lol guess I am stuck with a Neo Geo Gold X

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Video game grading scale..

View attachment 9695

That's a shit system too. How can 50% be very good. 50% should mean it's missing half the fucking game but the other half is sparkly mint.

There's something about self appointed grading authorities for anything that really boils my piss.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
sounds like another day in the VG ebay world. I swear that site just screws everyone in the long run. I've sold things to people and they returned them saying many ridiculous things, and its perfectly ok for ebay to side with the buyer.

Tiako

New Challenger
That's a shit system too. How can 50% be very good. 50% should mean it's missing half the fucking game but the other half is sparkly mint.

There's something about self appointed grading authorities for anything that really boils my piss.

It's like 2 scatches is good and one scratch is very good. Or a scratch and a sticker might be fair.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This situation would be very similar, the buyer could just file a significantly not as described claim say that the item is defective, which it is- all Neo Geo X systems are defective.

Not saying it is a good thing, but I think Tiako has a realistic outlook. Probably the best option is to take the return and sell the item as used.

This situation is in no way similar. You're comparing the condition of a comic book, which has a multitude of factors going into it, to a video game console that has a feature that the guy didn't like. There's no way he can file a "not as described" claim because it was brand new (unless it got the KPJ handchop of doom). A closer analogy would be buying a shitty comic book and wanting to return it because you didn't like the story.

I've had two complaints on my 16 years of being on eBay, with similar situations, and I flat out refused a refund and proved my case to eBay. I know eBay likes to be vilified, but that guy would have to argue his case and prove the NGX quality was less than that of a normal system. I doubt that guy would come off as anything other than retarded in doing so.

It's completely up to Tiako whether to roll over and give a refund, but I would stand my ground. If you're going to give a refund, at least let it be because eBay forced you and not because you didn't even try to stand up to somebody's bullshit claim.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why not have a no return policy? I never offer returns on ebay.

Top-rated seller discount requires you to accept returns and you're liable anyway if the item is "not as described".

I once sold a record on eBay and the seller filed a claim based on the fact that it supposedly skipped in one spot. He returned the record and filed a claim. I refunded him the cost of the item but not the original shipping charge. eBay refunded him the rest but did not debit my Paypal account further. My advice is to play nice, accept the return, get it back in your hands, then issue a partial refund based on the item no longer being in new condition, and go from there. That way, at least you get it back in one piece, and the worst that could happen is your account is charged anyway. Better than eating the cost and the buyer getting to keep it as well.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone where people aren't reading anything and only responding with some "not as described" horseshit. If the guy doesn't like the quality of the system, it doesn't fall under "not as described" complaint. There's only one way you can describe a brand new game console. It's nothing other than buyer's remorse. There's not a NGX console that exists which he would find acceptable.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone where people aren't reading anything and only responding with some "not as described" horseshit. If the guy doesn't like the quality of the system, it doesn't fall under "not as described" complaint. There's only one way you can describe a brand new game console. It's nothing other than buyer's remorse. There's not a NGX console that exists which he would find acceptable.

I agree that it doesn't fall under this umbrella, but there is a good chance e-bay will adjudicate it that way. The guy can always claim that it doesn't work. From the perspective of some eBay employee, a brand new item that doesn't work is probably going to be judged as significantly not as described.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
This situation is in no way similar. You're comparing the condition of a comic book, which has a multitude of factors going into it, to a video game console that has a feature that the guy didn't like. There's no way he can file a "not as described" claim because it was brand new (unless it got the KPJ handchop of doom). A closer analogy would be buying a shitty comic book and wanting to return it because you didn't like the story.

I think the two situations have some foundational similarities. In both instances, an item was described accurately by the seller. The buyer, after receiving the item, perceives a flaw with the item and wants to return it.

Selling a Neo Geo X is basically like selling a VG comic book- flaws are par for the course.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I agree that it doesn't fall under this umbrella, but there is a good chance e-bay will adjudicate it that way. The guy can always claim that it doesn't work. From the perspective of some eBay employee, a brand new item that doesn't work is probably going to be judged as significantly not as described.

But the guy didn't say it didn't work. He just said he wasn't happy with the quality. Those are two different things, and there's a communication log between the two on eBay that would prove otherwise if he tried to change his complaint.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
But the guy didn't say it didn't work. He just said he wasn't happy with the quality. Those are two different things, and there's a communication log between the two on eBay that would prove otherwise if he tried to change his complaint.

So he says its defective. Whatever.

If you try to argue that all NeoGeo X consoles have that behavior, a logical follow-up from eBay is: why are you selling defective products on our site?

I agree with the OPs pragmatic approach.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So he says its defective. Whatever.

If you try to argue that all NeoGeo X consoles have that behavior, a logical follow-up from eBay is: why are you selling defective products on our site?

I agree with the OPs pragmatic approach.

What behavior? What is it exactly that you're arguing? The buyer got buyer's remorse and used NGX's quality as an excuse. If it's functioning as intended then there's no defective claim that can be substantiated. Unless the OP's system had serious flaws on it that represent anything different from a brand new factory release, it's not defective.

