Newbie looking for some conversion info

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
I am a little new to Neo Geo AES, and I want to know about conversion carts. I know a little about how they are made, I just want to know how it effects the gameplay. How does an mvs cart run on the aes, is there any negative issue. Does it play as if it is a normal aes game. I dont want to get into a whole discussion on if it is wrong or not, just want the lowdown on how it works.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
gmfuss said:
I am a little new to Neo Geo AES, and I want to know about conversion carts. I know a little about how they are made, I just want to know how it effects the gameplay. How does an mvs cart run on the aes, is there any negative issue. Does it play as if it is a normal aes game. I dont want to get into a whole discussion on if it is wrong or not, just want the lowdown on how it works.

Technically, we're not really supposed to discuss conversions .... but anyway.

If the conversion is well done (i.e. using genuine SNK boards and eeprom chips), it'll play and last exactly the same as an AES cart, in theory. It doesn't affect gameplay - if you have some sort of problem, it will most likely involve the sound dropping out or the game malfunctioning or being unreliable.

As for playing MVS carts on an AES - this will require a phantom-1 converter. This works fine in most cases, but some MVS carts are incompatible even WITH this converter. See the thread listed below for details on which MVS carts do/do not work with the phantom-1:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87718

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
i understand

i see this is a tough topic for neo geo die hards. all i am looking for is to know how this works, i realize the aes and mvs are basically the same hardware, i just don't see how a conversion can be so simple, taking an arcade cart and turning it into an exact version for play on the aes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
gmfuss said:
i see this is a tough topic for neo geo die hards. all i am looking for is to know how this works, i realize the aes and mvs are basically the same hardware, i just don't see how a conversion can be so simple, taking an arcade cart and turning it into an exact version for play on the aes.

Its so easy because they aren't basically the same. They are the same. Except for how many pins the boards are. So you just have to move the chips to the right AES boards and voila.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
but arent there still slight differences, the coin-credit start, continues, ect. the gameplay would have to be effected

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
That is determined by the system BIOS. With a debug bios (or the UNI-BIOS), you can set to play the games in MVS mode where you need to insert credits, just like a real MVS board.

Jeff

gmfuss said:
but arent there still slight differences, the coin-credit start, continues, ect. the gameplay would have to be effected

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Conversion speak is a no-no here, but as a newcomer, you probably still haven't read the forum rules, so I'll merely lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.