Metal Jesus Rocks Neo Geo

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I don't think he's making as much as you might think. He was working/filming out of a storage area.

His Patreon backers own him now. His new content is awful.

Still, his Patreon is at around $8k a month, which is a pretty good income, especially with any ad money from youtube on top. I think he was preparing to quit until people suggested Patreon to him. I just wish now that he has that backing that he'd take more time on videos, rather than rush out loads of unboxing and play through videos. I actually like the guy, and used to enjoy his videos.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
He doesn't and will never know. He keeps hyping it up like it's a prototype of Earthbound 64 or Zelda, when it's probably just some diagnostics cart.

Actually, he released a video a few days ago showing what's on the blue disk, and explains why he was unable to read the data off of it (basically blue disks are meant for developer consoles, this one was retail so it wouldn't work).

The contents of the disk are a developer program. This is actually pretty fascinating and informative episode.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Still, his Patreon is at around $8k a month, which is a pretty good income, especially with any ad money from youtube on top. I think he was preparing to quit until people suggested Patreon to him. I just wish now that he has that backing that he'd take more time on videos, rather than rush out loads of unboxing and play through videos. I actually like the guy, and used to enjoy his videos.

I'm pretty sure he's well aware on how ridiculous the patreon shout-outs are but still does it just for the kicks (and $$$). I just can't understand how he has so many patrons to amount $8000 month though, I was a fan of his but he started to do shitty, unfun stuff after he first started to promote his website to try to leave youtube with all his viewers with him (remember that?). He went from silly "reviews" of videogames to stuff no one could possibly find entertaining. Even his early 2000 era videos with Dave are 100x better than the kind of videos he does now.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I agree that the '99 and 2000 CGR episodes are the best, but I started watching him right when he started up on YouTube, and I liked it. This was in like 2008 when most gaming shows on YT involved people pointing a camera at the TV screen and just talking, so CGR was higher-quality and I liked Mark's sense of humor. But it's 2016 and it takes more than that to succeed on YT. I also think that Mark has tried to diversify too much. I don't give a shit about his comic books, let's play vids, or unboxings. I just liked his game reviews. But even then, single game reviews don't do well on YT anymore because it's all been done by now. Mark is a marketable personality and I think he could still do very well on YT but he's going in the wrong direction in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Patreon money starts to dwindle, and the show doesn't either completely fold, or become a part time hobby for him (which is what it was in 2008).

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Posting this in here to counteract all the suck.

Spoiler:
Edit: And yes I know I fucking said Axelay instead of Actraiser. I put a fucking annotation in there, I put it in the fucking show notes, and I've already responded to too many fucking comments about it. It was a simple fucking mistake but by the time I knew about it, it was too fucking late to do anything.

subscribed. great saturn video also. really awesome material in the couple of videos ive watched so far.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I agree that the '99 and 2000 CGR episodes are the best, but I started watching him right when he started up on YouTube, and I liked it. This was in like 2008 when most gaming shows on YT involved people pointing a camera at the TV screen and just talking, so CGR was higher-quality and I liked Mark's sense of humor. But it's 2016 and it takes more than that to succeed on YT. I also think that Mark has tried to diversify too much. I don't give a shit about his comic books, let's play vids, or unboxings. I just liked his game reviews. But even then, single game reviews don't do well on YT anymore because it's all been done by now. Mark is a marketable personality and I think he could still do very well on YT but he's going in the wrong direction in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Patreon money starts to dwindle, and the show doesn't either completely fold, or become a part time hobby for him (which is what it was in 2008).

He used to be one of my favorites too, and is a very likable and relatable guy. But even I have to admit that his current content is virtually unwatchable.