Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Black widow started out good. I really liked the relationship she had with her long lost sister.

Then they ruined taskmaster and the movie went downhill. But i aint going to lie. I liked the family dynamic they gave her just wished the movie didnt turn into a washover afterwards.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Jonathan Hex went in with low expectations as it's a comic adaptation and I don't typically like westerns but it was a fun movie. Nothing great but I don't think it's a waste of time and parts reminded me of the Wild Wild West tv show which I did like.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Making wishes on superhero movies not being turd piles… interesting.

I just want them to be fun entertainment. I’m not expecting high brow art, or even a good drama, just entertain me.

Sometimes the marvel movies do, sometimes they don’t.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just want them to be fun entertainment. I’m not expecting high brow art, or even a good drama, just entertain me.

Sometimes the marvel movies do, sometimes they don’t.
What’s entertaining about this genre of movie? That people have super powers and are somehow more good than other people? That the superhero beats up the bank robber that robs from the rich?

like why the fuck does the Punisher care about bank robbers? Just take the money. Give your children a better life. Nope, kill em all.

No American dream for anyone with a low credit score.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The Punisher cares about bank robbers, and other criminals, because his wife and children were killed by criminals. His methods are extreme, but, by eliminating criminals altogether, he arguably saves lives and protects others from experiencing the loss and grief that he did. The ethics of what he does are certainly questionable and one man being judge, jury, and executioner can very easily go awry--it's easy to tell very black and white stories in fictional media, where Frank's prey clearly "deserve" his take on justice, but, things are often much muddier in the real world.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Punisher cares about bank robbers, and other criminals, because his wife and children were killed by criminals. His methods are extreme, but, by eliminating criminals altogether, he arguably saves lives and protects others from experiencing the loss and grief that he did. The ethics of what he does are certainly questionable and one man being judge, jury, and executioner can very easily go awry--it's easy to tell very black and white stories in fictional media, where Frank's prey clearly "deserve" his take on justice, but, things are often much muddier in the real world.
No shit. And his mo is stupid af.

he isn’t making the world better or safer. The shitheads (government, wealthy elite) who control the world that killed his family continue and thrive. The monsters? Just tools. Cut the finger off a lizard and watch it grow back.

realize that Batman and Superman are lizard people - your heroes are all frauds. Your dreams, lies.

The elite caste makes thieves of common people to give the masses a common enemy of no significance.

@M

20 Year Member
If Punisher kills a man who was going to shoot up or blow up a school, he did make a difference. Those children and teachers will live and do things they wouldn't have been able to do if they were dead. Their parents' and families' lives won't be ruined. The survivors' lives and actions will touch others and spread. Maybe one of those kids will grow up to be a serial killer too, but, none can say.

Superman believes in Good Wasabi and so do I.

Superheroes represent an impossible ideal, but, self-sacrifice to help others is a worthwhile goal regardless of whether you wear your briefs outside your pants or not. Superhero movies inspire us and renew our faith in humanity and each other.

Emulating Punisher probably wouldn't be the best idea though...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Superman is status quo biased

a true super man would stop trying on this futile plane, move to the surface of Mars, and create something new and beautiful, for himself.

@M

20 Year Member
That's what Dr. Manhattan did.

But, no, Superman's selfless service to others is what truly makes him super.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's what Dr. Manhattan did.

But, no, Superman's selfless service to others is what truly makes him super.
Maybe it’s just virtue signaling. Maybe it’s part of his alpha game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
like why the fuck does the Punisher care about bank robbers? Just take the money. Give your children a better life. Nope, kill em all.
I don't care about Frank Castle's motivation, it just gives him enough of a stupid reason to shoot people in the face. That is all I need.

Howard the Duck- I bought the 4k release at Walmart. Since this movie is now owned by Disney it was on an end cap with other newer release Marvel movies. I have a feeling some people may have gotten more than they bargained for just judging by the cover and store placement.

Crappieness and weirdness aside I enjoy the movie. Lea Thompson is hot and there are some cool effects. It fits in to the time period where Hollywood was okaying all kinds of weird shit like Buckaroo Banzai and Streets of Fire. Make no mistake though it is a confused and often grating piece of shit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Singular idiot, not plural.

He's the equivalent to an uncle acting surprised when their nephew tells them there are numbers bigger than 100.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wrapped up a rewatch of all extended LotR and Hobbit movies.....Hobbit is almost 10 years old.
I recall Hobbit movies being all over the place, but the extended versions are really a mess. I have the same opinion as I did during the theatrical releases. The story additions in the movies are just awful. Nothing new to report. Martin Freeman is the only thing that saves this series. I can't believe we waited 4 years to see the entire hobbit series in the theatre.

The amazon series is supposed to start this year. Cautiously optimistic.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Wrapped up a rewatch of all extended LotR and Hobbit movies.....Hobbit is almost 10 years old.
I recall Hobbit movies being all over the place, but the extended versions are really a mess. I have the same opinion as I did during the theatrical releases. The story additions in the movies are just awful. Nothing new to report. Martin Freeman is the only thing that saves this series. I can't believe we waited 4 years to see the entire hobbit series in the theatre.

The amazon series is supposed to start this year. Cautiously optimistic.

Casting / character design for the dwarves was just so bad...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Casting / character design for the dwarves was just so bad...
Writers Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Jason Cahill (The Sopranos) and Justin Doble (Stranger Things) are also EPs, as are Lindsey Weber (10 Cloverfield Lane), Bruce Richmond (Game of Thrones), Callum Greene (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker) and former Amazon head of genre Sharon Tal Yguado. Bryan Cogman (Game of Thrones), who served as a consulting producer on season one, has departed to focus on development. Former EP Gene Kelly has also departed the series.

This seems so bad. Cloverfield, RoSW, and GoT losers? Fuck no.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
1000% There are a handful that worked, and the others were ridiculous. Dwalin and Balin being good.
When Amazon took over The Expanse, it pretty much stayed the same. Same production quality, same actors. This makes me feel LotR could be fine. It’s limited to the books, which does put a cap on things. It can be planned and budgeted.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think the Expanse is only getting one more season :(

Damnit. I’m going to have to read the books now.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The TV show can only cover stuff from the novels and appendices. They don't get access to the Silmarillion or other Tolkien lore.