Neo Geo article in The New Yorker

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I always enjoy seeing video game collecting discussed in mainstream publications.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I think Wolf should start playing Neo Geo games while on the air.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
When the New Yorker article mentioned "fifty-five thousand dollars" being paid for a couple of Neo-Geo titles I'm sure a lot of even non-gamers stood up and took notice.

I like that the article discussed counterfeits as that's a global problem surrounding anything of value. For example, I recently watched a news report that exposed the fact that a majority of multi-million dollar Ming dynasty vases sold in China are in fact fakes.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
When the New Yorker article mentioned "fifty-five thousand dollars" being paid for a couple of Neo-Geo titles I'm sure a lot of even non-gamers stood up and took notice.

I like that the article discussed counterfeits as that's a global problems surrounding anything of value. For example, I recently watched a news report that exposed the fact that a majority of multi-million dollar Ming dynasty vases sold in China are in fact fakes.

Also, a majority of Craiglist ads calling for "pretty girls to model games for photography project" end up in kidnapping and possibly rape & murder.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Investing in both Video Games and TCGs?
Best investment ever in the late 90s and early 2000s.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I like that the article discussed counterfeits as that's a global problem surrounding anything of value. For example, I recently watched a news report that exposed the fact that a majority of multi-million dollar Ming dynasty vases sold in China are in fact fakes.
Also, a majority of Craiglist ads calling for "pretty girls to model games for photography project" end up in kidnapping and possibly rape & murder.
:lolz:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Next James Bond movie deals with a super villain who trades in counterfeit Neo-Geo games. That's the only thing that can bump up the hype any further after the New Yorker article. :lolz:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The whole thing reminds me of that one dude from the "Garden State" flick...

You collect Desert Storm trading cards?

- Fuck yeah. Those things are collector's items, man. You have any idea how much those things are gonna be worth one day?

Really?

- Hell, yeah. That's just like an investment. I have lots of little investments all over the place. One day I'm gonna sell all of'em just fuckin' live off of it.

So, like how much is this one worth?

- Which?

"Night Vision Goggles."

- I don't know. Mint? Uh, two, maybe three.

Dollars?

- Yeah. It's too early. You don't sell 'em yet. If you have a complete set, it's worth, like, thousands.

So do you have the complete set?

- Almost. The corners are bent on my "Friendly Fire," and someone stole my "Wolf Blitzer."