Marquee Lights Zapped?

fuerstma

n00b
Hey all,

I'm the proud owner of a Big Red 4 slot. Very cool.

Throwing a little party for some friends this coming weekend so I want to get 'er all ready. When I bought the machine about 5 months ago it was in rough shape but the Marquee lights worked. One day I was swapping out the mini-marquee's and and got a nice electrical "jolt" from the board.

I don't know if it was directly after this, but I can say that as of right now the marquee doesn't light up. I was wondering if I maybe shorted something out with my fat fingers when I was swapping marquees?

Would there be any recommendations for quick fixes for this? I searched the tech section but didn't have much direct luck..

Thanks so much, Matt

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Wow!II..I do know that you get a shock if you touch the leads from the marquee lights(experienced this) but I've never heard of them being shorted out or stopped working due to that..IMO the driver either blew out..or something on the mobo itself..
You need to look over the wiring coming from the mobo to the driver,then lights panel to see if anything burnt.

I'd say you are in need of a driver.(the only thing I could think of)Otherwise your going to have to see if you are actually getting voltage from the mobo to the driver..(voltage amount unknown)
http://www.hardmvs.com/images/parts/MV-ELAsm.jpg
MV-ELA LCD Circuit Board

.....................................................................................................................
Electroluminescent / Indiglo Replacements
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99020

Topic with info.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133725

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
fuerstma said:
Hey all,

I'm the proud owner of a Big Red 4 slot. Very cool.

Throwing a little party for some friends this coming weekend so I want to get 'er all ready. When I bought the machine about 5 months ago it was in rough shape but the Marquee lights worked. One day I was swapping out the mini-marquee's and and got a nice electrical "jolt" from the board.

I don't know if it was directly after this, but I can say that as of right now the marquee doesn't light up. I was wondering if I maybe shorted something out with my fat fingers when I was swapping marquees?

Would there be any recommendations for quick fixes for this? I searched the tech section but didn't have much direct luck..

Thanks so much, Matt

Question..
Did all 4 mini marquee lights work individually?,...then all went out at once..?
or is it just one big bulb..

fuerstma

n00b
Hey Chris,

They all worked individually before appropriately... (IE Slot 1 lighted up with the game in Slot 1 was playing.)

Now none light up all, ever.. sniff... sniff...

I'll take a closer look tonight..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
fuerstma said:
Hey Chris,

They all worked individually before appropriately... (IE Slot 1 lighted up with the game in Slot 1 was playing.)

Now none light up all, ever.. sniff... sniff...

I'll take a closer look tonight..

I'll take a closer look tonight

Cool,LMK if you come accoss anything...burnt wire etc..I'm not sure if the driver would short before a part of the mobo(part of the mobo having to do with working the lights)

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
chris1 said:
Wow!II..I do know that you get a shock if you touch the leads from the marquee lights
I'd say you are in need of a driver.(the only thing I could think of)Otherwise your going to have to see if you are actually getting voltage from the mobo to the driver..(voltage amount unknown)

I scoped the output from the inverter, its around 100 volts peak to peak at 3.6 kHz. Yes it hurts :eek:

fuerstma

n00b
Alright.. got home... I couldn't resist playing a game of Drift Out once I turned it on.. that out of the way.. I unplugged the panels.. I have a line coming from the dark innars to the first panel, and then there's another line connecting Panel #1 to Panel #2... being an idiot, my first step was just unplugging the line coming in from the Neo and plugging it back in and turning the beast back on...

I thought nothing was working, but I switched over to Game #2 and viola! Panel lights up fairly bright. Panel #3... very, very dim. Panel #4.. sorta bright, about 50%... Panel #1 is odd.. there is like a thin line that lights up around the left and bottom of the panels.. the rest of the panel is completely dark.

I imagine this means I am due for a new set of panels.. If I remember correctly the replacement ones were a little pricier than I was willing to pay ($100?). I don't remember if that was for 2 Panels, which I imagine is what I'll need to mimic my setup... Do replacements ever show up on eBay?

Matt

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
They do, but only once in a while, and you don't know what you're getting... :(

( I'm waiting on a complete 4-slot header assembly to come in the mail ;) )

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
fuerstma said:
Alright.. got home... I couldn't resist playing a game of Drift Out once I turned it on.. that out of the way.. I unplugged the panels.. I have a line coming from the dark innars to the first panel, and then there's another line connecting Panel #1 to Panel #2... being an idiot, my first step was just unplugging the line coming in from the Neo and plugging it back in and turning the beast back on...

I thought nothing was working, but I switched over to Game #2 and viola! Panel lights up fairly bright. Panel #3... very, very dim. Panel #4.. sorta bright, about 50%... Panel #1 is odd.. there is like a thin line that lights up around the left and bottom of the panels.. the rest of the panel is completely dark.

I imagine this means I am due for a new set of panels.. If I remember correctly the replacement ones were a little pricier than I was willing to pay ($100?). I don't remember if that was for 2 Panels, which I imagine is what I'll need to mimic my setup... Do replacements ever show up on eBay?

Matt

Great..
Panel one is dead...It may have break in the line-border but it's virtually impossible to fix..(I've done it once)
As Nick says:..the originals do show up on ebay but you don't know what you are getting and most the time they are all dead.

The only hope is these..
Electroluminescent / Indiglo Replacements
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99020
I've never seen these sold on Ebay,but you could sell your working bulbs on ebay once you take them off(gently)
If otherwise and you go to trash them LMK as I'll offer you something for them.