flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
24,273,245 / All stages complete, 1 credit, Original Mode

I wasn't playing alone though ;)

My partner's score was lower anyway, heh

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Only had time to play it a bit so far, not doing too hot - 1.7 million, 1 credit, original, stage 2 boss.

I'm still trying to figure out the scoring system- the shmups board goes on and on about using the tap both shoot buttons trick to keep your counter higher (causes all options to stop shooting). I try to do that as much as possible, but I'm having a hard time telling how much of a difference it makes, score-wise.

One more question- do you get penalized, counter-wise, for using full-auto instead of holding the regular fire button (and thus avoiding the speed reduction)?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I haven't spent much time with this, but wow has Arika spoiled me. This port seems weak compared to the options and polish on DDP DOJ and Espgaluda. The scrolling looks weird as hell and the yoko looks pretty bad. Even in tate it was looking strange to me. I dunno...just a first impression, I'm sure I'll learn to ignore it once I get hooked.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Mushiki- My fucking god, what a score! Was your partner an experience shmuper too? Wow.

I went to the gamecenter, here's my best score with one credit:

Mode: Original
Type S
Stage 4
Score: 4,213,346

I think my macine is set to a default of four lives. I lost 3 lives on stage 4 :( Haven't memorized any of the bugs bullet patters, so the fast shooting ones got me.

The graphics are so detailed. The second level boss, right when you reach him you can see his buddies in the background. I didn't notice that till today. Can't wait to get farther in this game. I'm going to have to buy the ps2 port soon.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
24,273,245 / All stages complete, 1 credit, Original Mode

I wasn't playing alone though ;)

My partner's score was lower anyway, heh

So with your score I am guessing that you ended with 4,273,245 points and had two lives left that gave you the 20 million correct? Thats the main key to getting an excellent score, if you no miss the entire game thats a free 60 million points.

I still cant get past the giant dragon flies at the end of stage 4 but I have only been playing 2 days though.

slerch666

updyke,
Mine showed up today (actually, it turned up yesterday but no one was around to sign for it, so I had to make a trip to the PO for it).

I played through it once, and I have to say that the scoring system, as has already been stated, seems much, much simpler than ESPGaluda. The bomb option also makes it seem more like a "standard" shooter as well. That's not a bad thing at all.

One thing that DOES piss me off, is the complete lack of optical output support! WTF!? They had optical output on ESPGaluda, and now they break Mushime-sama? WTF? I had just finished Sakura Taisen V and put the game in. When the attract mode started playing and I still wasn't getting any sound, I knew something was wrong. I checked to make sure my receiver was on the proper input and fucked with the volume a bit (both in game and on the receiver). Turned the system off, unplugged the optical cable, turned it back on and fuck if it didn't work. Bullshit.

Other than the technical issue, however, I'm pretty happy over all with the LE package. The figure that came with it reminds me of the quality of the figure that came with Shikigami no Shiro II. I will say that anyone who likes Reko should buy the OST ASAP. The figure that comes with that is 1000x better than the one that comes with the LE of the game.

As far as my score goes... I'm not going to post my pitiful high score. I did make it onto the score board, but not by much! lol

I put it on 6 lives and left it on 3 bombs, playing original mode.

So does anyone want pics of the LE or screen shots of anything? I had someone tell me they liked the threads I made where I went pic crazy, but if no one's interested, I'm not gonna bother.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I got the game today as well (along w/ Taito Memories) but i don't have a console to play it on! This will be remedied soon though, and in the meantime i'll just gaze longingly at the box.

As for scoring: has anybody investigated the autofire options?

BIG

sony fanboy
slerch666 said:
One thing that DOES piss me off, is the complete lack of optical output support! WTF!? They had optical output on ESPGaluda, and now they break Mushime-sama? WTF?

Two different companies ported these games. Arika ported ESPG,Taito did Mushihimesama.

B-

slerch666

updyke,
BIG said:
Two different companies ported these games. Arika ported ESPG,Taito did Mushihimesama.

B-
Which actually explains other things as well, I would think.

