to share the love and enjoyment you got from those games, those ideals are as valid today with repo carts as they were when you were kids.

I dont really give a shit about cars, i just used that as an analogy and i stand by it.

A piece of advice, you are gonna be torn to shreds on this forum. I was a lurker here for something like 8 years before I made an account. Observe and do your research and maybe people won't call you "seriously fucking annoying". See the flow of things before you post. Things like conversions, flipping, being too forward like telling long time members to stay out of your posts are just gonna make your use of this board miserable.

Last edited:

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I don't care how long someone has been on the forums I am not gonna put up with being bullied by them.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Wait, wait, wait. What's all this talk about private collectors and entitlements on dumping and etc? That wasn't what I said. Dion and Chris like to say they have games only for the top echelon. Well, they also call out the top echelon in that email to you. So, I simply want to know if these games were ever made available to these collectors. We seem to hear a lot that it's offered, but I've never seen one collector with them. Maybe they do. If they do, cool. Whatever. I don't care if these games ever get dumped. Cool, sure, but worth worrying about? No way.

People are shoveling out 1500/cart for JGP AFTER considering the history and source... if you think the "top collectors" give a fuck about the source of hard to find items, you're kidding yourself.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I don't care how long someone has been on the forums I am not gonna put up with being bullied by them.

You are going to have a hard time then, this forum ins't known for being very nice.

Tacitus

Staff member
Fuck the "top collectors"

Honestly, with a few minor exceptions, the *best* games on the neo can be found relatively cheap. You just have to work at it, find a foreign region or just wait.

SS2 - $40
KOF 98 - $120
FFS - $20
AOF2 - 20
BBS2 - $100
KOF 2002 -$200
RBFF2 & Special - $170

Now, there are a few exceptions (the slugs, Garou, BS and NTM) to that rule.. but for a little money (most at or under $100) you can own the absolute cream of the crop of Neo games. Outside of that, you're in collector territory and not enjoying the system for what it is. 75% of the library is mediocre at best. 50% is below average or unplayable crap.

Even if you need to play those games, you can get them converted, emulated, ported or on a cheaper format (CD and MVS) for peanuts.

All that being said, the AES market is treated like a commodities exchange and like all markets, it will inevitably crash. I've been saying this for over a decade and while it hasn't happened yet, IT WILL. Look at other VG markets... eventually the bubble bursts and you can pickup your favorite games much cheaper.

As for the attitude of elitism, it's a marketing trick to part idiots from their money. Don't fall for it or sacrifice something else to fit in. It's like anything else in life.

"There wouldn't be any carnies if there were no rubes."

Tacitus

Staff member

getsbetter1.jpg

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

Y5vcQWn.png

Just playing, but...you really should chill the fuck out, if you're letting people here get you worked-up so early, you won't last long. By NG.com standards, Shroom is being pretty nice.

Tacitus

Staff member
Y5vcQWn.png

Just playing, but...you really should chill the fuck out, if you're letting people here get you worked-up so early, you won't last long. By NG.com standards, Shroom is being pretty nice.

I need to start trolling again... I'm getting soft in this mod chair.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Fuck the "top collectors"

Honestly, with a few minor exceptions, the *best* games on the neo can be found relatively cheap. You just have to work at it, find a foreign region or just wait.

SS2 - $40
KOF 98 - $120
FFS - $20
AOF2 - 20
BBS2 - $100
KOF 2002 -$200
RBFF2 & Special - $170

Now, there are a few exceptions (the slugs, Garou, BS and NTM) to that rule.. but for a little money (most at or under $100) you can own the absolute cream of the crop of Neo games. Outside of that, you're in collector territory and not enjoying the system for what it is. 75% of the library is mediocre at best. 50% is below average or unplayable crap.

Even if you need to play those games, you can get them converted, emulated, ported or on a cheaper format (CD and MVS) for peanuts.

All that being said, the AES market is treated like a commodities exchange and like all markets, it will inevitably crash. I've been saying this for over a decade and while it hasn't happened yet, IT WILL. Look at other VG markets... eventually the bubble bursts and you can pickup your favorite games much cheaper.

As for the attitude of elitism, it's a marketing trick to part idiots from their money. Don't fall for it or sacrifice something else to fit in. It's like anything else in life.

"There wouldn't be any carnies if there were no rubes."

Quoted for the fucking truth! Noobs take note of this.

Don't kid yourselves guys....there's a lot of shitty Neo games. You only have to spend as much as you want whatever that amount is; you don't have to be a big tymer....unless you feel that's a requirement to fit in or something. However, a lot of fun can be had for not a lot of cash.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'd like to add to VT's list:

Magician Lord - $40
Blue's Journey - $40
King of the Monsters - $80
King of the Monsters 2 - $100
Sengoku - $60
FF1 - $40 (hey I liked it)
Ninja Combat - $40 (haters gonna hate)
Thrash Rally - $80
Crossed Swords - $80

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'd have to add KoF '95 - $25, BAMA -$100, AOF3 (I like it) - $30, and Quest for Jongmaster - $50 (I like the mahjong games and this is my favorite right now)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Notice that those "lists of cheap & good games" don't include any shmups.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I should probably leave this reply to someone who's been here longer.... fuck it.

why do you think your so much better then me?

"You're." And he is.

