Metal Slug 1 & 2 CD vs. AES

General_Morden

Quiz Detective
Is there any difference between the CD and AES Version of Metal Slug 1 & 2 eg smaller sprites or less animation? thanks!

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
plays the same, but superior to the homecart version (I think that's what you meant by AES. That term isn't really official I think) because it has Combat School, where you can do survival and speed missions and gain rankings. I'd definitely get them if you want to play the game in english and want the most choices for play modes.

Q

qube

EvilWasabi:
plays the same, but superior to the homecart version (I think that's what you meant by AES. That term isn't really official I think) because it has Combat School, where you can do survival and speed missions and gain rankings. I'd definitely get them if you want to play the game in english and want the most choices for play modes.
EW-How are the load times on the CD versions as I have been thinking about picking them both up? :)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
qube:
EvilWasabi:
EW-How are the load times on the CD versions as I have been thinking about picking them both up? :)
Just some loading between stages not too bad.

<small>[ April 27, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: xtoo_short20x ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
qube:
EvilWasabi:
Not bad at all. It loads up the entire level and then you go from there. It's not as tedious as a fighting game were you load between matches every minute. So you don't really feel it as much.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The load times are great on slug1, it only loads between levels.

The load times on slug2 are during the levels, but meh if you want to play it badly.

Slug1 is near identical to the MVS/NGH, after playing lots of CD and MVS I can sure notice differences, but not in gameplay, its identical

Q

qube

kernow
The load times on slug2 are during the levels, but meh if you want to play it badly.
spock What do you mean by during levels? Not during actual in game I hope? More like when you enter a door or whatnot?

<small>[ April 27, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: qube ]</small>

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
qube:
kernow
spock What do you mean by during levels? Not during actual in game I hope? More like when you enter a door or whatnot?
I can't remember exactly, before the bosses and things.. its not unbearable.

Cole

Kin Cle, ,
qube:
kernow
Yup it's when you go through a door. For instance, on level 5 when you get to the end of the train tunnel there will be a load time before the mutant area..

All the levels in the game have something similar to that. Except level 1, there's only the initial load for that level. Some levels even have a quick boss load. (can't remember which ones exactly) It's nothing too bad, the loads are fairly quick. But it can get annoying.

Metal Slug 1, on the other hand, only has a load time before each level and the load time is pretty quick even on a normal CD system. I'd highly recommend getting Metal Slug 1 for CD. :)

<small>[ April 27, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Cole ]</small>

Q

qube

Cole, will do!

...Great that we pretend that we are all that
we enjoy ourselves should we get some help?
we have always failed yet there is no doubt...

Cole

Kin Cle, ,
qube:
Cole, will do!

...Great that we pretend that we are all that
we enjoy ourselves should we get some help?
we have always failed yet there is no doubt...
Also, in case you didn't know, both Metal Slug 1 and 2 contain the combat school which let you play survival mode (good stuff) and I think the other is time trials.

Touche on the lyrics also! Welcome aboard the crazy trip, circle of fools say hi.. Must go put the song on loop now.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
kernow:

Slug1 is near identical to the MVS/NGH, after playing lots of CD and MVS I can sure notice differences, but not in gameplay, its identical
Love the heart throbs!!!!!! lol lol lol

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
There's a new hack that joins the Saturn with the NEO-GEO version(s?), but maybe somebody here already knows the differences it entails?

Weird bump.

Solid advice, still valid 20 years later.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well if they fixed the fucking slowdown in the first place then X would have never existed.

Literally slowdown so bad they did what devs do all the time in 2023, update a game with a patch, but in 1999 that meant something different altogether.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
There's a new hack that joins the Saturn with the NEO-GEO version(s?)
What does this mean? That just looks like a gameplay video, no explanation in it.

And the death by flamethrower yell on the Saturn version makes me cringe every time.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well if they fixed the fucking slowdown in the first place then X would have never existed.
Yeah, I agree they probably wouldn't have made X if not for 2's slowdown.

Ironically, they probably ended up making tons of money re-releasing the game that they wouldn't have otherwise. An inadvertent win. (Case in point, X does not use recycled boards and chips from 2.) Though it probably came at the cost of some customer satisfaction -- I still remember the complaints back when X was released.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Yeah, I agree they probably wouldn't have made X if not for 2's slowdown.
I think that is very likely. I really just wish they had done 2.1 and fixed the slowdown and done nothing else. Ah well, at least we have the turbo version now.