MVS Price Guide Overhaul

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
What about MVS conversions? I've been turning some of my gamers condition homecarts into MVS versions. Next up will be to sac an extra Ninja Combat to make way for Magician Lord roms.

Maybe you should scratch a C on both faces of the case if you plan to have it trade hands? This would make the "defect" more spottable. Would the boards technically just be bootleg then? Or since you are sacrificing original carts its different. It would still look like a boot because it wouldn't match the scans -right?

Metus

n00b
Thanks for the guide. As someone the is new to the scene a little direction and guidance helps alot, I really appreciate the time and effort that went into this.

Dr.NeoGeo

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member
IMO the price guide has no use in practice. The prices are made by one or two persons and don't reflect the current market situation. I don't see the purpose of the price guide, because a collector or professional videogame seller will charge what he wants for a game and if there is a demand for a certain game, prices will go up. The price guide is only suitable for persons who don't know much about vintage gaming... and even these people has no choice than to pay what the market asks. I don't think that there is any seller who makes his prices according to the price guide. If you want a game hardly, than you have to pay a certain price, especially when it comes to mint and rare games. A price guide would be helpful only, when it reflects the real market value of a game, so that a buyer or collector can compare the current market value with a present offer. Also the problem with the rarity of a game is not accurate reflected in the price guide. Some games which were common in the past, are rare these days. IMO the prices alone are not the best base to decide whether to buy a game or not. So it might would be helpful to state in the price guide the sale date of the latest transaction of each rare game, like in Shawns store.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
IMO the price guide has no use in practice. The prices are made by one or two persons and don't reflect the current market situation. I don't see the purpose of the price guide, because a collector or professional videogame seller will charge what he wants for a game and if there is a demand for a certain game, prices will go up. The price guide is only suitable for persons who don't know much about vintage gaming... and even these people has no choice than to pay what the market asks. I don't think that there is any seller who makes his prices according to the price guide. If you want a game hardly, than you have to pay a certain price, especially when it comes to mint and rare games. A price guide would be helpful only, when it reflects the real market value of a game, so that a buyer or collector can compare the current market value with a present offer. Also the problem with the rarity of a game is not accurate reflected in the price guide. Some games which were common in the past, are rare these days. IMO the prices alone are not the best base to decide whether to buy a game or not. So it might would be helpful to state in the price guide the sale date of the latest transaction of each rare game, like in Shawns store.

Didn't you rip someone off?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Got me curious, so I browsed the Neo Store.

http://www.neostore.com/The-Last-Blade-2-MVS-kit-p/1242.htm

Did Last Blade 2 become incredibly rare or something? I have a very clean cart (much cleaner than the one shown), mini-marquee and move sheet. Hell, I may even have the box for the damn thing. I had no idea it was worth that much to collectors these days, even in that poor of condition. Not that I think the Neo Store is indicative of true prices, but Shawn must obviously know something I don't about Last Blade 2. Everything else was pretty par for the course, though I was shocked to see such a nicely priced NTM kit. :)

I'm not going to look anymore. I definitely don't need to buy any more Neo stuff.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Got me curious, so I browsed the Neo Store.

http://www.neostore.com/The-Last-Blade-2-MVS-kit-p/1242.htm

Did Last Blade 2 become incredibly rare or something? I have a very clean cart (much cleaner than the one shown), mini-marquee and move sheet. Hell, I may even have the box for the damn thing. I had no idea it was worth that much to collectors these days, even in that poor of condition. Not that I think the Neo Store is indicative of true prices, but Shawn must obviously know something I don't about Last Blade 2. Everything else was pretty par for the course, though I was shocked to see such a nicely priced NTM kit. :)

I'm not going to look anymore. I definitely don't need to buy any more Neo stuff.

I still haven't seen a blue, mint, complete Last Blade 2 kit.

It's only worth what people are willing to pay.

But it's rare.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I still haven't seen a blue, mint, complete Last Blade 2 kit.

It's only worth what people are willing to pay.

But it's rare.

True, people will pay (and ask) whatever. It's just nearly three times more expensive than the second most expensive kit in the store, and some of what he has I'd consider much more rare than Last Blade 2. I was just wondering if Last Blade 2 disappeared or something. I've been out of the market for several years.

Edit: OK didn't see the Twinkle Star Sprites kit for $500, so it's double that... but yeah, my point. TSS is a rare ass kit ;)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
People who collect full kits are basically paying $1,000 for some stickers and a box. Hope you can sell it to someone else later and it won't lose value.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
True, people will pay (and ask) whatever. It's just nearly three times more expensive than the second most expensive kit in the store, and some of what he has I'd consider much more rare than Last Blade 2. I was just wondering if Last Blade 2 disappeared or something. I've been out of the market for several years.

I've read stories over the years that Last Blade 2 was really made in short run.

Vinh, lol, told me that back in the day as did ChrisR. And quite a few people since.

I guess the U.S. version is super rare. I asked for an example back when I took the guide over, but nobody could provide any sales info or pics of the kit.

The price I have listed in the guide is for a MINT kit. The one in the NeoStore will sit for a while, it's not complete anyway.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've read stories over the years that Last Blade 2 was really made in short run.

Vinh, lol, told me that back in the day as did ChrisR. And quite a few people since.

I guess the U.S. version is super rare. I asked for an example back when I took the guide over, but nobody could provide any sales info or pics of the kit.