I ask because I don't know, the only stupid question is one not asked.

In real life, maybe. This is the internet, and this forum has a search button. Use it.

If you don't like me for asking questions then just stay out of the conversation because all it does is create animosity.

"Welcome to neo-geo.com motherfucker"

I don't know why you think I am annoying for asking a question

Search button. Use it. Many have given their lives so that you don't have to.

but in the future if you don't have anything relevant to add to my questions please don't respond to them since the only thing you accomplish is hostility when you do that.

Sigh... walk into a foreign country without researching the customs and you're gonna get torn apart.

A piece of advice, you are gonna be torn to shreds on this forum. I was a lurker here for something like 8 years before I made an account. Observe and do your research and maybe people won't call you "seriously fucking annoying". See the flow of things before you post. Things like conversions, flipping, being too forward like telling long time members to stay out of your posts are just gonna make your use of this board miserable.

This.

That being said, honestly, just chill out and hold up on posting for a bit. Read some best-of threads, they're better entertainment than any book or movie you can purchase, and they might make you look a little less ignorant to the long time members.

Also, VT and HeavyMachineGun are offering you some good advice. You can get a pretty decent collection of some good common games without breaking the bank. If you want to know about the stuff you asked about in your first post, there are already plenty of threads you can read that will give you those answers without you having to worry about people "creating animosity."

Enjoy your stay.

Tacitus

Staff member
Notice that those "lists of cheap & good games" don't include any shmups.

The SHMUP market is extremely over inflated at this point. It's worse than the Neo market. All it takes is one or two posts on the right forums and your obscure, shitty shooter PCB is now worth $400. I'm convinced some of these people are subtly fixing the market.

Don't get me wrong, there are bunch of really good shooters on the neo. I picked cheap games that are really enjoyable. (I hate kof 98, but people go gaga for it and it's one of the cheapest in the series.) As much as I absolutely LOVE Blazing Star, it's not worth the price on homecart. Never has been.

Tacitus

Staff member
Also, VT and HeavyMachineGun are offering you some good advice. You can get a pretty decent collection of some good common games without breaking the bank.

I say this as someone who has at one point in time or another owned every single legit, published neo game in one of the formats:

It ain't worth it.

Seriously.

The most fun I've had was playing those games. There's a reason they're cheap. They were published in scores by SNK because people enjoyed playing them and SNK wanted to make money. That's what their business was.

SS2 and FFS are the most common games because SNK kept making them.. they were really good games.

I've bought and sold my homecarts and system, MVS Cabs, carts, mobos, etc. many times over... I'm buying home carts again after picking up another homecart system a while back and I'm only getting what I enjoy and I don't care if they're complete or not.

Having a complete, sealed or mint collection is like dating a model and never fucking her. What's the point? ...and like the saying goes "You show me a gorgeous girl and I'll show you the guy who is sick of fucking her."

Don't derive your happiness from acquiring things to fill the happiness hole in your soul. Derive it from enjoy these things for their intended purpose: FUN.

I'd take the list above and a few others over 100 copies of Metal Slug that sit on my shelf and never get played.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Don't derive your happiness from acquiring things to fill the happiness hole in your soul. Derive it from enjoy these things for their intended purpose: FUN.

I'd take the list above and a few others over 100 copies of Metal Slug that sit on my shelf and never get played.

For sure man. I only buy games that I enjoy playing, and that's it. I don't buy them for value, or to complete some collection, I get games that I like playing, period. Honestly, I'll probably never own an AES, as I'd rather play the games in a cab anyway. The MVS copies being cheaper is just an added perk.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Then fuck off to Gamefaqs or whereever you came from. Also don't forget to take your conversions with you.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The SHMUP market is extremely over inflated at this point. It's worse than the Neo market. All it takes is one or two posts on the right forums and your obscure, shitty shooter PCB is now worth $400. I'm convinced some of these people are subtly fixing the market.

Don't get me wrong, there are bunch of really good shooters on the neo. I picked cheap games that are really enjoyable. (I hate kof 98, but people go gaga for it and it's one of the cheapest in the series.) As much as I absolutely LOVE Blazing Star, it's not worth the price on homecart. Never has been.

I think the only neo shooter homecart that can be had for under $100 is Ghost Pilots...though I did get Aero Fighters 2 for like $50 because of the missing manual.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Definitely have to agree with VT on the shooters, almost all of them are way overvalued on AES / MVS and nearly every other console. I think the cheapest AES shooter that's any fun is Sonic Wings 2, that's about $200 - $250 or more.

On the subject of playing video games (imagine that), people like VT get shunned pretty quick on most video game forums, which is depressing... But explains why games are so expensive, it's from so many assholes buying shelf ornaments.

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Then fuck off to Gamefaqs or whereever you came from. Also don't forget to take your conversions with you.

ok I have tried to be patient with you but you keep pushing the issue, the next step is to go to the mods and if nothing is done then I go to the police and file charges for cyber bullying. I have tried to warn you I won't put up with it.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
SNKorSWM, there's one other under $100 AES shooter, Alpha Mission II... But those two games are kind of lame.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
ok I have tried to be patient with you but you keep pushing the issue, the next step is to go to the mods and if nothing is done then I go to the police and file charges for cyber bullying. I have tried to warn you I won't put up with it.

Laughing my ass off.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member