Such as:

No scoring video
Lack of some options (how many tate versions where there on ESPGaluda?)
Pause menu being a little more friendly in Mushi (imo)

Still there is no reason at this point in the PS2's life cycle why they wouldn't ensure optical support. Last game I can recall that I bought that had that issue was Gradius IV (US version). And that was released eons ago in terms of releases. And if I remember correctly, Gradius IV would play through optical on the opening video, then drop out when you actually wanted to play the game.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
slerch666 said:
Lack of some options (how many tate versions where there on ESPGaluda?)

Tate and tatehosei in both normal and reversed fashion. So you can place your TV the wrong way and still not have to be upside down to play the game.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
slerch666 said:
Other than the technical issue, however, I'm pretty happy over all with the LE package. The figure that came with it reminds me of the quality of the figure that came with Shikigami no Shiro II. I will say that anyone who likes Reko should buy the OST ASAP. The figure that comes with that is 1000x better than the one that comes with the LE of the game.

So does anyone want pics of the LE or screen shots of anything? I had someone tell me they liked the threads I made where I went pic crazy, but if no one's interested, I'm not gonna bother.

PICCCCSSSSSS PLEAAAASE!!

Well you don't have to because it might annoy others, but I am so chuffed with the LE versions of the game (just got it today) and the sountrack (I am so glad i picked that up - all thanks to your original post).

Anyways, yes I agree that the soundtrack figure is better, but the whole lot is so awesome - I really love the phonecard thing and the large poster too!

I have yet to actually play the game, but I will prolly fire it up on Sat /Sun after I TATE my telly.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I think I seriously damaged my eyes.

I played 6 hours of mushi straight, with my tv in Tate mode, and I was about 3 feet from the screen (trying to simulate the arcade feel as much as possible.)

After, everytime I closed my eyes I would see purple bullets. I dreamed about complex bullet patterns.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
RBjakeSpecial said:
I dreamed about complex bullet patterns.

I can only imagine that it wasn't good sleep. I have to get the PCB for this, it sounds really good.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Finally got the game today... wow.

I really dig the improved slow-down/charge weapon system, at least the difference between normal and charge shot isn't as huge as in ESPGaluda or DDP: DoJ it seems.

The bullet patterns are nice... I also like the "no miss" bonus, it's really a cool reward for one-life runs.

I still have to find out about some scoring/bonus aspects... for example, do you get a score multiplier for the triangular gold pieces when charge-shooting only? I feel there's a lot of potential in that. Which gold pieces give the most points?

My scores so far are nothing special, reached stage 3 boss on one cred. on the first run on normal diff (original mode) with 3-something million points, but I have to practise the patterns more. Thank god most of the bigger enemies in the first three levels look huge but aren't really that difficult to get rid of.

Maniac mode is fun too... overall, an excellent package... will keep me busy for a while.

Cave, thanks for a phat chunk of 2D shmup love!
icon29.gif

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Takumaji said:
Cave, thanks for a phat chunk of 2D shmup love!
icon29.gif

Mmm... 2D shmup chunks.

Can't wait to get my hands on this one. Have other priorities at the moment other than games. Hopefully I'll catch someone getting rid of their copy in the coming months. :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
4 more hours down the road... what a game! Graphics are tops, died a few times just because I kept watching the backs and all the action on screen...

It's quite easy up to level 3, then the fun begins for me. Level 3 seems to be a constant boss fight, sometimes I can hardly spot where to aim at.

No score improvements so far, I'm stuck in the 3 mill. region, have to work out some strats to get a no-miss bonus for level 3... haha...

So basically, it seems you simply have to aim for a one-life run to get proper scores... shudder... :)

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I'm working on getting levels 1-3 no miss. Level 3 always takes me 2 lives to get through :(

Here's some tough spots that I learned how to get through from watching people in the arcade.

S-Mode for speed.

I find through the level a bobbing back and forth figure 8 type manuever work really well. Especially on the worm enemies that come out of the arms.