You guys are quick to bend over for the buyers. I'll be sure to watch your auctions in case I ever want to rent a game/console from you guys, lol.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
What behavior? What is it exactly that you're arguing? The buyer got buyer's remorse and used NGX's quality as an excuse. If it's functioning as intended then there's no defective claim that can be substantiated. Unless the OP's system had serious flaws on it that represent anything different from a brand new factory release, it's not defective.

You guys are quick to bend over for the buyers. I'll be sure to watch your auctions in case I ever want to rent a game/console from you guys, lol.

I agree with you- in principle.

I fought my SNAD claim tooth and nail, and eBay sided with the buyer without providing any feedback or reasoning. Their process was a black box. The OP does have something to lose here- eBay can decide to give the buyer their money back and let them keep the item. It happens, probably more than you think.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon

Although I don't know if they actually have pro graders for games that are worth a damn, but that's similar to a scale they use in currency trading. The numbers wouldn't be percentages. In currency grading, a brand new coin fresh off the mint might not even get a perfect score. Only some amount of the very first struck coins reach the perfect 70. I assume the grading scale for games would be similar. Brand new in the original wrapping could still only be a 85 if it's like been sitting in the sun for a year or something.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon

I fought my SNAD claim tooth and nail, and eBay sided with the buyer without providing any feedback or reasoning. Their process was a black box. The OP does have something to lose here- eBay can decide to give the buyer their money back and let them keep the item. It happens, probably more than you think.

I don't think anyone is saying that your characterization of eBay is wrong. It's just that the fact that eBay operates in this way is annoying and a reason to dislike using eBay.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Although I don't know if they actually have pro graders for games that are worth a damn, but that's similar to a scale they use in currency trading. The numbers wouldn't be percentages. In currency grading, a brand new coin fresh off the mint might not even get a perfect score. Only some amount of the very first struck coins reach the perfect 70. I assume the grading scale for games would be similar. Brand new in the original wrapping could still only be a 85 if it's like been sitting in the sun for a year or something.

I think you are right and that coin collectors were the originators of some of these modern collectible "grading" concepts. Grading scales for almost all collectibles draw inspiration from the "Sheldon Scale" of coin collecting.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Which is why he should do everything possible to at least get it back. As SonGohan said, the "not as described" thing is bullshit, but that doesn't matter. If you fight and lose, you end up out the money and possibly the item as well.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Which is why he should do everything possible to at least get it back. As SonGohan said, the "not as described" thing is bullshit, but that doesn't matter. If you fight and lose, you end up out the money and possibly the item as well.

I hope you never get accused of a crime you didn't do or your turd cutter is likely to be squeezing on some felon meat pretty swiftly.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I hope you never get accused of a crime you didn't do or your turd cutter is likely to be squeezing on some felon meat pretty swiftly.

Oh yeah, why's that?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
lol guess I am stuck with a Neo Geo Gold X
If you, at any point, decided that it was a <insert adjective> idea to buy a NeoGeo X, then I'm afraid the overwhelming REALISTIC end possibilities were ALWAYS 'lol' and 'stuck with'.

In short: you ONLY have yourself to blame. Ever...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

I think it is more recently that it started to be this way though. I could be wrong, but filing a complaint used to take a while and was actually an involved process. Nowadays, they just side with the buyer regardless of the reason.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think it is more recently that it started to be this way though. I could be wrong, but filing a complaint used to take a while and was actually an involved process. Nowadays, they just side with the buyer regardless of the reason.

I've had my fair share of claims in 1500+ eBay transactions and never lost a single one. Maybe I've just been lucky but remaining civil/professional with problem buyers, accepting returns, or offering reasonable discounts has always worked for me.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I've had my fair share of claims in 1500+ eBay transactions and never lost a single one. Maybe I've just been lucky but remaining civil/professional with problem buyers, accepting returns, or offering reasonable discounts has always worked for me.

Yea, it might depend a lot on the buyer too. I'm in the same position as you in regards to not having a lot of problems, but I know as of late, some friends have had more and more problem buyers showing up and winning cases with little effort.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I sell a ton on there.. Trust me seller protection wouldn't do shit. He would just complain it is defective or broken due to vertical scan lines. The reason it is being returned. Ebay wouldn't do any research and agree the product is defective due to it being a POS..

But it is like me selling an Atari and someone complaining it is too blocky. Honestly, since it was a gift they guy might have wanted an AES and he got this for him instead. So of course it is a POS compared to what he was expecting.. sigh..

I sell a ton on there.. Trust me seller protection wouldn't do shit. He would just complain it is defective or broken due to vertical scan lines. The reason it is being returned. Ebay wouldn't do any research and agree the product is defective due to it being a POS..

He would just complain it is defective or broken due to vertical scan lines.

vertical scan lines

i8TkDCl.jpg

i8TkDCl.jpg

i8TkDCl.jpg

I still can't believe this when I read it. What a POS :keke:

Tiako

New Challenger
So now that I have it back.. thinking about selling it used on here maybe. What price is fair 105 bucks shipped? they sell for about 120ish on ebay.