NES enthusiast thread

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Here's my collection

d3302139e128fcae31094560ac18a6a9.jpg

Here's mine:

1d87d2989a6652a6c07fd105680d8dfc.jpg

I still have around 50 carts in my closet I haven't been able to part with yet, but it's just more convenient to use my Everdrive.

Several years back I bought a new old stock pin connector from someone on Digital Press. The guy raided a electronics store that went out of business that used to be a official repair center. Wish I had bought more than one.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I still have around 50 carts in my closet I haven't been able to part with yet, but it's just more convenient to use my Everdrive.

Several years back I bought a new old stock pin connector from someone on Digital Press. The guy raided a electronics store that went out of business that used to be a official repair center. Wish I had bought more than one.

That's about what I've held onto, the gems in my case of what I had been gifted, bought, or otherwise received back in the 80s and 90s. I've kept nothing that was first picked up in the 21st century for both the NES and SNES and those dropped goods have benefited me greatly with the moronic prices people are paying on things. A fool and their money will so be parted, which is fine by me if they're fool enough to bid war things up.

I've got these games in order: 115-in-1 Famicom Supervision (Pirate), 1942, 1943, Balloon Fight (CI), Blaster Master (CI), Bomberman II, Castlevania (CI), Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (CI), Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Contra, Crystalis, Darkwing Duck, Donkey Kong Classics (CI), Donkey Kong 3, Duck Tales, Duck Tales 2, Faxanadu (CI), Final Fantasy (CI+maps), Gargoyle's Quest II, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Gradius (CI), I'm Kid Dracula (English Reproduction), Jackal, Kid Icarus (CI), Kirby's Adventure, Kung-Fu (CI), (The) Legend of Zelda (CI+Hint Book), (The) Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (CI), Mario Bros. (CI), Mega Man, Mega Man II (CI), Mega Man III, Mega Man IV, Mega Man V, Mega Man VI, Metroid (CI), Mighty Final Fight, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (CI), Popeye, Raid on Bungling Bay, River City Ransom (CI), Road Runner (CI+Tengen Sleeve & Poster), Silent Service (CI), Spy Hunter, Stinger, Super Dodgeball, Super Mario Bros. (CI), Super Mario Bros. 2 (CI), Super Mario Bros. 3 (CI), Super Spy Hunter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game (CI), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project, Tetris (TENGEN) (CI)

That bootleg has the following games: http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Supervision_115-in-1 --97 legit games, 1 dupe, rest are 'pro' speed hacks of black box titles, it's the best multicart on the market for variety. Second best these days if you're in love with that Super 150-in-1 out there now using new quality parts that has like 90% of the $100+ trolled games on NES the shills have made grossly expensive (Samson, Flinstones, Gun-Nac, Jetsons, Panic Restaurant, etc short of basically Bonk and Bubble Bobble 2.)

Kim-- I agree go for it, it would make a lot of sense, just be careful not to spend yourself into the trap so many of these fools these days have fallen into. With a real system I'd get the Super 150in1 I noted ($30~) on ebay, $20 on aliexpress.com and you'll save thousands of dollars in priced up solid games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
is the same thing said for the AV fami? I thought the AV put out a great composite, no?

They are mostly the same, except for the video output. The AV Fami has excellent composite output, while the NES 2 has some of the worst RF video I've ever seen. I'd only recommend the NES top loader if you plan to video mod it. However, if you were going to go that route the AV fami is much easier to install a NESRGB kit too. You don't even have to cut the shell since it already has a Multi AV connector just like the SNES. You can't even tell mine is modded from the outside, the only telltale sign is that it's heavier.

I would like to get a NES toploader to RGB mod sometime, using NES games through an adapter on the AV Fami is a pain.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Or buy a Twin Famicom so you can enjoy all those dead disk system games. Great AV output too.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nice collection.

Had to say something nice before I insult you.