Right before the boss you have to kill the giant beasts head. Go to the bottom of the screen and wait for the bullets to come from the 2 arms. Bomb the head once right before they hit you and its gone.

Level 4 is really hard. I don't think it's really as hard as level 3 but the bullets are really really fast and the bugs get harder.

My strat for the green beetles is hitting them with a charge shot then moving far right/far left away from them.

Goddamn this game is beautiful. I hate bugs. I love killing them!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Right before the boss you have to kill the giant beasts head. Go to the bottom of the screen and wait for the bullets to come from the 2 arms. Bomb the head once right before they hit you and its gone.

BUT, dont miss that 1up!

If you destroy all eight segments of the arms (4 segments per arm) BEFORE destroying the head a 1up will pop out. :cool:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
DUDE! WoW didn't know that! Looks like I'm going to have to rework my level 3 strat. Thank you!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Getting better at level 3. Flying a "flat 8" + a bit of tapping inbetween works wonders! :)

My fave ship by far is M-Power (green), followed by S. W is too damn slow, but it's fun cleaning the screen with its high attack power.

There are slowdowns when the screen is packed with bullets and enemy ships, are they in the arcade original as well? It's not annoying or something (hell, I don't even mind the slowdowns in Slug 2), I just want to know.

Man, maniac mode is cool as hell, there even are some extra scoring options and the bullet patterns become insane in later levels.

Overall, it seems the graphics designer put way more thought into Mushihime than other titles like ESPG or DDP DoJ, specially some of the backs and sprites in the latter look quite generic. The backs in Mushihme are very cool tho, with lots of action, color and awesome sprites/objects, like the giant beetle boss in level one or the dragon-like thing in level 3, but I also dig some smaller stuff like the butterflies and other mecha insects...

Dunno about you guys, but I sometimes get a Deja Vu feeling when playing the game... I've seen these color-cycling butterflies somewhere before... then there's the Konami-esque weapon upgrade with the small plane 'options" for the M-Power ship... level 2 boss also rings a bell... heh...

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
There are slowdowns when the screen is packed with bullets and enemy ships, are they in the arcade original as well? It's not annoying or something (hell, I don't even mind the slowdowns in Slug 2), I just want to know.

The slowdown is in the same places. I went from playing the arcade everyday to the ps2 version. The slowdown is the same but it seems a little jerkier on the ps2, I think it's a little smoother in the PCB, but I don't think it's too different.

The biggest difference for me is the colors. Mostly cause it's going from a monitor to my lame TV.

I completely agree about more love being poured into this. It's all the rich detail and animation. Everything is pulsating and moving. It's so good. I enjoy watching other people play cause usually there's some graphical detail I missed.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I just got this game in today and have been playing it like a maniac. I've been trying to study the different ship types, scoring, shot types, and so much more about the game. I of course dropped by www.shumps.com and checked out the info they had over there. Check out this thread:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4049

Yes, it's long, and sometimes confusing, but if you read through it carefully, you'll find some really good tips and strategies.

The game looks amazing. Cave really raised the bar and made an amazing looking shooter with a great ambience and look to it. Well, I'm off to play more and see if I can get my score up.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Fuck yeah, got my first run through levels 1-3 without dying yesterday, then got utterly owned in level 4, finished with 4,323,320. I let out a joyous howl when I watched that level three boss die. Gonna play it some more today.

Yes, getting that 1up from the giant bug in level 3 rocks.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I just got done playing through arrange mode and I'm liking it more then the arcade mode. The score, is of course, bigger, but they make things better in my opinion. You have 6 options instead of just 4 in normal arcade. Also, the bomb system is really nice. Instead of shooting it off when you think you may be in trouble, you only shoot it off when you get hit, but, you don't die. Your bombs act as a "life" in sorts where it will clear the screen, but you keep all the gold that you've gotten up to that point. It really makes you focus on your playing. I got through some situations, that I might have used a bomb on before, with no bomb and was amazed I could make it through. Still a great game and need to play a little more to get mmy score up.

My best score in arcade is 4,451,342

I need to get even better, so time to get back to playing.