Most bootlegged MVS games

chrd

n00b
What are - in your experience - the most frequently bootlegged games (apart from Puzzle Bobble)?

So far in two years of looking at many MVS carts I've only seen bootlegs of:

- Nightmare in teh Dark (that was on the label, no typo) :D
- Sengoku 3

Did I luck out, are there less boots in Europe, or is piracy not as rampant in MVS as we tend to assume sometimes?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Do you mean old asian bootlegs or recent scalper bootlegs made from original parts?

If old, then Puzzle Bobble and just about any KOF or late SNK fighter.

If new, don't really see too many being made. There's Irritating Maze, but most modern MVS boots are of "safe" titles, ones with no MVS release.

chrd

n00b
I was referring to "old" bootlegs.

Interesting that series of KOF were often booted. This might explain why I've not ran into many boots (since I'm not really into most fighters).

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
+1 for Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move, on the MVS.

And Neo Turf Masters, on the AES.

I actually fee bad for people how want to get an original copy of these games.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Metal Slug 5 has more than a few bootlegs... as does Metal Slug 1, for some bizarre reason.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I've run into Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move and Metal Slug boots most often. Seen quite a few MS4 bootlegs as well.

1up

Galford's Armourer
I have encountered many neo bomberman, ultimate 11 and puzzle de pon boots since i start collecting.

chrd

n00b
I have encountered many neo bomberman, ultimate 11 and puzzle de pon boots since i start collecting.

That reminds me.... I actually forgot that I've owned a Neo Bomberman boot too at one point (with Spanish in-game text, ...). And I remember seeing a Pop'n Bounce boot too. I've not seen a MS boot so far.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I've had a Breakers 100% boot cart. A Slug 5 Plus. SVC Plus. Over Top boot on legit SNK boards.

I've avoided the Puzzle Bobble, Neo Bomberman, and KoF boots.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Definitely Puzzle Bobble. It seems the most counterfeited MVS game. It's hard to get an original one. I have also boots of KoF 2000 and 2001. Also got a boot of Metal Slug 3, but when I found it was boot, I asked the seller to replace it, which he did without issue. Recently, my Blazing Star is all original parts but the CHA board is a 256 instead of a 512Y which suggests it might be a boot. Also my Sengoku 3 has all original, matching parts, but the solderings on the CHA board are obviously hand-made.

Regards.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos

I've seen quite a lot of them.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I currently have a puzzle bobble, strikers 1945 plus, metal slug 5, neo bomberman at the moment. All of which I got under the assumption they were legit. The people I bought them off of didn't genuinely know about boots but now I'm kinda stuck with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XiTaU

n00b
puzzle bobble, svc chaos (plus) and neo bomberman are the most common ive seen

but puzzle bobble has to be no1 seen so many boot copies.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Recently, my Blazing Star is all original parts but the CHA board is a 256 instead of a 512Y which suggests it might be a boot.

You need to take a pic of that board. It must have some sort of wiring patch job.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The only boots that I've come across were Magical Drop II and Super Dodge Ball.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

It's weird how there are Puzzle de Pon boots, but you don't see any for Puzzle de Pon R.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Grandest boot I hVe come across was pochi and nyaa on a aes lol. But as all have said MS1, PB, strikers 1945+, nightmare in the dark.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
The 2 bootlegs I've run into the most are puzzle bobble and SVC chaos. I've had a real hard time finding originals.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
The board I would probably consider to be the most booted would be Puzzle Bobble.

However, out of my collection I only have 2 boots that I am aware of (need to check two of my newest carts for authenticity): Neo Mr. Do and SVC Chaos +.

The Neo Mr. Do was purchased at a very low price because the seller figured it was a boot, one board looked legit so I took a chance.. He was right, definite boot, but I got it at a boot price, so I am not mad. SVC Chaos, I wanted the bootleg + version just for some of the features, so I was looking for the bootleg.

Now games I have looked for and found repeated bootlegs being sold seems to be NITD and Zupapa, but the only reason I think that I found a lot of boots of those two is just how long I was actively looking for those two carts. Oddly enough, I have come across 2 Puzzle Bobbles and both are legit.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I used to see a lot of bootleg Neo Mr.Do games. Metal Slug 6 comes to mind as well. I forget what game Metal Slug 6 is a hack of but it seems to be around a lot on ebay as well.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I used to see a lot of bootleg Neo Mr.Do games. Metal Slug 6 comes to mind as well. I forget what game Metal Slug 6 is a hack of but it seems to be around a lot on ebay as well.

Metal slug 3.