This is that collectard autism the drives up the market. Got to have it mentality then get bored with it.

Might as well take it to game stop and get your $13.50.
Collectard? Really? All my games are loose and were picked up on the cheap. I stopped when I found out about the everdrive and prices got stupid... not sure how that qualifies as a collectard...

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
They are mostly the same, except for the video output. The AV Fami has excellent composite output, while the NES 2 has some of the worst RF video I've ever seen. I'd only recommend the NES top loader if you plan to video mod it. However, if you were going to go that route the AV fami is much easier to install a NESRGB kit too. You don't even have to cut the shell since it already has a Multi AV connector just like the SNES. You can't even tell mine is modded from the outside, the only telltale sign is that it's heavier.

I would like to get a NES toploader to RGB mod sometime, using NES games through an adapter on the AV Fami is a pain.
I got my twinfamicom RGB modded by Kiel... I definitely recommend it. Really worth it, games look great!

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I didn't even know these exist until just now...and here I though my SNES-rewire was tits...guess I was wrong.

To be fair they came out only a few weeks ago. I'm hoping they make a Neogeo version which would be great to adapt to all kinds of stuff.(even Atari due to the easy rewiring)

I have two of the NES ones and two of the SNES:
http://8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/
http://m.8bitdo.cn/Products/retro-receiver-snes.html

Recently they decided to make an Apple II version (of all things...). I ordered one for my //e:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8bitdo/ap40-a-bluetooth-controller-for-ios-android-mac-pc

Tanooki

War Room Troll
They don't have any input lag issues over bluetooth? I remember hearing grumbling about that in the past about other controllers.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
They don't have any input lag issues over bluetooth? I remember hearing grumbling about that in the past about other controllers.

I had lag issues with the SNES30 and my Android phone using a SNES emulator, but using it with this receiver on a NES works great. I figure it was the android emulator that was the problem rather than the hardware.

My PS3 pad works great with it as well. I figure that you need to use a good bluetooth gamepad for best results.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Some recent firmware updates seemed to fix lag problems.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's good to know. I currently use the no longer produced steelseries mobile controller and it never gave me problems on a pair of tablets I've tried it with (and this laptop too.) But that said I'd still prefer the homey comfy feeling of the SNES design since I don't have much use for an analog joystick on old games or tablet stuff anyway.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I found a beat up yellow top loader and I modded it to NESRGB and I have been pretty happy with it. I used the 3D printed multi out so I can use the same cables as the snes and get s-video out as well.

Modding the av famicom would have been way easier. Everyone says the top loader is overrated but with the NESRGB mod it is really awesome. I like that the games just work on it first try with no issues just like the snes.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I found a beat up yellow top loader and I modded it to NESRGB and I have been pretty happy with it. I used the 3D printed multi out so I can use the same cables as the snes and get s-video out as well.

Modding the av famicom would have been way easier. Everyone says the top loader is overrated but with the NESRGB mod it is really awesome. I like that the games just work on it first try with no issues just like the snes.

My RGB'd toploader crapped out the other day. I was desperate to finally finish Final Fantasy after years so I bought a toaster only to find that the 72 pin connector was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I ordered a blinking light win and it's been held up at customs. I'm hoping it finally comes today so I can actually beat Final Fantasy after all these years.

I'll have to figure out what's wrong with my toploader but I haven't had the time or drive to do it.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
My RGB'd toploader crapped out the other day. I was desperate to finally finish Final Fantasy after years so I bought a toaster only to find that the 72 pin connector was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I ordered a blinking light win and it's been held up at customs. I'm hoping it finally comes today so I can actually beat Final Fantasy after all these years.

I'll have to figure out what's wrong with my toploader but I haven't had the time or drive to do it.

