Most accessible fighter for MVS

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'm not that great at fighters, but can do fairly well at Kizuna Encounter, MotW, and SSVS.

I'm slightly surprised Kizuna hasn't been brought up yet...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
But RBS is two planes though, I don't get you. Also Samsho 4 is not noob friendly...no way. Same thing for KOF 99 and up. I guess if you just play the game halfway it could be noob friendly but then again the same could be said of all fighters...

I was making two separate statements there. The first being how the 2 plains ruins FF for me, and the second being my opinion of noob friendly fighting games. RBFFS is easy to get into, I disagree with earlier KOF titles because they are less forgiving on move execution. Where as 98/99 and up are much more relaxed. Maybe it's because I played SS4 so much but to me it's much easier than 1 or 2. Also feels more polished.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
I was making two separate statements there. The first being how the 2 plains ruins FF for me, and the second being my opinion of noob friendly fighting games. RBFFS is easy to get into, I disagree with earlier KOF titles because they are less forgiving on move execution. Where as 98/99 and up are much more relaxed. Maybe it's because I played SS4 so much but to me it's much easier than 1 or 2. Also feels more polished.

Totally different for me. 4 feels totally unpolished compared to 2 to me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Totally different for me. 4 feels totally unpolished compared to 2 to me.

Presentation "polish" and command laxness/strictness are separate things.

Someone afraid of 2D fighting games is going to accidentally pull off/mash out stuff in SSIV. They might feel a bit less alienated as a result.

They're not going to do much in SSII

SO, going back to the OP: Games with strict input commands aren't going to be accessible for a noob/scrub, regardless of how good the game is going to be.

Last edited:

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Another vote for garou myself.

Small, but good roster. Accessible moveset. No background/foreground planes. Character appearance ties to their play-style... though could have maybe done with a slightly more grapply-grappler if that makes sense.

Once you get into it a bit further all those small regular gameplay commands that just expand the game's depth - parries/dash/hops/feints/dodges and rolling ... Perhaps nothing that many kofs have to offer but to me the general rhythm of play feels a little smoother (slower?) than kof's... plus just that smaller roster.

Only downside is potential cost, though that xbox 360 version makes it pretty accessible to modern crowd... did it ever make it to wii?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Garou and kof95 for me. KoF 98 is very accessible too, IMO.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
King of Fighters is accessible..they are easy to learn but hard to master. The AI difficulty isnt too bad, FFS is great but the AI is killer.. same with most earlier fighters

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Early SNK motions aren't friendly at all. KOF, FFS, RB, Samsho, LB, none of that, stick to Garou and Brakers for accessible games if you want casual gamers to gain some interest.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
These......

-World heroes 2 jet
-Breakers Revenge
-Kof 98
-Kizuna Encounter
-Real Bout 2
- snk vs capcom

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
... now this would be a good poll.

FWIW, Samurai Showdon II isn't hard to figure out, at least in terms of beating the CPU.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
For what its worth, I would like to add the first MVS fighter that I 1CC'd without cheating or having to use cheap tactics was SSVS.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Mark of the Wolves is easy to learn & hard to master, which makes it a very accessible game for non-professionals. Also the first Last Blade is worth a look, especially if you play with Moriya. Here, you don't really need any special moves at all, just a good jump/dash rhythm. KoF '97, '98 & 2K on the other hand have all easy to pull special moves. You can have fun with them, without the need to dig deeper into their engines.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
isn't it true that later KOFs are more generous with their input windows? If so, I'd imagine those would be more accessible to people who are not familiar with fighters much and just google moves for their roster than the earlier ones.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
isn't it true that later KOFs are more generous with their input windows? If so, I'd imagine those would be more accessible to people who are not familiar with fighters much and just google moves for their roster than the earlier ones.

Might depend on the style, for instance I generally don't bother learning any special moves; unless its movement related and easy to pull off. I just keep it simple, block; wait for an opportunity; and poke them.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Breakers Revenge.

By far, the most accessible.

DaoLong & Tia are my preferred combatants but they're all pretty solid overall. Not an Alsion fan though...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gowcaizer, Rage of the Dragons and Double Dragon are pretty accessible as well.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
DD is tops. My Abobo is legendary and fucking annoying :D

Even posted a combo/strat thread about it many moons ago... good times.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
World Heroes did a good job of reproducing a lot of the SFII experience for me and my friends back in the day.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Imho, go for any of the bread 'n butter MVS carts that look fun, float your boat, and turn up good and cheap.

Breakers, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Showdown 2, King of Fighters 94~98 & 2k2, Real Bout Special, World Heroes 2, or a bootleg SvC Chaos cart w/ all the bosses unlocked.

If in doubt, just get a multi-cart.

What do you guys think is the most accessible fighting game for fighting game noobs on the MVS?

I'm not generally a fighting game fan (I know, I know, why the hell did I buy a MVS). Used to play a ton of SFII with friends "back in the day". Just looking for easy and fun to play without having to memorize 80 different moves for 12 different fighters.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Do you have access to emulation? That's really the best tool when it comes to deciding what games to get on the Neo. What others might think of as filler might just be the game you actually connect with and viceversa, don't miss out on the opportunity of checking things on your own.