MVS Price Guide Overhaul

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Exactly. It all depends on what you want to pay in the end. If the seller wants $200 and you want it for $175 but he won't budge and you pull the trigger at $200, that is on you not the guide. When people overpay they just end up raising the price for a cart.

Just like Viewpoint. It was only a $75 game then 2 idiots got into a bid war on ebay for one and it ended at like $200, then someone bought one on these forums that day for $85 with a shockbox and then flipped it on ebay for $150+. Ever since then the cart has almost never went lower than $120 on ebay.

Certain games like Sengoku 2 are expensive because they rarely come up for sale. Not because it's a rare game but because it's a keeper in most collections.

Exactly, and these guides price fix on stupid examples of smaller examples. Like you can't determine true value or even attempt to do so when the only auctions anyone gets excited about is ones that go super high. Its especially fucked up if you own said game and laugh at a distance, and then you easily have a bias of wanting to see it be worth more.

Its neo-geo.com, and these guides are the grail and dictate the entire environment.
paying attention to highs, ignoring the lows to prevent market fall out and not finding a comfortable value medium is where we go bad. Even with good concept, you can't predict it..

Last edited:

stefano

Crazed MVS Addict
There are also rare in MVS Kit

NinjaMaster
LastBlade2
FightFever

Japan qiz....
Japan Majong...

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
So stef,

How much does it cost to decorate a home with 150 MVS kits these days?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
but its not necessarily that simple. plus, since when is more information a bad thing? i think having such a crazy tool available could really regulate the market a bit and we wont see as many peaks and valleys with values. no matter- it was just a suggestion. just sayin'.
More information is a bad thing when you're the one who has to keep it up to date. Seriously, some of the earlier posters just aren't thinking realistically. There's only so much that can be done here. The goal should be ease of keeping the guide accurate and up to date, but if the amount of data is overwhelming, it's going to be harder to do.

In my opinion, anything beyond a loose price range is dictating the market, and that's not the aim of a price guide. It's for informational purposes only, not to regulate the market. Why would you want to do that anyway? It's just simple supply and demand. And honestly, no one can tell the prices accurately enough to supply that kind of exact information. Anything beyond loose price ranges is purely speculation, and that's not the aim of the guide.

Great collection, stefano!

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Fuck it.

I say make it even simpler.

One price. Call it the "Average".

No more wishy washy high and low.

Make a note indicating that Average for loose cart indicates that the cart is in overall good condition with minor scratches from the usual arcade wear and tear and has an original label and that its an official cart and non bootleg. Average for a whole kit indicates that the cart is in excellent condition with minor wear and tear, original label and includes the original box, mm, matching serials...blah blah blah. You can obviously flesh this description out a bit and maybe even link to photos of what you are talking about.

Once you establish the baseline for what Average actually means, then people understand they could ask more for a pristine example or less for one thats perhaps a bit more beat up and/or missing stuffs.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Once you establish the baseline for what Average actually means, then people understand they could ask more for a pristine example or less for one thats perhaps a bit more beat up and/or missing stuffs.

I like this idea, gives good leeway to both buyers and sellers imo.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I like this idea, gives good leeway to buyers and sellers imo.

Yeah, now that I think about it, too much detail will bog down the price guide maintainance process and those people looking to earn top dollar won't give a crap anyways about the guide. Might as well use the guide as an average that people looking to buy can use to come to grips with what the hobby is going to cost for them in the long run if they decide to get into it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I might add an average column to my MVS price guide.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just like Viewpoint. It was only a $75 game then 2 idiots got into a bid war on ebay for one and it ended at like $200, then someone bought one on these forums that day for $85 with a shockbox and then flipped it on ebay for $150+. Ever since then the cart has almost never went lower than $120 on ebay.

Certain games like Sengoku 2 are expensive because they rarely come up for sale. Not because it's a rare game but because it's a keeper in most collections.

^ Why I will never sell my Panda MVS set

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I like the idea of just establishing an average for each game. Do we really need 10 columns of pricing for games? At some point you need to take responsibility for what you're buying. Do your homework and use your judgement. It's a guide and only a guide. Hi/Low or average is the way to go IMO.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
More information is a bad thing when you're the one who has to keep it up to date. Seriously, some of the earlier posters just aren't thinking realistically. There's only so much that can be done here. The goal should be ease of keeping the guide accurate and up to date, but if the amount of data is overwhelming, it's going to be harder to do.

In my opinion, anything beyond a loose price range is dictating the market, and that's not the aim of a price guide. It's for informational purposes only, not to regulate the market. Why would you want to do that anyway? It's just simple supply and demand. And honestly, no one can tell the prices accurately enough to supply that kind of exact information. Anything beyond loose price ranges is purely speculation, and that's not the aim of the guide.

Great collection, stefano!

This is a good point. I think it might actually be better for the community to rate the pricing of games with a relative scale to each other, rather than putting an actual price range. Most ebay sellers for example would stumble on the price guide and start at the highest price point regardless of condition.

For example:
Sengoku $
Shock Troopers $$
Bust-a-Move-Again $$$$
Fatal Fury 2 $
Strikers Plus $$$

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Just for the record, all of the carts below are original, working, and in OK shape.

IMHO, price guides are supposed to help those guys who are new and out-of-the-loop buy and sell games. Now, if I was a new guy and found my way into the forums, I would want a little bit about:

1. Original & Boot carts,
2. Working & Not-working carts,
3. Collector & Gamer quality carts,
4. Hi (or Avgerage) or Low cart prices (shipped),

In the end, I belive everone understands that any object is only worth what someone pays for it. And that price guides do not stop anyone from overpaying or underselling an item. All it does is help people make an informed decision.

IMG_4722.jpg

IMHO:

Boot carts ought to sell for scrap (or Part) value (shipped). Non-working carts ought to sell for price of shipping or O.B.O. (shipped). Working, Gamer carts ought to be between the Low~Avg. (shipped). And, Working, Collector carts ought to be between the Avg.~Hi (shipped).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I added an average column. Prices are from what I observed the past 2 years.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
OK, got some done today. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, whatever, please let me know.

SSS

neo retired
What about MVS conversions? I've been turning some of my gamers condition homecarts into MVS versions. Next up will be to sac an extra Ninja Combat to make way for Magician Lord roms.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
What about MVS conversions? I've been turning some of my gamers condition homecarts into MVS versions. Next up will be to sac an extra Ninja Combat to make way for Magician Lord roms.

I dunno about that. Seems like something you would have to work out with the buyer.

I still don't know what to do about the IronClad, Ghostlop, B2B, Final Romance and such carts.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I agree: I place Conversions somewhere around Boot or Gamer (depends on the buyer) but no where near Collector.

Yeah, I'd like to hear some ideas about the Home Brews and Protos too.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
What would NG: DEV stuff be considered as. Homebrew?

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I really like the idea of putting up photographic examples of various conditions. I think this would be a good tool for people to reference in both sales and potential disputes.

Last edited: