NEO GEO Christmas Easter Eggs

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Hey guys,

My family loves playing NEO GEO when they come over - which I'm very happy about - and for this Season's Festivities I'd like to boost my Christmas NEO GEO game.

I've played games on other systems where if the system clock is set to Christmas Day some of the graphics and/or sounds are changed to include a Christmas theme.

Are there any examples of NEO GEO (MVS) titles that have some Christmas flair that I can show off?

I know that if I set some Fatal Fury games to the birthdates of a specific character they will be able to spam their specials (without charging), so know our beloved NEO develops have put in tricks like this in the past.

Any insights?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You're asking if arcade games have special features when the date is set to Christmas? For all those people who were at arcades on Christmas?

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
I'm talking about the possibility of Christmas Easter eggs in MVS games if you set the system clock to December 25th

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm talking about the possibility of Christmas Easter eggs in MVS games if you set the system clock to December 25th

You're asking if arcade games have special features when the date is set to Christmas? For all those people who were at arcades on Christmas?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Ummmm.........No.:spock:
image.php

really I don't know! it was just too hard to pass up.

Last edited:

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I've never heard of birthday special in a Fatal Fury game, can you tell which one?
FYI i read that in the Saturn port of Waku Waku 7 if you set the clock to 25th december you will see some christmas message, don't know about MVS version.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I would say no, as SNK is japanese, not American. I'd love to be wrong though.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
You could build a MVS cart with my little homebrewed christmas Neo Geo game from 2012 ;)
But please don't expect to much from it, its just a simple pong game:
http://www.neohomebrew.com/neo-geo-santaball.php

Here are the ROMs for MVS/AES, if you are interested: http://www.neohomebrew.com/downloads/santaball.rar

Hey! This is really cool! I'd love to make an MVS cart for this - would be a fun project. Do you have a FAQ for this? What carts can be uses as donors? I've got some shit MVS carts here that I could spare, and an EPROM burner under the stairs in my basement.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
In Samurai Shodown 3 Haohmaru's Ougi Senpuu Retsu Zan throws out big juicy Christmas trees instead of Tornados. If you are hit by one the scene changes backgrounds to England mid 1800s where Scrooge can be seen impaling Tiny Tim with his own crutch as Bob Cratchit looks on in horror.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
In Samurai Shodown 3 Haohmaru's Ougi Senpuu Retsu Zan throws out big juicy Christmas trees instead of Tornados. If you are hit by one the scene changes backgrounds to England mid 1800s where Scrooge can be seen impaling Tiny Tim with his own crutch as Bob Cratchit looks on in horror.

Are you pulling my chain bro?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hey! This is really cool! I'd love to make an MVS cart for this - would be a fun project. Do you have a FAQ for this? What carts can be uses as donors? I've got some shit MVS carts here that I could spare, and an EPROM burner under the stairs in my basement.
plz don't destrow teh originalz... use a boot...

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder

Hi, you need to replace the P1, V1, C1, C2 chips with 4 x M27C800 eproms, the S1 chip with a M27C1000 eprom and the M1 chip with a M27C1001 eprom. The eproms can be programmed with a regular eprom programmer which supports 42 pins and the given eprom type (my programmer is a WELLON VP 280B).

I use for my dev stuff the boards NEO-MVS PROGGSC and NEO MVS CHA42G-3B (Samurai Shodown 1) but you could use any board set of the older SNK games without an encryption chip (NEO-CMC). If you use a different board set than mine you may have to change the jumper settings according to the rom size.

Here is a pic of my board set (ignore the second V2 chip):

MVS-dev-cart.JPG

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
there's an easter egg in Real Bout Fatal Fury (1), where you knock Blue Mary out of the docks stage into the water with only a few seconds left and hardly any life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Fatal Fury Special has tons of intense easter eggs to offer... it's not Xmas related, though. Fasten your seatbelts!

Samurai Shodown II has them, too...

...and here's Mark of the Wolves as well, though a bit less interesting...

Let's have'em in one place ;).

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It's not much of an Easter Egg, but when you beat Fatal Fury on a home system, it gives the date of Geese Howard's death as August 23, 1992. In MVS, it actually puts the current date that the internal calendar is set to.

Fatal Fury 2 does the same thing, but it's May 1993 on a home system.

Can't remember at the moment if Fatal Fury Special does it as well, but maybe. When I was younger, I could 1CC Fury 1 & 2, but not special. I didn't play or enjoy it as much.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
At least Last Blade has some snow in the scenery. Moody, yes. Christmasy, not so much.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Did Bust-A-Move Again on the MVS have any Christmas-y stuff, or was that only in the Puzzle Bobble 2X cart for the Taito F3 that came out the same year? Been a while since I played either of those, so I can't recall.