Which do you think is the better game?

• Last Resort

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • ASO II / Alpha Mission II

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just wondered where peoples preferences and opinion lie regarding which is/was the better of these two titles. Interest was sparked by a recent discussion, whereby a fellow members' preference between the two titles lay ABSOLUTELY in ASO II/Alpha Mission II's camp.

Sorry to run with the waning, clichéd theme of 'Serious Talk', but it is what it is.

Anyway... seems like a fair fight :emb:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why is this even debatable? Last Resort is an excellent but excruciatingly difficulty game. Alpha Mission II just sucks.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I'm actually interested in hearing from someone who voted for ASO II on their choice. Don't like Last Resort, or what is it that you find superior about ASO II?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Alpha Mission 2 hands down. I like the pacing as it is pretty unique and the graphics hold up well.

Last Resort did nothing for me really and was a grind for me to play.

DeusVult

Another Striker
I like alpha mission 2 but last resort wins for me......close call though

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Last resort for me due to the nostalgia factor......... Remember getting pissed off with it in the blackpool arcades back in the 90s. It's hard as nails but still love the look of it even today.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I absolutely hate Alpha Mission 2 for some reason. Nothing logical from what I remember. I got both games around the same time and while I sold Alpha Mission 2 off about a year ago, Last Resort is still with me (and currently the game in my MVS).

Last Resort has atmosphere, a great attention to detail lavished on the graphics and one of my favourite soundtracks on the Neo Geo.

Alpha Mission 2 lacked in all of these from what I can remember.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Alpha Mission 2, might pick it up again and see why I hated it so much.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
To me Alpha Mission II has better pacing and an intriguing weapons system
I also prefer Vertical over horizontal shmups.

Keep in mind I lack a tate set-up for Vertical shumps.
Not an issue with NEO GEO titles, but for other systems and jamma boards the Tate or portrait orientation works better.
Right now everything I got is set to Yoko mode. :(

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Arguing that Alpha Mission 2 is better than Last Resort seems very contrarian. There's no accounting for taste I suppose.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Arguing that Alpha Mission 2 is better than Last Resort seems very contrarian. There's no accounting for taste I suppose.

Well in Last Resorts Defense, Last Resort overall is a more polished game.
The visuals and sound is a bit better

Then again people hated me for saying the new Killer Instinct is a crap generic POS excuse of a fighter made by a shadow of a one good Nintendo developer (rare) and a studio with the worst worst track record (double helix).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This is a bit like asking if people liked vertizontal or hori. So it's not going to be one sided.

DeusVult

Another Striker
last resort is easier to get into but ASOII is tougher to get into untill you get used to power ups, someone on the forum recently done a good power up overlay for ASOII which helped me.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
This is a bit like asking if people liked vertizontal or hori. So it's not going to be one sided.
Well, I like to think the good members of this forum are MORE open-minded that to allow a simplistic difference like orientation affect their decision/choice of which Shoot Em Up they think, overall, is the better game or 'best game', in their opinion.

I know I wouldn't think that Planet Joker on Saturn was better than Thunderforce V on Saturn, just because of the orientation preference alone...

Last Resort is prettier but very short.

ASOII is way harder and has more replay value than LR.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Is this even serious?

I like Alpha Mission 2 a lot for various reasons ( was my very first Neo Geo shooter I had the chance to play on a AES ) but comparing it
to Last Resort is sacrilege.

I just wished Last Resort had like 2 more stages ( and a good difficulty balance in between them ) instead of a second loop.
Last Resort screams quality from every MEG it has.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I actually prefer aso 2. I really like the weapon system. I'm a huge fan of aso/alpha mission on the nes as well, and aso 2 is basically a beefed up version of that.

That said, last resort is awesome. The ambience an visuals are astounding, for sure. I just like the gameplay of aso2 a little better.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I love ASOII, it's one of my fave old-style vert shmups. Once you got the Armor thing down, it's nothing less than amazing.

Last Resort is excellent as well, could have been a bit less R-Type-ish, though.

Then again, there's a bit of apples to oranges involved here...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Alpha Mission 2.

For me it wins by default due to nostalgia.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Last Resort is the better of the two games. But Alpha Mission 2 has some nice graphics, especially if you play it on a big PVM, in RGB.

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
ASO 2 was one of the first Neo games I ever played, really dig the weapon power-up system, flame cannons were so cool.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
What do you guys pr3efer, side scrollng shooters or top down shooters? Top down myself