NES enthusiast thread

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I mostly collect FC, with a few exceptions for NES when I want it in English. I really like the smaller cart size and how different they are, although its a shame most carts don't have end labels.

This is my collection some weeks ago... I already picked up a few more. I do try to restrict myself to stuff I find appealing having on the shelf or something I want to play. Either way, loose cart only.

http://imgur.com/APbet1A

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Here's my collection

d3302139e128fcae31094560ac18a6a9.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Has anybody played Nightmare on Elm Street and have any impressions? That one's 4 player.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Has anybody played Nightmare on Elm Street and have any impressions? That one's 4 player.

Played it one player and its hard as hell. Hit detectiin and arcing projectiles piss you off.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
About that post earlier about a purchase, best not to bother with a top loader unless you wish to run the thing through a secondary device before the TV. It has no RF shield and it has these fairly notable solid vertical bars which are pretty annoying and only works off RF. Yes you're right it has no region lock and can play outside its own region, but it's not exclusive if you have 10 minutes to spare.

Get a US NES, stock one, seriously. You can find a pic of it anywhere online with google, but there's 1 pin on the 10NES security chip you need to snip it or just bend it back breaking the connection. Doing this does 2 things -- NO more blinking caused by a bad security check (caused by aging chip to dirty connection) so either games just work or don't. And then the other -- security bypass so you can run PAL stuff short of very select few games that glitch too badly to be usable. My last two normal NES systems in my hands I did the pin snip and I also refurbed the pins using a boiling method and the thing ran like a swiss watch and would never flicker and fired up my PAL Parodius cart I had. I'd just get a US NES, pin snip the sucker, then get a voltage converter and you're good to go.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The top-loader is over-rated as fuck. I have one only because I found it dirt-cheap, and have never even used it. It's on a shelf in the closet.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
The top-loader is over-rated as fuck. I have one only because I found it dirt-cheap, and have never even used it. It's on a shelf in the closet.

is the same thing said for the AV fami? I thought the AV put out a great composite, no?

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
is the same thing said for the AV fami? I thought the AV put out a great composite, no?

No idea. I've never had one. I'm only talking about the American console, which is just flypaper for collectards.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I have an AV Famicom, its great but I'd only recommend it if you specifically want composite video. If you're going to upscale it to HDMI anyway then I'd advise instead to get a high quality clone such as the AVS or the NT Mini.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
So I started collecting NES junk around the time the GameCube came out. Kinda lost interest, and moved on to Famicom exclusive stuff. Here's most of it...

c4456a8f02ab3dfadc23b5070ffb7056.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
About that post earlier about a purchase, best not to bother with a top loader unless you wish to run the thing through a secondary device before the TV. It has no RF shield and it has these fairly notable solid vertical bars which are pretty annoying and only works off RF. Yes you're right it has no region lock and can play outside its own region, but it's not exclusive if you have 10 minutes to spare.

Get a US NES, stock one, seriously. You can find a pic of it anywhere online with google, but there's 1 pin on the 10NES security chip you need to snip it or just bend it back breaking the connection. Doing this does 2 things -- NO more blinking caused by a bad security check (caused by aging chip to dirty connection) so either games just work or don't. And then the other -- security bypass so you can run PAL stuff short of very select few games that glitch too badly to be usable. My last two normal NES systems in my hands I did the pin snip and I also refurbed the pins using a boiling method and the thing ran like a swiss watch and would never flicker and fired up my PAL Parodius cart I had. I'd just get a US NES, pin snip the sucker, then get a voltage converter and you're good to go.
So then theoretically the same could be done with a European NES then? Get the older shape one, snip the pin, and off you go.

I suppose that would be my goal, an NES that just works. That can play us games and European ones, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. It was so much easier when I lived in America to get good, older games. So many things just never got a European release kind of pre PlayStation. And even then it was still a bit spotty. I've got a PAL snes, with a convertor that works okay. Some games just do not come in for me. I'd like to have an NES setup as well, but maybe ones that's a touch more efficient.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

If you have the dogbone controller, use that.

Comfy as fuck.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Comfy as fuck.

I landed up rewiring a SNES controller to work on my NES...best thing ever.

No idea. I've never had one. I'm only talking about the American console, which is just flypaper for collectards.

Yeah...its pretty terrible. I have one as well and the RF output on the thing is just god-awful. I'm actually surprised that Nintendo let those go out that way.

Last edited:

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
Nowadays you can get one of those NES bluetooth receivers and use all kinds of controllers (ps3, ps4, wiimote, the 8bitdo series, etc.)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nowadays you can get one of those NES bluetooth receivers and use all kinds of controllers (ps3, ps4, wiimote, the 8bitdo series, etc.)

Would you like to know how out of touch I am? I didn't even know these exist until just now...and here I though my SNES-rewire was tits...guess I was wrong.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So I started collecting NES junk around the time the GameCube came out. Kinda lost interest, and moved on to Famicom exclusive stuff. Here's most of it...

c4456a8f02ab3dfadc23b5070ffb7056.jpg

Nice collection.

Had to say something nice before I insult you.

This is that collectard autism the drives up the market. Got to have it mentality then get bored with it.

Might as well take it to game stop and get your $13.50.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Nice collection.

This is that collectard autism the drives up the market. Got to have it mentality then get bored with it.

lol

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Comfy as fuck.

I really like the concave buttons on the og nes controller though, even with its sharp as fuck corners that can be deadly to the touch. The same can be said to the Super Famicom controller that has a cooler color scheme, but lacks the concave buttons at Y and X.

Nice collection.

Around 450 nes games there, I wonder how many were blown.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I agree that the dogbone controller is nice, although I generally don't use one. The OG controller is just more familiar to me, and I like the concave buttons.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
So then theoretically the same could be done with a European NES then? Get the older shape one, snip the pin, and off you go.

I suppose that would be my goal, an NES that just works. That can play us games and European ones, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. It was so much easier when I lived in America to get good, older games. So many things just never got a European release kind of pre PlayStation. And even then it was still a bit spotty. I've got a PAL snes, with a convertor that works okay. Some games just do not come in for me. I'd like to have an NES setup as well, but maybe ones that's a touch more efficient.

In theory I suppose so, not familiar with the changes between the two. But I know they both have the same lock out chip so that would be a transferable modification to do. I would imagine it probably would enable US titles, the question would come down to the system wanting to spit that out to a TV as I have no idea.

And while I'm at it. I wish I had never given up my original NES I had but I had a moment of being too nice when i was back out west for a few years (around 5 years back.) I had ended up getting a heavily modified top loader (stereo output with separation wheel on back, a/v ports, and led under the power switch) so it's awesome, and at times I really do prefer the dogbone controller too. But in the end I like the old style better and I too am used to the controller as well. If it wasn't for those fucking predators and their collectard pray I'd be all over buying up a nice cherry old style NES once more and giving it the 5 start work over as I have been cleaning, fixing, and tweaking those things for 20 years off and on now and I find it relaxing. Maybe I'll find one one day where someone doesn't care or it's a slip up, but when you have assholes like that douche on Storage Wars talking up the NES 001 being worth $13000 (when broken it was worth $10), the stadium events crap from goodwill worth $25K, every idiot out there now things those things just shit gold bricks unfortunately.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
In theory I suppose so, not familiar with the changes between the two. But I know they both have the same lock out chip so that would be a transferable modification to do. I would imagine it probably would enable US titles, the question would come down to the system wanting to spit that out to a TV as I have no idea.

I'll be giving this a shot maybe next month. Honestly, I want to see can it be done. Now I know my missus has ordered the mini NES for me for Christmas, but I know that will be a gateway drug into it again. And as I've found with my snes, some games just refuse to work here. (Art of fighting, samurai shodown I'm looking at you) but for the most part things work fine.

So it might just be for ice hockey, metal gear, maniac mansion, ninja turtles, contra, and all of the mega mans and castlevanias I'll probably still wind up with a toaster again.