Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
$300 modded npgc simply isnt worth it. The game are just to fucking moronically over priced and while they're fun they just don't hold up. Theres better stuff you could b playing portably for vastly cheaper too. Plus its a easily emulated system.

Meezzio

n00b
It would be at $300, fortunately if past performance of Benn Venn is anything to go by it will be well below $100 and regarding games.. flash cart solutions have that sorted.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Which metal slug? The second one is a ton of fun and I prefer that one

Sorry missed this, It was the first one. I flogged it on ebay for £22 which was half of what I paid for the bundle :D
Pretty happy with that hah.

But yeah regarding the over priced games in neo geo, would anyone expect otherwise!?
I have about 6 original game for the NGPC but I am on the list for a flash cart so will be getting one ASAP, Would love to play slug 2 but thats crazy money.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
$300 modded npgc simply isnt worth it. The game are just to fucking moronically over priced and while they're fun they just don't hold up. Theres better stuff you could b playing portably for vastly cheaper too. Plus its a easily emulated system.

Well it's definitely not worth it for that Etsy version. You can tell the screen isn't even the right aspect ratio, since some of the pixels are getting crunched/stretched.
BennVenn promises a non-scaled aspect ratio, and you can be certain that his kit will not cost $300.

Also, you're on crack if you think the NGPC games don't hold up. The fighting games are great, and very accessible. It's no wonder there are current developers making games that follow that style, look up Pocket Rumble on the Nintendo Switch. The Metal Slugs are great, have a good feel to the controls and gameplay that mimics the arcade versions. The sprite art for all the games is so stylish. Better looking than any Gameboy Color game at the time, and again it's used as an inspiration for newer games being developed or released presently.

As for price, you must be new to Neo Geo hardware. Anything Neo Geo related is expensive.

Yeah you can emulate it. Go right ahead. But I haven't found one emulation solution that allows me to play on a cool handheld console with the nice clicky 8-way joystick. Apart from the great games that still hold up, the joystick is a major part of the experience of playing on the real thing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The clicky stick is a game changer. Every time I let someone unfamiliar try it, they go "ohhhhhhhh"

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I'll admit the clicky stick is excellent but, I feel like for the time is as great but now you can literally play actual neo games portably instead.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
The clicky stick is a game changer. Every time I let someone unfamiliar try it, they go "ohhhhhhhh"

Haha same! There are flashcart options so you can play the games on original hardware.

To be completely fair to the pocket, Homecarts and MVS started with high prices on release. The pocket was cheap for many many years. It’s only more recently that prices have jumped on a bunch of stuff

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Any news on a backlight mod for these yet? The GB color now has a couple options.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Just seen this from BennVenn:

2prQyNq.png

fLgHcSU.jpg

Looks like an affordable solution for now, which could be improved upon in the future.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Just seen this from BennVenn:

2prQyNq.png

fLgHcSU.jpg

Looks like an affordable solution for now, which could be improved upon in the future.

Yeah I saw that this morning.
Looking forward to getting my grubby paws on one and at the cost I dont mind taking a gamble on it.
Gotta be better than how the front light turned out :(

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm not too concerned with the smaller sized screen, as long as the pixels aren't getting scaled in some oblong way. The Etsy guy's LCD is clearly doing some bad scaling, causing some uneven pixels.

But for the price he's estimating, and the no-soldering, no-cut solution, this is sounding fantastic!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I am all over this - I should be getting a Freckleshack any day now for my GBC. Sounds like that will give me a good impression of how this will look. Betweena a backlit GB, and now GBC and NGPC - very glad I've hung onto my old handhelds. The only one I slightly regret selling was my Atari Lynx collection....but then I load up the games in emulator and remember, "oh, that's right...this kinda sucked"

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’m all over this too. I recently got a Midwest Embedded screen for my GBC and love it. It’s slightly smaller than a standard screen too, but it looks magnificent. Once you start playing you hardly notice it anyway.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I must be missing something because that example image looks dreadful.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm on the verge of selling my copy of Evolution: Eternal Dungeons (UK version). Do you guys think it's a good time to do so? I won't play it, and if I want to, there's always the Pi.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Well... I'm probably not a good advisor for that question as I'm after that game myself... but from a financial point of view it's a good time to sell it. The NGPC games have skyrocketed in price and Evolution is no exception with that.

And on another note I picked up Hanafuda Doujou and Dark Arms recently. It has been quite a long time since I got me my last NGPC game but these two were still on the list and I really enjoy them. After all the NGPC was the console that brought me close to the Neo Geo (AES) and therefor it will always have a special place in my heart :)

img_20190630_173310_hdpj5b.jpg

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea, Dark Arms has shot up in recent memory. It's a good game too, but I haven't played it in years. I notice Evolution doesn't come up for sale very often on 'teh bay.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Every time one sells, it goes up in price. So yeah, it's a pretty good time to sell.

Shinchan

n00b
Every time one sells, it goes up in price. So yeah, it's a pretty good time to sell.

I mean, if that's the case and you want to maximize what you get, shouldn't you wait until you are selling the last one for sale in the whole world? :)

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I mean, if that's the case and you want to maximize what you get, shouldn't you wait until you are selling the last one for sale in the whole world? :)

it's not worth anything until you sell it.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
NTM retweeted about a GBC back-lit screen that is now available on AliExpress with a ribbon cable to fit the NGPC.

"Apparently there is a new NGPC backlight on the block. It's a GBC backlight kit that has a different ribbon cable to adapt it to Neo Geo Pocket Color. From the AliExpress page, it says 'it can support NGPC and GBC ,the same price to you.'"

Its a little less than $50 shipped.

Also, easy install and "no welding."

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
NTM retweeted about a GBC back-lit screen that is now available on AliExpress with a ribbon cable to fit the NGPC.

"Apparently there is a new NGPC backlight on the block. It's a GBC backlight kit that has a different ribbon cable to adapt it to Neo Geo Pocket Color. From the AliExpress page, it says 'it can support NGPC and GBC ,the same price to you.'"

Its a little less than $50 shipped.

Also, easy install and "no welding."

Doesn't looks like it has the same aspect ratio:

Replacement-For-Nintend-GBC-High-Light-Screen-LCD-Modification-Kit-Accessories-for-GBC-5-Segment-Adjustable.jpg

Definetly some sprite crushing going on here. That would bother the hell out of me.
BennVenn promises that his NGPC backlight kit is going to have the proper aspect ratio with no weird squishy sprites.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yeah, I’m going to wait for the BennVenn screen too. I saw a YouTube video on this, or a similar screen, a few weeks ago being installed in a GBC and it just looked odd.

And does anyone know what’s happened with Thor’s port of Pocket Rumble?

Last edited: