Metal Slug 7 official trailer

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Awesome more 2d cart goodness. I love the fact that the DS is the only card/cart system still pumping out 2d greatness.
I think contra, castlevania, nanostray, bungio sprites, Metal slug 7, bustamove, dodgeball, super tecmo bowl, new super mario bros,yoshi's island,Space invaders extreme, arknoid, kirby ect ect ect are great.
I would like to thank nintendo for still supporting 2d. You can call it shitty all you want but its not going to change anything. They will still pump out the greatness and I will be happy. I have all the new stuff out, DS,PSP,XBOX, 360,PS1,2,3,DC,Wii ect. I mostly play my 360,PSP and DS. The Wii is soso and the ps3 makes a good blu-ray player. I really hope the DS will see 2d support for the next five to ten more years.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think Jedah and BK are on extremes here,

nonetheless, I find it incredibly disheartening that Metal Slug 7 is on the DS and not in the arcade. I would've been fine with a sidestory like MS Advance, but the main series? Does this mean Slug has been relegated to handheld status now and forever?

It's just really sad to see such a classic, arcade series go the way it did after SNK-P took over...

I wish they'd take it out back and go Old Yeller on it. Please, no more hurting!~

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm more with Bonuskun, except that I'm more optimistic about SNK Playmore. I mean, KOF XII looks awesome, XI was good, 02 was okay, and Maximum Impact 2 was great. So there's always hope. I also thought all the new Metal Slugs were fine, but hate that it's going to be on the DS. I share Bonuskun's hate for the DS because of the simple fact that it's a retarded design (no game needs 2 screens, especially not on a portable) and has a vagina-y magic wand for a controller.

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
off topic:

im quoting this: "Did a Gameboy kill your mother? Or maybe it was a Game Gear that kicked your dog when you were a boy. Whatever it was, let it go man."

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
find it incredibly disheartening that Metal Slug 7 is on the DS and not in the arcade. I would've been fine with a sidestory like MS Advance, but the main series? Does this mean Slug has been relegated to handheld status now and forever?

After this release I'm pretty sure that any new releases of Metal Slug are forever doomed to be on a portable. Another great game in a series of classic SNK games ruined by SNK Playmore.

I share Bonuskun's hate for the DS because of the simple fact that it's a retarded design (no game needs 2 screens, especially not on a portable) and has a vagina-y magic wand for a controller.

I'll admit it.

I laughed.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's totally the right adjective too because the DS is for girls. Just like the Wii, and having an XBox 360 just to play XBox Live Arcade games. See, I put some thought into my choice of words.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm too old for choice of words. After dealing with Chris Mullins, Dion, Chris Ray and a slew of other colorful cornballs, I've just stopped caring about sugar sweetening my words.

The Neo Scene changed a lot of us in many ways. Some of it good. Some of it bad. All of it pure drama.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Contra 4 is a great game
Castlevania DS is a great game

But for some reason, in your world, because they were released on a handheld, they're shitty. That's got to be one of the sorriest excuses I've ever heard for hating a video game. So if it's not on a console or in the arcades, it's pure crap?

Your logic is full proof.

I have to agree with the others... If its not on a home console its a waste of time. DS sucks and there no way Im gonna buy games for it. I wish these great 2D games were on PS2 at least then I would buy them.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I have to agree with the others... If its not on a home console its a waste of time. DS sucks and there no way Im gonna buy games for it. I wish these great 2D games were on PS2 at least then I would buy them.

That's what makes no sense, just an open ended comment like "The DS sucks". As I said before, a system is defined by the games created for it, and the DS has a huge line-up of great games. Hey, if portables aren't your thing, that's a different story, but that doesn't detract from the library of games out for the system.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who couldn't stand handhelds until the GBA came out.

Fakk2

I just dont like playing games on Handhelds anymore. Even the PSP (that I love) nowadays is a bitch for me to play. It seems to kink my fucking neck and cramps my hands. I dont have anything against DS I just want some kickass 2D games playable on my TV set and used with a console controller. I find it much more comfortable and enjoyable. I cant stand 2D games only being on handhelds now...its soo damn sad.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I just dont like playing games on Handhelds anymore. Even the PSP (that I love) nowadays is a bitch for me to play. It seems to kink my fucking neck and cramps my hands. I dont have anything against DS I just want some kickass 2D games playable on my TV set and used with a console controller. I find it much more comfortable and enjoyable. I cant stand 2D games only being on handhelds now...its soo damn sad.

Get TV out cables for the PSP. A lot of the best gaming this "gen" is on handhelds.
Contra IV proved that this kind of thing can work really well on the DS. I mean, if that game had come out on the Genesis/SNES, it would've been considered a benchmark for console run n' gun. I for one am glad there are still companies like Wayforward(regardless of some of the licensed shit they churn out) and Orbital, etc etc etc keeping 2D action alive on the handhelds. Not to mention putting forward the odd new franchise.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
As I said before, a system is defined by the games created for it, and the DS has a huge line-up of great games.

I'm sure it does but it still doesn't make up for being a portable.

Hey, if portables aren't your thing, that's a different story, but that doesn't detract from the library of games out for the system.

Forever and will always be a console advocate. I'd already made my choice that while I love gaming, I don't like supporting a company that doesn't listen to it's customers.

Metal Slug 7 I'm sure along with a bunch of other titles on the system are great but like I always tried to hammer home, Some games should never be released on a portable 1st over a console. It just kills the enjoyment out of the game for me and a lot of others.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who couldn't stand handhelds until the GBA came out.

Believe it or not I actually think the PSP is ok. The DS I personally think is a piece of crap so to each their own. Games are great yeah but the system design is horrible.

Edit: Missed this..

You can call it shitty all you want but its not going to change anything. They will still pump out the greatness and I will be happy.

Never said it would change anything at all but it's not going to stop me from calling a turd a turd. I'm sure you can be as happy as much as you want. I already wrote off most of what SNK Playmore has done so far outside of recyclying SNK Properties into a massive amount of crap to saturate the market.

SNK Playmore doesn't have that "touch" you could call it. It's too business-like compared to the market we had. Some of you can accept it and still shell out money.

Me and a lot of others just choose to keep our money and not support a company looting off the corpse of what was once something great.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Get TV out cables for the PSP. A lot of the best gaming this "gen" is on handhelds.
Contra IV proved that this kind of thing can work really well on the DS. I mean, if that game had come out on the Genesis/SNES, it would've been considered a benchmark for console run n' gun. I for one am glad there are still companies like Wayforward(regardless of some of the licensed shit they churn out) and Orbital, etc etc etc keeping 2D action alive on the handhelds. Not to mention putting forward the odd new franchise.

Even if the DS had a TV out, BonusKun and crew would find a reason to hate it. The games play great on the DS, but because it's a crappy design (WTF?) and has two screens (Again WTF?), and other various BS reasoning, they will forever despise it.

Jaded fanboys unite!

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I bought two DS systems about a year ago. One pink, one white. I was a big fan of the psp but wanted some 2d stuff too play. DS has a ton of it and then some. I like the feel and design of it. I pray to god though, each time I buy a game I wont have to use the touch screen, some games are ok. I also hope I wont have to do this with Slug 7. Even if so, I cant wait to play it.

Fakk2

If the DS had TV output I would try it out with some 2D goodness thats for sure but it doesnt. PSP does have TV output but I hate the small nub analogue controller they make you use for its games... When the PSP games like Silent Hill Origins and Twisted Metal Head On came out for PS2 I was overjoyed to get to toss them in my PS2/PS3 and play them the way I like them. Damn shame as I used to love handhelds back in the day. TurboExpress, Nomad, and Game boy were hella fun. I guess I just eventually grew outta playing games on handhelds...I dunno. I just wish these great 2D games came out for PS2.

dark penguin

Even if the DS had a TV out, BonusKun and crew would find a reason to hate it. The games play great on the DS, but because it's a crappy design (WTF?) and has two screens (Again WTF?), and other various BS reasoning, they will forever despise it.

Jaded fanboys unite!

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of handheld systems. I'd be hardpressed to pick a favorite between the psp and ds. There is enough good stuff on both to keep me occupied for this entire console generation(if I buckled down and played it all).

