Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

it290

Not so MEGA, eh?
Not a fan of the texturing and gloss on that mask — anyone know if it's possible to print using a darker, smoother, matte black material? If not I may just cut some black bristol board or something, been awhile since the old xacto skills had a workout anyway.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Not a fan of the texturing and gloss on that mask

Well it acts more than just a facade. It apparently holds your LCD in place as well.

Besides, it won't matter when there are custom screens built for the smaller LCD available. That shit will be hidden.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
BennVenn seems to be avoiding the question on his backlit kit release on Facebook. He's been asked several times, with no response.

If he's going to play coy about it, I might just have to say fuckit and get the aliexpress version.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BennVenn seems to be avoiding the question on his backlit kit release on Facebook. He's been asked several times, with no response.

If he's going to play coy about it, I might just have to say fuckit and get the aliexpress version.

same

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Got my AliExpress screen and installed it today with the Laserbear bezel mask.

5d7035b6bae5a022806f40643a943cd5.jpg

So far so good. The hardest part was getting all the cables connected correctly with my sausage fingers. I had to reseat them a couple times before I got it working.

Not having to solder was a big plus as well. It was a bit nerve wracking folding up all the thin cables and closing it up. I kept feeling like I was braking something until it worked.

I’m not as bothered with the smaller screen like I thought I would. Maybe I’ve just been playing too much GBC lately? :)

I couldn’t figure out a good place to mount the touch control for the brightness setting. So I set it to max and have it floating inside at the moment. I expected the screen to be brighter but it’s still nice.

Also at some point myself or a previous owner spilled liquid on the console. The metal bezel at the top of the old screen had rusted and dripped rusty goo all over the inside. Cleaned up nicely but it was a weird surprise.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That actually doesn't look half-bad. I'm sure with the newer glass coming it would look more like a production unit. The 3D print patterns always bugged me as looking so DIY.
But under the glass here it looks decent.

I've been on a Card Fighters Clash 2 kick lately. Been playing a bunch at my desk in between builds, so I get good 10 min matches in before having to look back up at my monitor. Shit, I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on this screen. BennVenn be damned.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I've seen at least one installed in a slim, which is all I have at the moment and the prices for systems got stupid along with everything else. Wondering if I should pull the trigger knowing I'll be jamming this inside a slim? argh! want! [tableflip]

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Anyone have bright spot(s) on their backlit screen? Mine has one that's pretty noticeable and super disappointing to find on a $50 part. I'm probably going to contact the seller and complain.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
From Facebook:
BennVenn said:
I just received an email from one of our LCD suppliers. They've found an IPS panel the same size as the OEM GBC LCD!

Freckleshack v3?

Then someone asks:

This could potentially work in NGPC?

Benn's reply:

BennVenn said:
it will be a perfect fit with perfect scaling

So it seems that the Freckleshack is still going to happen for the NGPC.

Whippy

Banned
Not a fan of the texturing and gloss on that mask — anyone know if it's possible to print using a darker, smoother, matte black material? If not I may just cut some black bristol board or something, been awhile since the old xacto skills had a workout anyway.
One could have vinyl cut to fit the foam, and it would look smooth under the glass. You could even get a color that matches your unit. IF you are really good, you could even use dark window tint, and adhere it directly to the glass....but if you can't be sure about air bubbles, I wouldn't go that route.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Yeah I am really digging it tbh.
No more eye strain and the actual screen seems good quality to.

I was unsure about the textured bezel but its growing on me!

I wasn’t sure I’d dig the bezel or the screen size, but once you get playing you hardly notice it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been playing this game since it first came out almost twenty years ago and I never realized there was a Crystal medal.
3d214e6ed0495bb1bf824e0624626668.jpg

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Ya see, I scroll up and down on this page and compare those backlit screens with GohanX’s and I just can’t bring myself to losing that original screen size.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ya see, I scroll up and down on this page and compare those backlit screens with GohanX’s and I just can’t bring myself to losing that original screen size.

Less eye strain on the smaller lit one :D

-SD-

Camel Slug
I finally got my hands on the third, and seemingly quite elusive, cover variant of Samurai Shodown!2... this is only the second one of these I’ve ever seen!

(Top middle is the new one)

jqd25gr.jpg

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I finally got my hands on the third, and seemingly quite elusive, cover variant of Samurai Shodown!2... this is only the second one of these I’ve ever seen!

(Top middle is the new one)

jqd25gr.jpg

Are you collecting all snap-case variants? I've never seen a comprehensive list of them compiled. Over the years, I have known a bunch of people to start on the quest to get them all, but I never saw them finish.

I can't say I have ever noticed the top one with the centered logo before. Is it a later English version with ELSPA rating?

-SD-

Camel Slug
No, just going for alternate covers as and when. I have the Tennis variant, just looking for the Baseball Stars Color without the Color, and that’ll be it.