Neo Geo article in The New Yorker

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
I'm not a collector, I buy the games to play, full sets are pointless. I just prefer AES aesthetically as it's what I grew up with, but at the end of the day it makes no difference as it's only the game that matters on real hardware to me.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kind of surreal to see a piece in the New Yorker of all places, although it's not so odd when you factor that it's from a contributor (who's authored a fair number of videogame-related articles for the same outlet). As others have said, I think it would have been worth a mention that much of what's being described isn't exclusive to the Neo, although it can arguably be the poster child for some of it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Congrats to oliverclaude for being quoted by the New Yorker.

Thanks. I guess that puts me up there with the balding 'OFF-LIMITS' guy and that nub kid who eats worms... for at least some fifteen minutes.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
yay, even higher prices - you really have to wait some days or weeks but it'll catch on...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks. I guess that puts me up there with the balding 'OFF-LIMITS' guy and that nub kid who eats worms... for at least some fifteen minutes.

Balding off limits guy? Billy Pitt has a full head of hair.

I am balding, however, and I imagine a high percent of the members here are balding as well.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
"Now everything is going up in price. Japanese fatal fury special for 300 bucks. Fucking hell"

so that means i can sell my US copy for 900 USD?:tickled:

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Congrats on the article Shawn but sorry to hear your dad died when you were 29. Sounds like you're ballin' now though so that's something.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Shawn must of forgot who set his deal up with "Wolf".

I didn't know Wolf Blitzer even gamed.

Did Simon contact you through the forums? Does he have an account?

Which of you fuckers realized you could turn National Geographic dispatches on this scene into a contributor gig with the New Yorker?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Balding off limits guy? Billy Pitt has a full head of hair.

I am balding, however, and I imagine a high percent of the members here are balding as well.

I'm doing alright for hair. If you want some I'll send it to you in a bag... it will be pubes

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Now that we're in the New Yorker does that mean I can start wearing a top hat and monocle? A Neo Geo top hat. MS paint designs would be welcome before I run of to the ole' haberdashery.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Credits for the article go to Simon Parkin, Edge regular contributor and one of the best journalists about video gaming.

About the Neo Geo AES scene nowadays is pretty much about 4 or 5 digits, (smell of) plastic and nostalgia.

Last edited:

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What a pointless article.

Instead of mentioning the enjoyment you can get out of the games it just focuses on the monetary aspects of the Neo Geo. As if getting a fullset would be a great achievement. Get yourself a million dollars and you can have that fullset in no time. What's the point in that? Stupid.

I thought the same thing articles like this just fuels the idea that retro games are investments. This lures people in who could care less about playing the games. Doesn't really matter to me I am pretty new to neo geo and finally got my cmvs built and been enjoying the few games I have and a multi cart. Don't feel that need to get a huge collection right away but I can understand why people would want to collect full sets.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
No, this is why Wind Jammers is $200 now.

changdropmic.gif~c200

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I didn't know Wolf Blitzer even gamed.

Did Simon contact you through the forums? Does he have an account?

Which of you fuckers realized you could turn National Geographic dispatches on this scene into a contributor gig with the New Yorker?

Simon contacted me through email.

If Wolf Blitzer played Neo, he'd use his vagina for moving the stick.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I copied and pasted the article to my father in law...Neo-Geo is apparently my most valuable investment now! That's kinda sad actually? But 401k's don't come in snaplock cases now do they?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Good article. Now we just need a cartoon of two guys looking at a shelf of AES games and talking about their IRAs.