Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Popped in the first Terminator film last night. I've of course seen it multiple times but I still think it's better than Terminator 2.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When I think of the Lost Highway soundtrack, it's always that popular trip hop of the time. They were some sexy scenes.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Perfect Drug is still my favorite NIN song of all-time. That is indeed a fantastic soundtrack.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, murdering his wife was to feel less like a cuck, and then creating the persona of Pete was a coping mechanism to deal with having murdered her.

I think we’re on the same page.

Which is better than the old “his movies aren’t supposed to make sense.”

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Popped in the first Terminator film last night. I've of course seen it multiple times but I still think it's better than Terminator 2.

They're kind of different beasts but I would tend to agree. T2 is an all-time great popcorn movie and one of the greatest technical achievements in cinema history but I prefer the original's smaller scope and how impressive it looks and feels on such a small budget (even if some of the effects are pretty bad nowadays). Personal preference of course.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
They're kind of different beasts but I would tend to agree. T2 is an all-time great popcorn movie and one of the greatest technical achievements in cinema history but I prefer the original's smaller scope and how impressive it looks and feels on such a small budget (even if some of the effects are pretty bad nowadays). Personal preference of course.

I like the menacing horror of the Terminator way better. One of the most badass villains ever. Of course, when I was little, T2 was fucking awesome for all the reasons you described. But rewatching them as an adult, I find very little rewatch value in T2 because it's an emotional epic filled with actions and a few too many car scenes.

Terminator has this fucking cool, perfect capturing of... the humanoid that is Skynets creation.... my endorphins were on fire during the scene where he's doing repairs on himself , puts on the sunglasses, and exits through the window with heavy artillery and a leather jacket. That's my man right there!!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Gate. I forgot Stephen Dorf didn't have a neck when he was a child.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Gate. I forgot Stephen Dorf didn't have a neck when he was a child.

Damn, I haven’t seen The Gate since I was a teen. Loved it. I don’t recall ever seeing the sequel.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The latest Mission Impossible film is pretty good right? At least better than 5 (which I hated)? Might check it out tomorrow.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd agree that The Terminator is a better film than Terminator 2. It's less polished than its sequel but I think that's part of what makes it stronger to me.

I watched the original Dawn of the Dead with my wife tonight. Watching it as an adult in his 40s is a vastly different experience than it was when I was in my teens or 20s. There is a whole lot more going on in this film than I initially perceived. I could write a film school thesis about this film's artistic complexity. There is so much that could be mined just from the opening shot of the TV station in its death throes. That, in and of itself, is a microcosm of a lot of the film's theme. Same goes for the raid on the projects that follows it.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Hereditary: First half, really creepy and suspense. Second half, goofy and derivative, borderline on comedy.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Green Room: A young punk band plays a skinhead venue and witness a murder. The skinheads try to kill them to protect their own kind. Nothing amazing but well done.

Murder Party: A loner finds an invitation to a Halloween party. The party is actually a group of self-absorbed avant garde artists who want to incorporate murder into their work. Pretty funny.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Green Room: A young punk band plays a skinhead venue and witness a murder. The skinheads try to kill them to protect their own kind. Nothing amazing but well done.

Murder Party: A loner finds an invitation to a Halloween party. The party is actually a group of self-absorbed avant garde artists who want to incorporate murder into their work. Pretty funny.

I stumbled across Murder Party yesterday too. I loved that they had one of the killers dress up as Priss from blade runner, and another as a baseball player from The Warriors. It was a stupid movie but I enjoyed it regardless for the depiction of the college art crowd.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'd agree that The Terminator is a better film than Terminator 2. It's less polished than its sequel but I think that's part of what makes it stronger to me.

I watched the original Dawn of the Dead with my wife tonight. Watching it as an adult in his 40s is a vastly different experience than it was when I was in my teens or 20s. There is a whole lot more going on in this film than I initially perceived. I could write a film school thesis about this film's artistic complexity. There is so much that could be mined just from the opening shot of the TV station in its death throes. That, in and of itself, is a microcosm of a lot of the film's theme. Same goes for the raid on the projects that follows it.

More than the message about consumerism? Romero’s living dead movies moved from one ism to another (racism, consumerism, classism).

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
More than the message about consumerism? Romero’s living dead movies moved from one ism to another (racism, consumerism, classism).

Made more amusing by the fact that the racism stuff in Night of the Living Dead was completely unintentional. Totally poignant and revolutionary at the time it was made but Romero always insisted he never realized it until other people pointed it out to him and hired the guy who played Ben solely because he had the best audition.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You Were Never Really Here- Phenomenal in every aspect. I know people shit on Joaquin Phoenix after his shenanigans a few years ago but the dude can deliver. For example Inherent Vice.

