Neo Geo X Gold System $129.99 Brand new @ Best Buy with Free shipping

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi All,
FIrst post on this forum so hello to all. Just checked the Best Buy sight and it seems that they no longer stock the Neo Geo X...

They are back at a new low price $109.99 ;)

Last edited:

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Late last night while priced at $109.99 they had the Neo Geo X listed as an "Outlet Item".... Now today it is back to it's regular "sale" price of $129.99. I picked up one at the $109.99 price and will use it for spare parts! :)

HB_Gamer

n00b
Price Match!

Thanks for the heads up! Just got the BB Price match to save $20. This thing gets better and better.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Late last night while priced at $109.99 they had the Neo Geo X listed as an "Outlet Item".... Now today it is back to it's regular "sale" price of $129.99. I picked up one at the $109.99 price and will use it for spare parts! :)

Yeah, can see its back at 130 USD. Kind of thinking of picking this up with the additional stick, that said I would need to pay a US forwarding company and probably also import taxes / customs fees when shipping to the EU so all in all this may work out slightly too expensive for what this system is worth.
PS. I like your Intel NUC idea for the system - this is something that I might look into instead. Just thinking that with the system you got for spares you could use the Neo Geo X docking station to place the NUC inside that (ensuring proper ventilation etc.) for that authentic look - that would be cool.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Maybe you can also do this with a raspberry pi. Should be good enought with 700MH ( overclocking to 1GH is allowed ) and 512MB Ram.
Has USB ports HDMI and Video and sound out. If the emulator supports netplay you can also do that with the pi.
I just dont know how to compile FB Alpha.
There are 2 mame ports already that should work without frameskip thought.

aiois

n00b
I just received mine (I ordered at $109.99 a few days ago) and it's even version 337! I wonder how many of these Best Buy has in their warehouse...

SSS

neo retired
2 clearance joysticks just showed up. Nothing broken, they won't be getting used with the Neo X however. :lolz:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I just received mine (I ordered at $109.99 a few days ago) and it's even version 337! I wonder how many of these Best Buy has in their warehouse...

Enough to make any NG'er sick lol. Especially with all the "Returns"

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's easier to mod, because the data is stored on an internal SD card.

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
PS. I like your Intel NUC idea for the system - this is something that I might look into instead. Just thinking that with the system you got for spares you could use the Neo Geo X docking station to place the NUC inside that (ensuring proper ventilation etc.) for that authentic look - that would be cool.

Already on it! Spent a couple of days tearing the thing apart to make the intel NUC fit. If you can get the Raspberry PI to run the games good it may fit easier, perhaps even plug and play! ;). Here is my progress so far:
neoxmod1.jpg

Here's the look from the outside. Not much difference yet. I have to replace the button which I'm going to wire it to the power button on the PC

neoxmod2.jpg

Back view of the box... Here you can see where I hacked away at it to cut the ports for the dual HDMI and USB ports

neoxmod3.jpg

View from the inside. Mounted the decased NUC mobo and am in process of wiring the front USB ports to the PC

More progress to come... Perhaps I should make my own thread... :conf:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Already on it! Spent a couple of days tearing the thing apart to make the intel NUC fit. If you can get the Raspberry PI to run the games good it may fit easier, perhaps even plug and play! ;). Here is my progress so far:
Here's the look from the outside. Not much difference yet. I have to replace the button which I'm going to wire it to the power button on the PC
Back view of the box... Here you can see where I hacked away at it to cut the ports for the dual HDMI and USB ports
View from the inside. Mounted the decased NUC mobo and am in process of wiring the front USB ports to the PC
More progress to come... Perhaps I should make my own thread... :conf:

This is just amazing - perhaps you could consider making these to order for forum members. Would be a nice alternative / option for anyone in the market for say an Omega or AI CMVS...

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Looks good, maybe we should call it the Neo-Geo Y ...lol.
Actually i would just be ok with a good Mame or FB Alpha on the Raspi with a Raspi case. That thing is so tiny, i would keep it that way.
Beside that i can still apply some Neo-Geo logo stickers to make it look offical.

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This is just amazing - perhaps you could consider making these to order for forum members. Would be a nice alternative / option for anyone in the market for say an Omega or AI CMVS...

Nah, I wouldn't recommend this method... It only makes sense if you have a NUC lying around already... What I'd do is look for a way to put a Rasberry Pi in there using the current connectors (Mini HDMI and Micro USB). Basically just use the PI as a replacement for the handheld...

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Nah, I wouldn't recommend this method... It only makes sense if you have a NUC lying around already... What I'd do is look for a way to put a Rasberry Pi in there using the current connectors (Mini HDMI and Micro USB). Basically just use the PI as a replacement for the handheld...

Just wondering though is the Raspberry Pi man enough for the job? Granted, one could use it to get some emulator going (eg. FBA), however I doubt that something like the Mame + Hyperspin frontend would work in a satisfactory manner...
Another thing is the AV out - the Raspberry only does HDMI and in order to use a conventional CRT this could be a problem.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
It blows my mind that people are still buying this crap even at the current prices. I mean, the people that bought at launch I can understand because they had no way of knowing exactly how shitty this thing was going to be. People that are buying now though, really? The market for washed-out, distorted graphics is bigger than I thought.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
rofl

For $99 bucks it's not bad at that price point. Not much else you can grab that will play neo geo games even if they are all washed out and terrible. Yea could grab a raspberry but you also have to have a little bit of knowledge to use it also. For a pick up and play device if you buy in at $100 not bad.

At $200 plus a joystick at $50 for those who bought in at that price yeah that's way to much. Really in the end I think they should of just launched this thing as a home console and saved the cash instead of blowing it on a bunch of extra plastic made some tiny mini verison look a like and poured more cash into making it something decent. The machine's cheapness is not so much why I ditched mine (at a profit lol) but more because something about retro gaming and real hardware. I just do not get into it unless I have the real hardware like my snes collecting for example I'm not big on things like the retron etc I like real authentic hardware.

So when I get around to it I plan on just picking up a neo geo cd never had one or played one. I was going to head back to MVS but I just do not feel like spending the amount it's going to take to buy back in the way I would want to. But I still want a authentic neo geo product because life without SS2 is a life half lived... lol

Anyway the project up top is kind of cool I don't think I would go through that much trouble just grab a PI and a case slap a sticker on it and done. Still cool project.

Last edited:

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
With it being $99 at Best Buy its worth it just for the portability factor.
I already have a full MVS collection minus 1 game so I do not care about the distorted graphics when using the docking station.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Yep, just checked and the new price is $99.99 for the Gold package and $24.99 for a joystick - at this rate it will not be long before Best Buy will actually pay people to take these off them. That said, pretty tempted at this price...