The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The neogeo sendoff ?
Ahaha that was slug3 ffs
Why are you always so wrong

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I can only imagine you are younger and got into neogeo and arcade hardware in the last few years, there can't be any other reason why you are so woefully uninformed

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The neogeo sendoff ?
Ahaha that was slug3 ffs
Why are you always so wrong
yeah...the last Slug on the platform...def not a hard concept unless you just feel like being contrary lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I can only imagine you are younger and got into neogeo and arcade hardware in the last few years, there can't be any other reason why you are so woefully uninformed
lets see....no...and no. I've been collecting for Neo Geo for 17 years and also I am not young :ROFLMAO: knocking on the door to 40

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I think 5 is worse tbh
Sorry... 5>4 strictly for the fact of the absolutely METAL sound track it has with another absolutely METAL induced end boss. If only 4 and 5 weren't in Mono only..... *Sigh*

NexusX

Astra Superstar
What should they have done? Or are you just lamenting the hardware and memory limitations in general?
I understand there were hardware restrictions. But stereo Metal Slug music is wonderful. I. Just saying it would have been nice if those entries has stereo music as well.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
its been half an hour and Kernow hasn't responded...hope he's ok!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
its been half an hour and Kernow hasn't responded...hope he's ok!

He's probably too reviled by the fact you try to tie Gun Force 2 into the Metal Slug series.

Personally, the link is tenuous. Yes, key people on GF2 were on MS when they moved from Irem to Nazca, but for me the only link is they're run'n'guns.

Metal Slug is just carrying forward a graphical style that began with R-Type 2 at Irem, probably best seen with In The Hunt.

I don't think they're any more connected than Moon Patrol is to R-Type.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
He's probably too reviled by the fact you try to tie Gun Force 2 into the Metal Slug series.

Personally, the link is tenuous. Yes, key people on GF2 were on MS when they moved from Irem to Nazca, but for me the only link is they're run'n'guns.

Metal Slug is just carrying forward a graphical style that began with R-Type 2 at Irem, probably best seen with In The Hunt.

^ that
It has nothing to do with the metal slug series apart from certain people working on both

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I couldn't disagree more...in a nice way :) there is such a thematic / stylistic connection between the two. It's like the gaming equivelent of watching a directors early films then something 10 years later. Even though the story is different there is such a connection between the body of work

or even painters works...seeing how inspiration was formed from past works and certain things carried forward

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
This is geostorm II
. . you've probably never heard of it

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I couldn't disagree more...in a nice way :) there is such a thematic / stylistic connection between the two. It's like the gaming equivelent of watching a directors early films then something 10 years later. Even though the story is different there is such a connection between the body of work

or even painters works...seeing how inspiration was formed from past works and certain things carried forward

Well... you've kind of agreed with what I've said, but we have different interpretations of how strong the link is.

There are graphical similiarities and some of the sound effects are carried over (although iirc Hiya! said the latter was down to time constraints), but they're two completely different games that happen to be in the same genre to me.

I wouldn't call Hard Boiled the progenitor to Hard Target... but there are some stylistic similarities.

I wouldn't say 1941 is the progenitor to Empire of the Sun either... nor Schindlers List.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I understand there were hardware restrictions. But stereo Metal Slug music is wonderful. I. Just saying it would have been nice if those entries has stereo music as well.
I don't get the point of singling out the stereo/mono issue. It's completely separate technology and different people beginning with MS4. Without special hardware, you have to pick internal synth stereo or pre-recorded mono. You can't have both.

well if you read the comments on the video...you'd be right! haha

next voiceover I do I will say "unless you are Kernow you've probably never heard of it" :ROFLMAO:
Aren't these videos already made like a half year in advance?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I owned Gun Force 2, it was a mess of a game. It's also pretty boring once you get past all the chaos and gimmicks.

An interesting oddity and fun for a few credits but not much more. Not a lot of depth to be had.

I'd say it has more in common with Gunstar Heroes than MS gameplay wise.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would go as far to call it Metal Slug - 0
Simple sprite swap on main characters, and it's a metal slug game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I would go as far to call it Metal Slug - 0
Simple sprite swap on main characters, and it's a metal slug game.
I’d go more “Metal Slug - no charm edition”....has all the mechanics and style of a Slug but none of the charm with Slug that everyone loves. Not a dig on it...it just plays it straight

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Never much of a fan of 6. It drags by stage 3 or so. The soundtrack is boring. I don't like the look of the lower res pixel art against the backgrounds.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Never much of a fan of 6. It drags by stage 3 or so. The soundtrack is boring. I don't like the look of the lower res pixel art against the backgrounds.
It’s funny either people really enjoy or really hate the new backgrounds. I for one enjoy them but I get why they could be disliked

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The backgrounds themselves are pretty good. I just don't like them with the old sprites.

6 is where the graphics stop having a consistent look, and the sprites start to look like they're on life support. It's the look of a company trying to squeeze the remaining life out of what they already have.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The backgrounds themselves are pretty good. I just don't like them with the old sprites.

6 is where the graphics stop having a consistent look, and the sprites start to look like they're on life support. It's the look of a company trying to squeeze the remaining life out of what they already have.
To me NeoWave always felt like the biggest “make a game with 10k and reused assets” thing SNK ever did