JP plays an Iraq war vet with PTSD both from his experiences in war and his childhood who now tracks down children who have either run away or been kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery. Between his new assignment and his mental illness he ends up in a spiral of waking dreams and the horrible reality of what he does. Not a pleasant movie but an important one.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Made more amusing by the fact that the racism stuff in Night of the Living Dead was completely unintentional. Totally poignant and revolutionary at the time it was made but Romero always insisted he never realized it until other people pointed it out to him and hired the guy who played Ben solely because he had the best audition.

That's interesting, I never knew those themes were unintentional.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mission Impossible 6 - wow, best one since 3! 140 minutes long and not once was I tempted to check my phone for the time, there was never a moment for letting up on the action. Henry Cavill felt very hammy, especially his introduction - the way he talked reminded me of someone trying too hard to sound tough, I guess. Tom's looking old though, I guess he might have one more left in him.

I liked being able to look at Paris, and also european men's fashion. I need to start dressing like them.

edit: dang just realized Ethan's ex-wife's new husband is played by the same guy who was the creepy kid recording everything in American Beauty

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Tom's looking old though, I guess he might have one more left in him.

Haven't seen 6 yet, but one of the ongoing themes of the previous couple were that Ethan was getting too old for this shit, yet he still does it. I liked the fact that after being invincible in some of the earlier movies he was showing pain and fear, and wasn't sure if he could actually complete the task at hand sometimes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You Were Never Really Here- Phenomenal in every aspect. I know people shit on Joaquin Phoenix after his shenanigans a few years ago but the dude can deliver. For example Inherent Vice.

JP plays an Iraq war vet with PTSD both from his experiences in war and his childhood who now tracks down children who have either run away or been kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery. Between his new assignment and his mental illness he ends up in a spiral of waking dreams and the horrible reality of what he does. Not a pleasant movie but an important one.

Joaquin needs to make more movies.

So does Ethan Hawke.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Henry Cavill felt very hammy, especially his introduction - the way he talked reminded me of someone trying too hard to sound tough, I guess.
With Cavill, I think it comes down more to being someone who has to concentrate on maintaining the American accent, and sometimes losing a little naturalness because of it. It worked in Man From UNCLE, because the character was kind of hammy to begin with.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
With Cavill, I think it comes down more to being someone who has to concentrate on maintaining the American accent, and sometimes losing a little naturalness because of it. It worked in Man From UNCLE, because the character was kind of hammy to begin with.

I just want you to know that I had the same thought, except I didn't type it out

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

what kind of music do you listen to?

asking for LoneSage.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

Consumerism is, I think, the obvious one.

But the more interesting one to me is the irrational and illogical behavior that ultimately leads to humanity's downfall. There's a dissonant tone in the film that forms an inescapable conundrum.

In order for mankind to deal with this threat, it has to engage in sociopath behavior. Detach emotionally. React logically. Deal with the threat efficiently.

And yet, at the same time, to do so moves us further away from our humanity. Humanity is the problem, not the zombies. The film is basically saying once they show up, we're incapable of dealing with the problem because without even realizing it, we will aid and abet our own extinction. Once cohesion breaks down and hierarchical factionalism sets in, we're just prey waiting to be hunted down and devoured.

It's a pretty nihilistic film, in my opinion. As a collective, we're fucked because we're barely functional as a single body. Our time is done.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Consumerism is, I think, the obvious one.

But the more interesting one to me is the irrational and illogical behavior that ultimately leads to humanity's downfall. There's a dissonant tone in the film that forms an inescapable conundrum.

In order for mankind to deal with this threat, it has to engage in sociopath behavior. Detach emotionally. React logically. Deal with the threat efficiently.

And yet, at the same time, to do so moves us further away from our humanity. Humanity is the problem, not the zombies. The film is basically saying once they show up, we're incapable of dealing with the problem because without even realizing it, we will aid and abet our own extinction. Once cohesion breaks down and hierarchical factionalism sets in, we're just prey waiting to be hunted down and devoured.

It's a pretty nihilistic film, in my opinion. As a collective, we're fucked because we're barely functional as a single body. Our time is done.

Sadly this describes TWD. But yes, the main antagonist in Dawn is the biker gang coming to steal all the shit they don’t need. In Day it is the military crew, demanding authority in circumstances they don’t understand. In Land it’s Dennis Hopper, and his apartheid system.

I feel like in all of those movies you could say it’s about TWD, but really they’re more focused on whatever ism George was focused on. Everything else is collateral. Of course, the story about Night of the Living Dead stumbling on racism makes a lot of sense, but after that, it probably stumbled on being like The Walking Dead.