NEOSD MVS Support thread !

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Hello,

Correct me if i am wrong, but kof2003 on 161in1 is a hacked version, so the checksums should be different than original kof2003.

I think dragonpt was saying that he is having those issues with the 161in1 and the original kof2003 cart aswel

Also, have you been able to try the firmware update we have sent you ?

Thanks

The one on 161-1 is ok

But, the original cart game ( and yes its original i checked the boards) do glitch sometimes ONLY on the mv1fz ( i have two of these now)

Seems a board issue

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There is like 2 different converstaions going on here.

neosd

Neosd Developer
The one on 161-1 is ok

But, the original cart game ( and yes its original i checked the boards) do glitch sometimes ONLY on the mv1fz ( i have two of these now)

Seems a board issue

Hello,

It would be nice if someone else with the original Kof2003 can confirm if the game glitches on the mv1fz aswel.

Thanks for checking that

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Yes, the checksums are different to the original, but the boot checksums match the same values as the checksum provided when booting the bootleg version on the Neo SD, and they always show the same values each time. As you will see in the video I am uploading at the moment, the checksums change on banks 2 and bank 4 on KoF2003 - this is the clue to the problem and likely why the graphics are corrupting. On Metal Slug 5 the same CRC problem occurs with the P ROM on bank 0. The point I am trying to make here is the boot version on the Neo SD should work, because the exact same ROMs with same checksums work on a multicart or bootleg without issue.

I've updated the firmware - it seems to have fixed the 'lines' issue, but I need to do more testing, I've only tested KoF2003 so far with the new update. The video is uploading now, I will post a link in a minute.

EDIT - Here's the update video after firmware update. As I said, I need to test more games before I am sure if the lines issue has been resolved, but it looks that way. But the sprites / P ROM issue still exists:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-8qIVMM7g&feature=youtu.be

EDIT - I do think there's a cross talk issue that perhaps relates to the MV1FZ when using this cart. Maybe one of the upper prog or cha address lines are picking up some crosstalk.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hello, GadgetUK, keep in mind this update is just to try to fix the "line glitches" graphics issues, the checksums issue is still being worked on :). We hope to have a new build this evening that solves it. Also this is very like to be causing the sprite glitching in the intro, as it affects entire tiles, and not lines, and it's caused by wrong data being read from the banked data (hence the wrong CRC).

Glad to hear that the "lines" glitch is not happening anymore so far :).

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Hello,

It would be nice if someone else with the original Kof2003 can confirm if the game glitches on the mv1fz aswel.

Thanks for checking that

GagetUK has already said the crc banking issue happens in the other games I asked him to test so this is not just related to kof2003. I really don't think this is going to affect original kof2003 carts on the MV-1FZ because we would have known about it years ago (just like the issues with rotd on some MVS types).

The only way you can really rule a MVS system incompatability is if gadgetUK has an original kof2003 cart that he can check on his MV-1FZ. If that gives the same hair corruption or the same crc32 issues then you can say its a MVS related situation. Using any kof2003 bootleg to do this is a no go because that uses a totally different banking system. It has to be an original kof2003 cart and the original kof2003 version on the neoSD.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Following Razs comment last night about SVC I thought I would test that a bit more throughly - there's a problem with that game too. The CRCs seem to report OK every time I've run the CRC check, but in game the game crashes after the demo and just as it tries to go back to the intro.

I will put the link to the SVC problem here in a minute when its uploaded.

Hello, GadgetUK, keep in mind this update is just to try to fix the "line glitches" graphics issues, the checksums issue is still being worked on :). We hope to have a new build this evening that solves it. Also this is very like to be causing the sprite glitching in the intro, as it affects entire tiles, and not lines, and it's caused by wrong data being read from the banked data (hence the wrong CRC).

Glad to hear that the "lines" glitch is not happening anymore so far :).

Thanks, I appreciate this isn't the easiest thing to resolve until you can recreate it yourselves.

EDIT: Here's the SVC problem:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiO0M4thHU&feature=youtu.be

EDIT2: Raz, my friend brought his original KoF2003 last night and it worked fine!!! I am absolutely convinced there's a problem.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
@GadgetUK, that SVC crash. Looks to be happening when the Highscores should draw..... Try turning off the backupram saving option in the neoSD menu and then clearing your backupRAM and see if that fixes the freeze in SVC attract mode.

Also to confirm, your not overclocking your MVS are you?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Just saw your 2nd edit GadgetUk. That is what I suspected would be the case given we never heard anything before with problems with that game on the MV-1FZ.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello GadgetUK,

We just have sent you another firmware update, this one should fix the bank issues you are having.
Again, we were not able to reproduce the issue so this is a test ..

Thanks for your time

Following Razs comment last night about SVC I thought I would test that a bit more throughly - there's a problem with that game too. The CRCs seem to report OK every time I've run the CRC check, but in game the game crashes after the demo and just as it tries to go back to the intro.

I will put the link to the SVC problem here in a minute when its uploaded.

Thanks, I appreciate this isn't the easiest thing to resolve until you can recreate it yourselves.

EDIT: Here's the SVC problem:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiO0M4thHU&feature=youtu.be

EDIT2: Raz, my friend brought his original KoF2003 last night and it worked fine!!! I am absolutely convinced there's a problem.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks, I've just applied the update - went in OK, then after it booted its totally unstable now - to the point I cannot program a game because it locks and crashes.

