• Last Resort

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • ASO II / Alpha Mission II

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
What do you guys pr3efer, side scrollng shooters or top down shooters? Top down myself

It is funny how they feel so different yet they're pretty much the same thing. I don't have a preference. Just so long as the game had some effort put into it.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I think I like vertical shooters better in general but actually my favorite shmup series is gradius, oddly enough.

In general for me, though, compile and toaplan shooters are king ..all vertical.

DeusVult

Another Striker
i prefer side scrolling shooters, but there is there are top shooters on both, plus with widescreen tv's you get more visibility of whats coming to kill you

DeusVult

Another Striker
Exactly. It's not real widescreen unless you're playing a brand new game. It's 4:3 stretched. You're not getting any actual increased play field vs a CRT .

I do like it for some games, though.

i know, okay i never meant i got any increased play field, but i also like to play my scrolling shooters this way as i feel i get better visibilty, maybe not but its what i prefer.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
i know, okay i never meant i got any increased play field, but i also like to play my scrolling shooters this way as i feel i get better visibilty, maybe not but its what i prefer.

Hey, I like it too. It's just that with some games the horizontal movement speed gets notably faster than the x axis movement, and it gets unplayable. I only seem to have this problem with cave shooters, though.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I have them both, I love each of them for their own specific reasons. But, I half to give Last Resort the edge here. Like everyone has said the graphics are amazing as well as the sound track. I personally love the controls of the game charging the orb to track the walls is killer. The only gripe I have is the second loop this isn't freakin Ghost N' Goblins. I usually turn it off after the first loop has been beat, such a drag to half to do it again.

Things I like about AM2 the armor upgrades are very cool. The flame thrower I think is the most powerful and best "for me". I love the "Black Hole" armor upgrade this is so cool never played a game where you get to create a black hole to send your enemies into. : ) But, it's not a very good weapon, I like the stage bosses some are very creative.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Alpha Mission 2. I enjoy the weapon system and pace much more. LR has more polish, but has always felt much more like a grind to take on. Also,

I love ASOII, it's one of my fave old-style vert shmups. Once you got the Armor thing down, it's nothing less than amazing.

Last Resort is excellent as well, could have been a bit less R-Type-ish, though.

Then again, there's a bit of apples to oranges involved here...

This.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Last Resort - I like both, but LR's atmosphere clinches it for me.