The price I have listed in the guide is for a MINT kit. The one in the NeoStore will sit for a while, it's not complete anyway.

Yeah, I probably just got lucky years ago when I bought it. Sometimes you hit these things at the right time, and sometimes you just wait too long and the easy to find, cheap complete kit becomes the impossible to find rare loose cart. I used to deal a lot with Cosmic Co. as well and they had a lot of decent stock, many times if not complete at least had the marquee and many of the kit pieces. Most of the later stuff I bought from them, Strikers 1945, Zupapa, NitD, etc came pristine. All of those games would go on to be rare, very short run games, but they were decently priced and easy to find for at least a short window. Heh, just reminds me how much I used to be obsessed with this stuff. More so hunting and finding the good deal, than collecting and hording, honestly. I still have way too many games. I should sell some off eventually. I know there are others out there looking for stuff I'm just sitting on, and some of my stuff may be in collector-happy condition.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Yeah, I probably just got lucky years ago when I bought it. Sometimes you hit these things at the right time, and sometimes you just wait too long and the easy to find, cheap complete kit becomes the impossible to find rare loose cart. I used to deal a lot with Cosmic Co. as well and they had a lot of decent stock, many times if not complete at least had the marquee and many of the kit pieces. Most of the later stuff I bought from them, Strikers 1945, Zupapa, NitD, etc came pristine. All of those games would go on to be rare, very short run games, but they were decently priced and easy to find for at least a short window. Heh, just reminds me how much I used to be obsessed with this stuff. More so hunting and finding the good deal, than collecting and hording, honestly. I still have way too many games. I should sell some off eventually. I know there are others out there looking for stuff I'm just sitting on, and some of my stuff may be in collector-happy condition.

I used to hit up MDGameSales almost daily. Those were the days.

I was getting NOS IM kits for $60 - yes, the huge box, NOS. imagine what you could sell that for today.

Man, wish I would have kept half of the stuff I had.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

If that's your diagnosis then remove that "Dr." from your SN as that sounded like something a scammer would say because it sounds like you just want to get the most money out of your games even though it isn't worth the amount.

Going off of prices like ebay and yahoo sales is the reason why the market is high for certain games. You obviously didn't read the viewpoint example.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Since chris and dion basically controlled distribution in the US, they could have easily kept certain titles being released only in low quantity. Then later sell them at a nice premium one by one.

Dr.NeoGeo

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member
@Tonk: Says the man who ripped people off for over USD 100,000 + for some custom made games. You know m8, the funny thing is that YOU, the man who charges fantasy prices for bootlegs, took over the price guide. What an irony LOL :D

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I asked for an example back when I took the guide over, but nobody could provide any sales info or pics of the kit.

What? Where? Tonk, I don't mean to keep harping on you about this, but Last Blade 2 is absolutely NOT a 2000 dollar kit. If you have any sales where kits sold for anywhere approaching this amount I would like to see them, just like I did when you initially redid the guide.

I also suggested that you alter many of the early titles, notably NAM-1975 to a rare status. Those kits have a good dollar amount attached to them, they don't sell for much when they do pop up, but they are seldom seen for sale.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
@Tonk: Says the man who ripped people off for over USD 100,000 + for some custom made games. You know m8, the funny thing is that YOU, the man who charges fantasy prices for bootlegs, took over the price guide. What an irony LOL :D

MVS not AES, dumb nut. FTL is still in charge of AES.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
By the way, my cart was blue, I bought it from games91999, sold it later to Rot, guess we'll have to figure out who currently has it as my pictures are all gone.

SSS

neo retired
Maybe you should scratch a C on both faces of the case if you plan to have it trade hands? This would make the "defect" more spottable. Would the boards technically just be bootleg then? Or since you are sacrificing original carts its different. It would still look like a boot because it wouldn't match the scans -right?

It would look exactly like the scans. I've been using the correct prog boards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
By the way, my cart was blue, I bought it from games91999, sold it later to Rot, guess we'll have to figure out who currently has it as my pictures are all gone.

Neocartman could have come in handy there.

:crying:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
There was a LB2 kit that sold recently for around 750$; It was complete, and the cart was turquoise. If I remember correctly, Pro_Gear also had a complete LB2 kit with a turquoise cart; other than some marker on the box, the kit looked great. I have a feeling it will be a while before I can knock the LB2 kit of my list, although I've seen more of them than the original LB kit.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Neocartman could have come in handy there.

:crying:

I think Neocartman is a great site Xian Xi, and I've registered all my kits there, but I've always wondered; why do some of the games have 2 listings, like Andro Dunos/Andros Dunos? Could they not be amalgamated under the one proper title? Just curious, but it's neat to be able to see where the kits have been. :D

PESTILENT

Armored Scrum Object
I haven't actively searched for any kits in a while, but LB2 was always that one that has eluded me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think Neocartman is a great site Xian Xi, and I've registered all my kits there, but I've always wondered; why do some of the games have 2 listings, like Andro Dunos/Andros Dunos? Could they not be amalgamated under the one proper title? Just curious, but it's neat to be able to see where the kits have been. :D

Sometimes when I enter the data into the source file I miss some misspellings and then it thinks it's a different game so it creates a new game file. In order to remedy it, we have to first correct the data then wipe the current database and then upload the new database with the correct info.

Thanks for the support btw, we appreciate it.