What now worries me is I suspect it would also crash on another firmware update so I think its close to being f*****d because of that last update. It's extremely unstable - If I am lucky after powering off and on 10 times I can navigate to a rom on the first page and program that game. Its not stable enough to navigate more then a few pages, and if I am lucky enough to get to KoF2003 in the list it then black screens as soon as I press A to program (that happens on the roms on the first page of the list too - its just so unstable now). 50% of the time when it boots, I see the Neo SD logo, and it says scanning the SD card, and then I just get a black screen. Please give me an update to put it back to the previous firmware version because this is unusable completely =(

I appreciate the efforts you are going to but the way it is now I can see it being bricked by the next update - It might not even be possible to revert it back to the previous version due to the current problems =/ I would suggest not making any more firmware updates (other than rolling mine back to the previous version) until you are able to replicate the problem at your end. As it was I could play 99% of the library but as it is now its a paper weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWMKd8EmOIU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwaErP0OHw4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
We'll revert your firmware to the previous working one. Don't worry, there are ways to update the firmware without going to the menu, so you won't get a brick. I'm sorry the banking issues haven't been fixed with the latest test firmware.

We are sending you a new one in a few minutes.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thank you, and you've been incredible helpful today and very fast at responding to everything. What I would say, if we can revert it to the previous update (with the line fixes), don't worry about rushing another update to me after that - take some time out for a few days or something to consider things, see what if any other errors get reported by other users etc. It will allow me to test and play many of the games that seem OK and see what else I can learn about the problem just by testing a wider selection of games.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I love teh Drama...

But i don't love drama queens... go figure...

xROTx

neodev

Neosd Tech
Yes, the firmware we are sending is the one with the line fixes, but without the attempt to fix the banking. Just a quick question, do you have your MVS overclocked?

Thank you, and you've been incredible helpful today and very fast at responding to everything. What I would say, if we can revert it to the previous update (with the line fixes), don't worry about rushing another update to me after that - take some time out for a few days or something to consider things, see what if any other errors get reported by other users etc. It will allow me to test and play many of the games that seem OK and see what else I can learn about the problem just by testing a wider selection of games.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello GadgetUK,

We have sent you a firmware to revert it to the previous state.
Follow the instructions on the email, cause this time is different procedure.

Also, really sorry to not get it fixed today, it would really help us a lot if you can get a different mv1fz, cause we have tried to get the same issue here and we cant find a way to reproduce it.

Thanks

Mikekim

n00b
Ive managed to test on a couple of boards;

MV-1C (Analogue CMVS) no issue
MV-1B (Supergun) no Issue
MV-1B Supergun) no Issue (Korean Bios)
MV-1FZ (Supergun) glitching issue

couldn't get my MV-4F to work with the supergun...

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

Could we send you the first firmware that solves the glitching on the MV-1FZ ?

If so, could you send us an email to contact@neosdstor...... ? with your serial number

Thanks

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

which glitching issue are you talking about, the hair issue in kof2003 video gadget posted or the SSVS hortz lines?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks, I applied the forced firmware update (< now that's a nice feature and shows good design as its not relying on the 68K to do the work), and that has successfully reverted it back to the previous state. Just testing some games now to see if I can find any other problems besides KoF2003 and MS5.

My system is not overclocked btw! I've got something like 80 carts, 6 multicarts, several boots - all of them work flawelessly on this system!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks, I was just ruling out some posibilities with the overclocking question.

Thanks, I applied the forced firmware update (< now that's a nice feature and shows good design as its not relying on the 68K to do the work), and that has successfully reverted it back to the previous state. Just testing some games now to see if I can find any other problems besides KoF2003 and MS5.

My system is not overclocked btw! I've got something like 80 carts, 6 multicarts, several boots - all of them work flawelessly on this system!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

Did my suggestion fix the SVC issue you had?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks, I was just ruling out some posibilities with the overclocking question.
Just a quick update - I think its a fault on the cart! Well, I am guessing so at this stage - I need to do more testing at lunch tomorrow (working in morning), but I went through a tonne of pain getting my 4 slot out of storage and wired up just now. It doesn't boot AT ALL on the 4 slot. I tested the 4 slot - just as a sanity check, with several games, including 161 in 1 and the 4 slot works perfectly with all 4 slots. The Neo SD on its own in ANY of the 4 slots just results in the standard green screen with blocks with a reset as it steps through each slot looking for a cart.

What is interesting is how the MV1FZ can have these wierd problems yet the 4 slot wont even boot it =|

Just now I spent 20 minutes examing the board with high magnification, I see a couple of minor manufacturing glitches but they are so minor (and not on the right part of the PCB) that I fail to see how they could cause the fault. I've moved the serial number stickers onto ground plane areas of the board, just to make sure those weren't providing some capacitance to underlying traces (paper does act as a capacitor, although unlikely I wanted to rule it out), but that made no difference. If I was to speculate I would think that there's a very small solder bridge somewhere (where I dont know), or some flux or something perhaps providing some capacitance between pins on a chip.

I guess once I've tested it again tomorrow the next step would be for me to send it back to you guys to take a look at and see if you can work out WTF is going on with it lol. I just KNEW something was going to go wrong with this order - you know when you get so excited and hyped for something and you CANNOT WAIT for it to arrive, that's just a recipe for disaster imho!!! Murphy pops out and throws some unexpected problem at you, and all because you were super excited and thought your dreams had come true lol.

I will upload another video tomorrow, just so everything is clear so far. Hats off to you guys for being so supportive today! And that lines fix did work a treat, so no one else should have the wierd sh** that I've had lol

Did my suggestion fix the SVC issue you had?

Yes thanks!!! You were spot on as always, the SVC hang was indeed BRAM needing reset!

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
hope for you gadget they can solve it,but sometimes bad luck happens.
my mvs is shipped,so hope this saturday i can test my neosd.