I think a big point here is: after you have kids, handhelds are definitely your friend. Sounds stupid, but it's true. During the day, I would never be able to call dibs on one of the TVs for more than half an hour.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of handheld systems. I'd be hardpressed to pick a favorite between the psp and ds. There is enough good stuff on both to keep me occupied for this entire console generation(if I buckled down and played it all).

I think a big point here is: after you have kids, handhelds are definitely your friend. Sounds stupid, but it's true. During the day, I would never be able to call dibs on one of the TVs for more than half an hour.

Word Tetris DS is my new friend when taking care of the little one.

megageoff76

Crazed MVS Addict
Agreed.

With the Disney channel running 24/7, and my wife watching her 'stories', theres no way I would get any game time during the week days.

For these reasons, I love my DS.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Even if the DS had a TV out, BonusKun and crew would find a reason to hate it.
I think there's a pretty easy and reasonable answer to that. Even if you could get it on the TV, the graphics would be inferior and would look terrible at TV resolution. The games would still be better on a console, which brings us back to the original problem with handhelds.

The GameCube Game Boy Player was the shit. Too bad there will probably never be anything like that for the DS, what with its two screens and all.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I think there's a pretty easy and reasonable answer to that. Even if you could get it on the TV, the graphics would be inferior and would look terrible at TV resolution. The games would still be better on a console, which brings us back to the original problem with handhelds.

The GameCube Game Boy Player was the shit. Too bad there will probably never be anything like that for the DS, what with its two screens and all.

Mr. Neo Alec, oh how I'm disappointed in you. The GBA has a resolution of only 240 x 160, yet you say it looks great. While the DS has a 256 x 192 resolution, but you say it would look terrible.

So the GBA looks great on a big screen, although it's lower resolution, but the DS would look terrible, even though it has a higher resolution?

Please, don't follow down the blind road of hate BonusKun has paved. It is rot with ignorance and self pwnage.

dark penguin

Mr. Neo Alec, oh how I'm disappointed in you. The GBA has a resolution of only 240 x 160, yet you say it looks great. While the DS has a 256 x 192 resolution, but you say it would look terrible.

So the GBA looks great on a big screen, although it's lower resolution, but the DS would look terrible, even though it has a higher resolution?

Please, don't follow down the blind road of hate BonusKun has paved. It is rot with ignorance and self pwnage.

I don't think a TV out feature for the DS would be impossible, or even improbable.
A likely scenario would be if they let you choose the position of the two screens, ie shift them both to a lateral setup, or switch top and bottom etc.

Obviously, that wouldn't work for all games(Contra 4, Metroid Pinball etc), but for widescreen TVs, having both screens in a lateral presentation would give you more screen real estate used.
I almost expect to see this in the options menu of any future DS TV out device.

That being said, touch screen operations via TV out could potentially be awkward, but if you've seen the photos of Otomedius stick w/ touch panel for the X360, I guess we can infer that questions like these have already been raised by game hardware designers.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

No, I see your logic and how what I said doesn't make sense. Basically, the GameCube Game Boy Player is what it is. At least it allows you to play the portable games on the TV if you want the option. That's not to say that the low resolution is somehow preferrable to a true console game or a newer portable with higher resolution. It's just a shame that we probably won't see a device like that for playing DS games, although I'm sure those of us who really want it are in the minority here and Nintendo won't suffer for it.

That being said, touch screen operations via TV out could potentially be awkward, but if you've seen the photos of Otomedius stick w/ touch panel for the X360, I guess we can infer that questions like these have already been raised by game hardware designers.
The Wiimote would be used for the touch screen.

dark penguin

The Wiimote would be used for the touch screen.

Right you are. I think that could be still be awkward depending on accuracy needed(like targeting a single grid square in Advance Wars) and the relative size of your TV. I've had some frustrating Wii moments with targeting accuracy.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Right you are. I think that could be still be awkward depending on accuracy needed(like targeting a single grid square in Advance Wars) and the relative size of your TV. I've had some frustrating Wii moments with targeting accuracy.

Hey, if Nintendo thought of the Power Glove to solve a problem, they can think of anything.:D