You can fix it while you wait. Get a small pot, fill it a bit with water, put a towel along the bottom and bring it to a boil. Throw the 72pin in there for 5minutes. Remove and use NES cleaning kit cartridge adapter (or credit card with eye glasses silk rag tight over it) and pull in and out like 10x. You'll see this disgusting gray goop come off, years of dirty pins and dirty people, dust, you name it in there. Return to the water for 5min. Try again it should come away cleaner if not clean. Do it until you come away clear. If you feel the need (likely not necessary) use a safety pin along the bottom row and pull them upwards a bit.

The heat of the water actually acts like memory metal on the pins, it will sturdy them up some and return them to form. I've done this 2 of 2 times, in both cases the system ran like it came out of the box without a hitch, but sometimes it will make the pins so tight the game will BOTH just dropped in and locked into place as designed.

The boiling works as the pins (real ones from Nintendo) are aluminum and don't rust unlike the shitty after market knockoffs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To be fair they came out only a few weeks ago. I'm hoping they make a Neogeo version which would be great to adapt to all kinds of stuff.(even Atari due to the easy rewiring)

I have two of the NES ones and two of the SNES:
http://8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/
http://m.8bitdo.cn/Products/retro-receiver-snes.html

Recently they decided to make an Apple II version (of all things...). I ordered one for my //e:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8bitdo/ap40-a-bluetooth-controller-for-ios-android-mac-pc

That SNES one allows you to use PS3, PS4 and Wii U Gamepad Pro... holy shit that's amazing.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
You can fix it while you wait. Get a small pot, fill it a bit with water, put a towel along the bottom and bring it to a boil. Throw the 72pin in there for 5minutes. Remove and use NES cleaning kit cartridge adapter (or credit card with eye glasses silk rag tight over it) and pull in and out like 10x. You'll see this disgusting gray goop come off, years of dirty pins and dirty people, dust, you name it in there. Return to the water for 5min. Try again it should come away cleaner if not clean. Do it until you come away clear. If you feel the need (likely not necessary) use a safety pin along the bottom row and pull them upwards a bit.

The heat of the water actually acts like memory metal on the pins, it will sturdy them up some and return them to form. I've done this 2 of 2 times, in both cases the system ran like it came out of the box without a hitch, but sometimes it will make the pins so tight the game will BOTH just dropped in and locked into place as designed.

The boiling works as the pins (real ones from Nintendo) are aluminum and don't rust unlike the shitty after market knockoffs.

Doing this requires you to desolder then resolder the connector to the board correct?

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Not on a toaster. Thing slides right on/off.

If it's the original 72 pin and it's never been disconnected, i wouldn't exactly say it "slides right off"

That boiling water trick is interesting and I may give it a shot. My guess is that it's also partially the lockout chip being finnicky.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

Yeah no matter what 72 to 60 pin adapter I try, if you bump the cart just a little it will lock the game up, you would think that would be a non issue but when I pause the game and throw the controller up on the table I always manage to knock it.
That said I love my rgb AV fami still.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just ordered a 8bitdo receiver for both the NES and SNES as well as a Bluetooth SNES pad to try out. I'll report back when I try them.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I just ordered a 8bitdo receiver for both the NES and SNES as well as a Bluetooth SNES pad to try out. I'll report back when I try them.

I'm eagerly awaiting feedback on whether or not you can remap the buttons. I'd love the SNES controller and an NES receiver (and a SNES receiver, but that's besides the point) and remap the buttons for NES usage as the controller's Y and B mapped to NES B and A.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't think you can remap them, but I think that's the default layout anyway, with the other face buttons being turbo. I'll know for sure in a couple days.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
That boiling trick is amazing.

Apparently my save game is gone but the NES is working. It worked for 2/3 of the connectors I tried. I didn't even bother scrubbing it just boiled them for 15 minutes, cooled them off in cold running water, dried them off and it worked.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I don't think you can remap them, but I think that's the default layout anyway, with the other face buttons being turbo. I'll know for sure in a couple days.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your experience. It would be a shame if SNES B and A got mapped to NES B and A. It's so uncomfortable.