NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

dirtbox

n00b
I've been following this thread with awe for some time and have to ask a question that doesn't seem to have been posed yet, but sorry if it's been done already.

Stop me at any point if I start going wrong here because there's a lot of info to digest and I may have got a little muddled along the way - The NGX is running a Linux kernel that loads a front end for the Finalburn Alpha emulator which allows you to play FBA formatted roms which are stored within the internal Micro SD card or Samsung chip in later models and both from the external SD card socket. Right so far?

Okay. It's my understanding that Finalburn Alpha is a multi-platform emulator for various types of arcade hardware. The probably incomplete list is as follows:

Capcom CPS-1
Capcom CPS-2
Capcom CPS-3
Cave
Neo Geo
Sega System 16 (and similar), System 18, X-Board, Y-Board
Toaplan
Taito
Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware
misc stuff the authors like

So my question. Hypothetically, does that mean that the NGX is capable and ready to emulate games from those systems as well?

Given how little work they've put into securing the system and creating their own software, I can't see them having removed the support for other hardware.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
In theory, yes.
Virtually no.

I've already tried and not working.
This framework is only the neo-geo enabled games.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
So my question. Hypothetically, does that mean that the NGX is capable and ready to emulate games from those systems as well?

Given how little work they've put into securing the system and creating their own software, I can't see them having removed the support for other hardware.

You can put the Dingoo firmware ( dont know if that one is based on dingux ) on a SD and let the NGX boot it. With that you have all options open for other games. Afaik Playstation, nes, snes, genesis,GBA and master system will run by default there are also more emulators out.
There is a vid up at youtube, cant link because i dont know if it is allowed, because there is also a how to do it with different images of the NGX SD Card without roms and different Dingoo images.

dirtbox

n00b
Thanks, I'll look it up. I was wondering if the console itself was a Dingoo in a custom case, certainly seems to be.

I wasn't aware you could boot from an SD. You mean one that's plugged into the side?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Those weren't released for the X. NGFans made the demos for Time's Up and released them on MVS, AES and NeoCD. I highly doubt they would let their game be released on the NGX due to lack of security.

Actually I asked them last week and they said they had contacted Tommo about it but as yet no reply.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Thanks, I'll look it up. I was wondering if the console itself was a Dingoo in a custom case, certainly seems to be.

I wasn't aware you could boot from an SD. You mean one that's plugged into the side?

It seems so but i dont really know if he modded a second sd slot at the samsung flash chip or not.
Usually he uses an image of the SD card found in the NGX and alter it with Ubuntu and the dingux or dingoo firmware.
Since i did not own a NGX i didnt look much into it. He also provides a ready made Image for a 4GB SD card with dingoo firmware.
I beleave you can boot from the SD slot that comes with the NGX using a SD Adapter.

bugula

Member,
yeah, this is all well in good. but...

how do i hack the thing?

i keed. i keed. hello, turf.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Someone should really try symlinking the internal roms directory to to a folder on the external storage partition. I'd bet a solid 50$ that it would work, and be the best solution for placing additional roms on the handset.

dirtbox

n00b
I was thinking it would probably be easier to link the internal memory to the external slot, switching the wires so you can just plug in a conventional, un-altered SD and have that carry the OS and whatever else.

The problem in my case is I was late to the party and got a 370fw and unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a pin layout for me to solder it back together the right way up. I'm not great at these things, I just know enough to be dangerous to my own health.

zouzzz

Geese's Thug

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
yeah, this is all well in good. but...

how do i hack the thing?

i keed. i keed. hello, turf.

BUGULA!

Step 1. Box it back up
Step 2. Return to store, or eBay

I havent visited this forum in a few months, PM your way.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
it will come on the sd card when you buy the 180 dollar game pack of 2 games

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I agree. I think that the firmware update will provide a lot of insight into this thing. Come on Frenchies... Crack the baby wide open.

I doubt it. We already have the sys_update_file that came out on the 337's and have dissected the entire filesystem of it. As well as the internal storage this thing. Its a dingux box. The whole freaking OS is open source already. Short of completely reverse engineering their launcher, there's not much left to learn about.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I doubt it. We already have the sys_update_file that came out on the 337's and have dissected the entire filesystem of it. As well as the internal storage this thing. Its a dingux box. The whole freaking OS is open source already. Short of completely reverse engineering their launcher, there's not much left to learn about.

I was more talking about how they are going to update this thing via USB. If thats even how its gonna work.. I asked on their FB page and they told me that the update would come via the game card then later they said that it would come via the "rocket" cable.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
So the Rocket cable will be dissected next. Probably will have some wires crossed like the SD slot.